Transporters

66mustang

How does it work? How do they have enough time to come back from a race and get to another in four days when they are in different parts of the country?

They have everything ready before the truck gets back. When the truck gets back to the shop they quickly unload then load it back up and its off to the next race. Some teams have 2 trucks and the peopel at the shop get it loaded while they are at the races. Its alot of practice to get it to the track on time. If a tire blows or somethign stops the truck for a while they might not make it on time!!

But how can you possibly drive across the country in only a few days?

I think I read someplace that for the races out West, they will have a "team" of drivers......its a non-stop trip.

NON STOP? 2 drivers?If they have 2 trucks then its no problem!! The BGN guys have there work cut out for them!!! This week was OK. the Rock was not too far from most of the shops. For the #1 BGN team based in Florida. that would be hard to do. For Brewco which is in Kentucky it made it a little easier sicne the truck had to ro west anyways to Vegas the shop is on the way!!

What would they do if the transporter crashes and also destroyed the cars?

They would be SOL!!!!
If the race is far away they might try to fly a car or something to the track?

66Mustang,
With two driver's and pushing the speed limits a bit I know drivers who make it LA to Boston in around 60 hours hauling produce.

Most of the NASCAR team haulers leave the shop on either Tuesday evening or Wednesday morning and run straight through and most of the teams now do have at least two haulers so that one can be serviced, loaded and ready to go every other week.
Drivers leave the tracks as soon as the race is over on Sunday, usually are home sometime late Monday or early Tuesday which allows them at least one day to do their turnaround.

I think it was the 28 team that did lose a hauler in a wreck on the way to Pocono a few years back. If memory serves me correctly, one of the other teams went back with their hauler and brought that team to the track and arrangements were made to get another hauler there to bring the equipment home.

Well, some of the BGN teams must have 2 haulers since I already saw them coming through here on Monday evening and we would be the halfway point of the journey on I40.

It's a push for some, especially the BGN teams this week since the race was delayed at Rockingham and they need to be in Vegas tomorrow morning.

As boB and others have said, with a two driver team it is done all the the time. Over the road truckers face these types of logistic problems constantly. It's just part of the deal.

Even for the BGN boys with only one hauler, they leave Rockingham sometime Monday aft and likely at the shop by Monday night. The drivers grab some sleep and the team members unload and load the hauler during the night. Sometime around midday on Tuesday they should be ready to roll.

Figure its about 2200 miles from Charlotte to Las Vegas so that is around the average distance that needs to be covered. The weather this week is messing up the trip bad, but that is part of the deal as well sometimes. Anyways, a two driver team should be able to cover the distance in 38 to 44 hours. That will get you to the track on time, I think check-in starts around 9 AM on Thursday, which is 48 hours from Noon on Tuesday in Charlotte.

To a pro, it tighter than you would like, but very doable.

This week, the Winston Cup folks have two full additional days to get the trip done, piece of cake.

As to losing a hauler and contents for whatever reason. You just do what you can. Depends entirely on the teams circumstances regarding equipment and personnel. Like boB said, it has happened before.

If ya go over to NOL, there is an article about the troubles the weather is causing this week, plus some timeframe info on the trip.

Thanks for the information. I had always thought there was only one transporter driver and I didn't know how they got there so fast. It makes sense now with a team of drivers.

Some did get stuck by the snow in texas!! There is a story on Jayski!!!

I live a couple of hours away from the majority of the race teams (in Asheville, NC) & the Transporters have to roll right down I-40 which I can see out my office window. I saw several Team transporters go down I-40 on Tuesday but heard they were stuck in Texas late Wednesday evening, because of bad weather.

Back
Top Bottom