Trivia

Whizzer

Gig'em
Who did the first reverse victory lap ??
What else was significant about it ??

Please post answer to BOTH trivia guestions for full credit. Partial responses not accepted. :cheers:

Alan Kulwicki - Nov. 6, 1988 at Phoenix International Raceway his first victory "the polish victory lap" was done so that he could get closer to the fans.

Originally posted by MCanyon@Mar 27 2004, 02:16 PM
Alan Kulwicki - Nov. 6, 1988 at Phoenix International Raceway    his first victory          "the polish victory lap" was done so that he could get closer to the fans.

You are partly right but not the answer I was looking for, so, ya only answered half the trivia and therefore is not acceptable. I'm not sure about the part of wanting to get closer to the fans as Kulwicki had asked Bill France, Jr. a long time in advance if he could do a reverse victory lap if and when he won his first NASCAR race. :D

Wanna try again ????

No other takers??? This is NOT a trick question !!!!

Originally posted by MCanyon@Mar 27 2004, 05:06 PM
just a guess, but is it because kulwicki was polish
Do you mean, Polish, as of heritage from the country of Poland???

Or do you mean polish, as in shoe polish ???

In either case, the answer is still, "NO" !!!!!!!!!!!

Care to try again ?? Are there no other readers willing to take a guess on this trivia question ??? This is NOT a trick question !!!!!!!

I thought everybody here was a NASCAR fan and knew thier stuff. Ask a question some can't understand or know where to look in the book and they stay away. If nothing else, at least MCanyon is giving it the old college try. :cheers:

Ok, this is my final attempt i think, and if it isnt right someone else can try. my first guess was the polish victory lap was done so that the driver (kulwicki) could be closer to the fans (i had heard that somewhere before). since that isnt correct, i had to search the internet, and the best i could find is that he wanted his victory to be fun, and didnt care about nascar protocol. i know this doesnt sound like the greatest answer, but it was all i could find.

actually, after rereading your question i know that is wrong, because you wanted to know the significance of the lap, but making the victory "fun" doesnt really have that much significance.

I remember him wanting to do a reverse lap to celebrate his first win, Nascar said no way but Alan did it anyway. It also may have been the first owner driver to win in the modern era.
The whole owner driver thing took off after Alan won his championship in 92.

Well Alan was one that always wanted to do it "his way".........so he did his victory lap his way!! :)

I'm afraid you're gonna have to..........I haven't a clue! :wacko:

It was the first victory by a guy who's name started with a "K" and had a "W" in it? :huh:

POLISH VICTORY LAP REMEMBERED (Steve Knudtson, AutoGeek Motorsports Team)

Many fans of NASCAR, such as myself, for many years have seen drivers come and go. Car owners, crew members, crew chiefs, sponsors change, nothing out of the ordinary in racing. But one driver to me always will stand out and that was Alan Kulwicki. Alan was a man that did it all as far as racing goes. He was his own engineer, shop cleaner, numbers man and oh yes, the driver...we can't forget that. I remember watching him race in Busch Series, SCCA and he finally made it to the big time Winston Cup, a dream for any driver.

In 1992 Kulwicki changed NASCAR history running his own team with one sponsor that people would know which was Hooters Restaurant. He came back from an almost 300 point deficit to win the Championship in 1992. He was racing against names such as Davey Allison with Robert Yates, Bill Elliot who at the time was on top of the world racing for the legendary Junior Johnson who at the time was one of the few car owners running multi-car teams. With 6 races left to go in the season Alan Kulwicki was trailing Bill Elliot by 278 points, a large point spread for any driver. Paul Andrews at the time was crew chief and said remembering Kulwicki, "You can't talk about the '92 season without mentioning Dover." At Dover Kulwicki had torn up three racecars that year. Andrews followed up with, "Heck you know we replaced five clips in 1992 and they were all from Dover. We wrecked four cards in two race weekends." (Clips are the racecar's very front and back sections, welded onto the chassis tubing.)

After those two miserable weekends, Kulwicki was able to change history. He was able to get close enough to give point leader Davey Allison a run for his money. Atlanta that year was the showdown of the south; the Civil War was about to begin again with Kulwicki being from Wisconsin as the Yankee and Bill Elliot being the Confederate. It came down to Kulwicki out-driving Elliot by one lap; he led 103 laps to Elliot's 102 laps. It was a nail biter. Kulwicki got bonus points for leading the most laps that clinched the Championship over Elliot. If he hadn't gotten those five extra points it would have been a tie in number of points, but Elliot would have been the champion because that would have made his fifth victory of the season to Kulwicki's four. After the win at Atlanta, Alan Kulwicki did something never before seen by race people. He went the opposite direction of the track, which was nicknamed the "Polish Victory Lap" in honor of his polish heritage.

Originally posted by MCanyon@Mar 27 2004, 09:06 AM
So this was the correct second part of the question? :D

Originally posted by DE_Wrangler_2+Mar 27 2004, 10:39 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DE_Wrangler_2 @ Mar 27 2004, 10:39 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--MCanyon@Mar 27 2004, 09:06 AM
So this was the correct second part of the question? :D [/b][/quote]
If I were the judge, I would find for DE! :D

Because he was Polish? It's not like he immagrated.

He was an engineer...apparently, he was the only WC driver with a college degree.

it is true that he was the first cup driver with a college degree to win a championship but how is that significant to the polish victory lap.

i wouldnt mind a tiny clue to just push us in the direction to the answer

I see I've been reading this question wrong! It's not what's significant about the race but what's significant about the LAP.

Originally posted by Patrick9999@Mar 28 2004, 12:49 PM
I see I've been reading this question wrong! It's not what's significant about the race but what's significant about the LAP.
Hope this helps. If not, I'll post another one later. This is the first

Okay, here is the clue, and Patrick9999, you were correct in guessing the trivia question was in reference to the race and not the "Polish Victory Lap".

Alan Kulwicki accomplished three things that day, two were recorded for NASCAR history and the third was the "Polish Victory Lap". :cheers:

oh, i was thinking you wanted to know what was significant about the lap.

the race at phoenix in which he did the reverse victory lap was his first victory in winston cup.

Originally posted by racer8@Mar 27 2004, 04:15 PM

The whole owner driver thing took off after Alan won his championship in 92.
Not even remotely true. Anyone who watched a race in the 60s, the 70s, the 80s...all had owner drivers and some were fairly respectable. Kulwicki was more the last successful owner/driver than the first.

I stand corrected, I have only been following this since 88, based on what I've seen It sure seemed to me that owner driver got popular, again, after 92. You are right about Alan being the last succesful owner driver.

Originally posted by racer8@Mar 28 2004, 03:23 PM
wasn't it the first cup race at phoenix

CONGRATS to Racer8 for getting the final part of the question.

Alan Kulwicki won his first and the first NASCAR Cup race held at Phoenix.

He also did his "Polish Victory Lap " there. :cheers:

Back
Top Bottom