Trouble for Salem?

D

Digger

If you watched the Kentuckiana Ford Dealers 200, you probably saw the track was in horrible condition. The teams, drivers and ARCA officials noticed this and they weren't thrilled.

Anyways, my people are telling me ARCA may move their dates to Winchester and/or ORP at Indianapolis if they don't repave the track.

Sure would suck to see Salem go, but the fate of the track is up to the owners.

Yeah Salem has been really bad since I started going there which was April 2006. It wouldn't bother me if they removed it. I like when they change the schedule up, makes it more interesting. Unlike Sprint Cup which is the exact same schedule every year.

Yeah Salem has been really bad since I started going there which was April 2006. It wouldn't bother me if they removed it. I like when they change the schedule up, makes it more interesting. Unlike Sprint Cup which is the exact same schedule every year.

I wouldn't put a lawn-mower on that track. :eek:

Some of the teams told me Salem is almost as rough on tires as Rockingham is.

Salem has been a dump since the early '90's. I hate that place. Some great fans and the track people treat you well but it is still a dump. The only thing that Salem has going for it are two long time race sponsors, Kentuckiana Ford Dealers and Eddie Gilstrap. ARCA wants more and better tracks but then they have too find a bunch of title sponsors and associate sponsors and ARCA does not have the people too do it. No self promotion here at all. It is tough to leave with sponsors in place but ARCA is no longer embracing Salem as tight as they once did.

Winchester would be nice. Pretty much the same dimensions but pit road is a problem. It was repaved in the early/mid '90's and has to be better than Salem. ORP is a 1st class track but the racing would not be as good on that flat track.

Now if we really want a wish list and stay in the same general region then :beerbang: ELDORA :beerbang: is at the top of the list!

Now if we really want a wish list and stay in the same general region then :beerbang: ELDORA :beerbang: is at the top of the list!

ARCA asked me what a good track in the DC area to run would be and I told them Hagerstown or VMS would be a good track for the series. They told me they won't run on a dirt track smaller than a mile, since it would create an unequal advantage for guys who come from dirt track backgrounds (Arpin, Sheltra, etc.).

I think Winchester would be better than Salem. As far as ORP being flat and not as exciting, I'll tell you it's one of my favorite tracks on the circuit. ORP produces some fantastic side-by-side racing. One of the best races of the year in Nationwide.

ARCA ran the 5/8 mile West Virginia Motor Speedway in '97. It was a good race and they had planned on going back. There was a problem between the track owner and promoter and ARCA never went back. Over last decade or so the dirt track exeperts never really panned out all that much. Some have done well but have not dominated year in and out. The last one I can recall was Billy Thomas in the mid to late '90s. Kimmel has one a bunch but I would not put him in that dirt shoe catagory.

ARCA ran the 5/8 mile West Virginia Motor Speedway in '97. It was a good race and they had planned on going back. There was a problem between the track owner and promoter and ARCA never went back. Over last decade or so the dirt track exeperts never really panned out all that much. Some have done well but have not dominated year in and out. The last one I can recall was Billy Thomas in the mid to late '90s. Kimmel has one a bunch but I would not put him in that dirt shoe catagory.
I know I'm bias because I live here, but the DC market is missing in all the sportsman divisions.

No CRA, no UARA, no ARCA. :mad:

UARA officials told me they won't race in DC because of the hostile market.

Allow me to elaborate on this hostile market: Dumb Azzes build houses next to race tracks. Even dumber donkeys move in to houses without doing any research whatsoever. Once they move in and the weekend comes around, they find out there's a racetrack in their backyard.
faint.gif

At that point, tracks make concessions to the donkeys, but they're still not satisfied. So they go to the government and demand government shut down a historic venue that's been there for some 60 or more years. Race track either ends up shut down or protested against.

Now, RFK Stadium ALMS Circuit was different. Congress *****ed and whined about not being able to get their work done (because that's what we need, them having fewer distractions and more time to steal our money and give it to big greedy Wall Street execs:rolleyes:).

Thats how every market is. Every track i have been to here in illinois has had people living near by that just wanted to complain. A lot of them get mad when they get noise ordinances passed, but the race track gets grand fathered in lol.

Some tracks do a real good job of working with the community however.

I hope they can repave salem that track is cool, to bad its never on tv unless hooters pro cup is airing a race but i dont see them on tv at all this year.

Thats how every market is. Every track i have been to here in illinois has had people living near by that just wanted to complain. A lot of them get mad when they get noise ordinances passed, but the race track gets grand fathered in lol.

I hope they can repave salem that track is cool, to bad its never on tv unless hooters pro cup is airing a race but i dont see them on tv at all this year.
Pro Cup's not televised this year.

I'm actually going down to the USAR Virginia 250 this weekend. No TV.

Pro Cup's not televised this year.

I'm actually going down to the USAR Virginia 250 this weekend. No TV.

They have a TV deal with the Regional Fox Sports Networks. I have no idea when they will air though, maybe they will all be on in the winter.

They have a TV deal with the Regional Fox Sports Networks. I have no idea when they will air though, maybe they will all be on in the winter.
Ours is no longer FSN, it's Comcast. But I get other FOX Sports Net stations through DirecTV.

Only time I watch CSN is during hockey season, so I wouldn't know what else comes on (besides a bunch of pundits yappin' constantly about the Washington Deadskins like they're the best thing since stuffed ham:rolleyes:).

Although I did see the Kenly and Rockingham races last year on Versus. But Versus has a pretty solid motorsports lineup after hockey season ends.

I'd like to see ARCA give Comcast a try. Versus does a good job with it's dirt track racing coverage and it's USAR coverage.

Hmm. Out of the 7 tracks near me in Western NY and Southern Ontario, only one (a 1/3 mile dirt track) has whiny neighbors. They're forced to start at 6:00 PM on Saturdays, and have a 10:30 curfew. They have 5 classes, sometimes 6, and often do push 10:30. None of the other 6 tracks have ever had any problems, best I know of. Nor do they have curfews.

ARCA asked me what a good track in the DC area to run would be and I told them Hagerstown or VMS would be a good track for the series. They told me they won't run on a dirt track smaller than a mile, since it would create an unequal advantage for guys who come from dirt track backgrounds (Arpin, Sheltra, etc.).

I think Winchester would be better than Salem. As far as ORP being flat and not as exciting, I'll tell you it's one of my favorite tracks on the circuit. ORP produces some fantastic side-by-side racing. One of the best races of the year in Nationwide.

I'd better say something about Salem to remain on-topic. Looks like a dump to me, but I've only ever saw it on You Tube. :D

I knew of ARCA's existence for many years, but have only been closely following it for about 4 years since I went to Pocono. What other dirt tracks have they raced on besides DuQuoin, Springfield and the one in West Virginia? Syracuse has a nice 1 mile dirt oval at the State Fairgrounds that only gets used once a year.

I'd better say something about Salem to remain on-topic. Looks like a dump to me, but I've only ever saw it on You Tube. :D

I knew of ARCA's existence for many years, but have only been closely following it for about 4 years since I went to Pocono. What other dirt tracks have they raced on besides DuQuoin, Springfield and the one in West Virginia? Syracuse has a nice 1 mile dirt oval at the State Fairgrounds that only gets used once a year.

We have a bunch of harness tracks that are closing down.

One mile long -- maybe ARCA should race at Pimlico since they're about to lose the Preakness.

I'm here at Langley Speedway, which is under new ownership this year, for the USAR Pro Cup race. Let me tell you what, don't be surprised if you see this track pop up on the ARCA Re/Max Series schedule. They told me they've got meetings with ARCA and other racing divisions in the near future. It's a really nice track as well. Perfect size track for ARCA.

I'm here at Langley Speedway, which is under new ownership this year, for the USAR Pro Cup race. Let me tell you what, don't be surprised if you see this track pop up on the ARCA Re/Max Series schedule. They told me they've got meetings with ARCA and other racing divisions in the near future. It's a really nice track as well. Perfect size track for ARCA.

That would be good if ARCA went there, I have not checked it out but would like to. There are a lot of really nice tracks in VA, Arca really should go to one of those.

The surfaces at ORP and Winchester are great but the accomodations at Winchester are not good. The parking lot is always full when the CRA cars run there. I parked in a corn field to the west of the track last fall. ORP would be a great track for ARCA.

The surfaces at ORP and Winchester are great but the accomodations at Winchester are not good. The parking lot is always full when the CRA cars run there. I parked in a corn field to the west of the track last fall. ORP would be a great track for ARCA.

The parking at Winchester didn't seem that bad to me. I guess some of the spots are a little far from the speedway. When I was at Winchester one of the problems was some parts of the grandstands. They are wooden, which is fine, But where my reserved seats were one time the wood was all rotten. Seemed like if there was too much weight on it that it would break. Most of the stand seemed fine, just a few spots seemed to be rotten. Easily fixed anyway.

The track condition at Salem isn't very good, but I think overall the facility is nice. Nice buildings, the reserved section of the grandstands are metal. I think if they fix the track Salem Speedway would be a pretty impressive track.

The parking at Winchester didn't seem that bad to me. I guess some of the spots are a little far from the speedway. When I was at Winchester one of the problems was some parts of the grandstands. They are wooden, which is fine, But where my reserved seats were one time the wood was all rotten. Seemed like if there was too much weight on it that it would break. Most of the stand seemed fine, just a few spots seemed to be rotten. Easily fixed anyway.

The track condition at Salem isn't very good, but I think overall the facility is nice. Nice buildings, the reserved section of the grandstands are metal. I think if they fix the track Salem Speedway would be a pretty impressive track.

They have fixed the wooden bleachers at Winchester. Not much seating there and very limited advanced ticket sales. I have had to throw someone out of my seat almost every time I have been there. The parking is OK, just not enough of it. If it rains the day before the event there will be people stuck in the cornfield to the west of the track.

They could possibly work out a shuttle bus from town. The ARCA races I have been to draw a bigger crowd than the CRA events.

Rumor has it Smoke wants to buy the speedway and wants to buy the airport and turn it in to a drag strip.

Back
Top Bottom