Truex, about to clinch the regular season? Probably.

dpkimmel2001

Team Owner
Not only is this guy schooling everyone on the importance of winning these stages, he's about to clinch the regular season championship and pad his playoff point total even more.

I am going to take the word of others concerning Truex and the regular season and what it means for the reconstituted chase as I am apathetic about it. I try and enjoy each race as it stands and leave it at that as it works well for me. I am looking forward to Bristol, Darlington, Richmond (although it hasn't been great lately, IMO) and the highlight will be Martinsville. IDK how the later start times will impact my Nascar viewing with Footy starting soon.

At this point, I am happy that great consistency during the first 26 races does benefit towards a full season championship.

If Truex wins the the championship, it would be the first time in a long time that the dominant driver/team during the regular season actually ended up with the trophy at the end.

If Truex wins the the championship, it would be the first time in a long time that the dominant driver/team during the regular season actually ended up with the trophy at the end.

4 car 2014 I would say was priba my the dominate car that year

Certainly the first time since the playoff format was introduced.

It's funny that the two years that Harvick was the dominant driver over the entire season he didn't win the championship, and the one year he wasn't, he did.

Gordon had the better body of work over the entire season though. Harvick didn't really turn it on until the summer of that year. He had two early wins, but I don't think Harvick even cracked the Top 10 in points until June.

Yeah I don't remember and I didn't look it up so probably I just thought that was around the time the four car was dominating

Yeah I don't remember and I didn't look it up so probably I just thought that was around the time the four car was dominating
I'd say Harvick was as good or maybe a little better than Gordon in the 2nd half of 2014, but the 4 team had a lot of bad luck early on.

Certainly the first time since the playoff format was introduced.

It's funny that the two years that Harvick was the dominant driver over the entire season he didn't win the championship, and the one year he wasn't, he did.
And the same thing can happen to Truex. But FWIW he gets something for being the regular season winner..I hope it is better than a cucumber

And the same thing can happen to Truex. But FWIW he gets something for being the regular season winner..I hope it is better than a cucumber
Truex isn't a lock for sure, but at least regular season performance counts for something this year which will give him an easier path to Homestead, unlike the last three years where the most dominant driver went into the 4th race of the chase with the same amount of points as somebody who fell ass-backwards into the chase at the last minute.

I like the fact that Truex gets a lot of playoff points, but really his point advantage is gonna be what, 20-25 points over 2nd place when Chicago starts? Not really that much in the grand scheme of things. We'll have to see I guess.

78 needs to severely screw up in the chase errr playoffs to not make it to Homestead.

78 needs to severely screw up in the chase errr playoffs to not make it to Homestead.
All it takes is one penalty from NASCAR, IMO. The #78 is the fastest car of the weekend no matter the type of track or time of race. They are obviously doing something that nobody else is. Only a matter of time before Pearn pushes too far & everyone else figures out the secret.

4 car 2014 I would say was priba my the dominate car that year
#24 team in 2014 had it locked up. The Chase system can go to hell.

Crazy to think how Truex would be ahead in the Winston Cup points system, I havent seen dominance like this in a long while. I dont think hes going to win the Championship though once the pressure of the playoffs start, I think the 4 and 48 are just lurking while I dont know what to think about the 42. I get a 1995 Jeff Gordon vibe from them where they are breaking though and might hang on to win the Cup. Either way 4, 48, 78, and 42 battling for the championship is going to be awesome.

All it takes is one penalty from NASCAR, IMO. The #78 is the fastest car of the weekend no matter the type of track or time of race. They are obviously doing something that nobody else is. Only a matter of time before Pearn pushes too far & everyone else figures out the secret.

#24 team in 2014 had it locked up. The Chase system can go to hell.
Gosh I hate the Chase so much because of that.

2004, 2007 & 2014
I have to say though, since I have no emotional investment now that my guy has been retired for the last 2 years I have found the Playoffs to be a bit more enjoyable and am actually looking forward to it this year. Still hate it, but its enjoyable to see the carnage and randomness unfold.

obamadewey.jpg

Crazy to think how Truex would be ahead in the Winston Cup points system, I havent seen dominance like this in a long while. I dont think hes going to win the Championship though once the pressure of the playoffs start, I think the 4 and 48 are just lurking while I dont know what to think about the 42. I get a 1995 Jeff Gordon vibe from them where they are breaking though and might hang on to win the Cup. Either way 4, 48, 78, and 42 battling for the championship is going to be awesome.

That is the hard part. Johnson winning last year was it really sandbagging until the playoffs? Or a streak of good luck when it mattered? Neither of those two are talking :D

Martin should probably win it all but we all know a slight bobble at Homestead can end it all.

I like the fact that Truex gets a lot of playoff points, but really his point advantage is gonna be what, 20-25 points over 2nd place when Chicago starts? Not really that much in the grand scheme of things. We'll have to see I guess.
It means he will have almost a complete race lead in points so what happened to many during the playoffs will not happen to him. Those points stay with him at each stage right up to Homestead.

It means he will have almost a complete race lead in points so what happened to many during the playoffs will not happen to him. Those points stay with him at each stage right up to Homestead.

I am too lazy to do the math with the regular season bonus points but he obviously has a free pass to the Round of 8 or so unless something really drastic happens. I am interested to see what will happen once the Chase starts to see if anybody is "sandbagging" or testing things out (IE: People claiming the 48 team is testing or trying things then they kick it up a notch once the Chase starts).

Crazy to think how Truex would be ahead in the Winston Cup points system, I havent seen dominance like this in a long while.

There is no doubt that the #78 has been the dominant car of the season in terms of speed and performance. However, the majority of Truex's current 129 point lead on Larson is due to his lead in stage points (76), which believe it or not did not exist back in the Winston days, and the 35 point penalty assessed to Larson in July. The Latford system was always too flat and did not reward dominance nearly enough. Larson would still be well within striking distance under the old system, and actually so would Harvick and Kyle Busch.

There is no doubt that the #78 has been the dominant car of the season in terms of speed and performance. However, the majority of Truex's current 129 point lead on Larson is due to his lead in stage points (76), which believe it or not did not exist back in the Winston days, and the 35 point penalty assessed to Larson in July. The Latford system was always too flat and did not reward dominance nearly enough. Larson would still be well within striking distance under the old system, and actually so would Harvick and Kyle Busch.
Yes, this. The stage points can certainly be criticized for being a Rube Goldberg device, but I support the end result of rewarding the best performers... the winners and those who consistently contend for wins.

I just found the answer to something that had me puzzled. And from some of the posts I've seen I wasn't the only one confused.

Will bonus points still carry over to Miami?

No. Miami is the exception. All four drivers competing for the championship will start with the same amount of points. There will be no bonus points for this race for those final four drivers. First to the line wins the title.

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-me...-questions-2017-race-format-enhancements.html

I think this is supposed to be where we say they wouldn't race the same. At least that's what I was always told

I just found the answer to something that had me puzzled. And from some of the posts I've seen I wasn't the only one confused.

No. Miami is the exception. All four drivers competing for the championship will start with the same amount of points. There will be no bonus points for this race for those final four drivers. First to the line wins the title.

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-me...-questions-2017-race-format-enhancements.html
I've mentioned this several times on here. Those points will do everything to help Truex get to Homestead but after that the made for television championship kicks in for that guaranteed game #7 moment.

What I am wondering is do playoff points carry over TO Homestead, not through.

As in, the drivers with the most playoff points after phoenix make homestead? Is there a win and your in still for the round of 8 into Homestead for everyone?

So if BK wins another race, isnt eliminated going into Texas, he gets into Homestead no matter what, if he has a top 4 gathering of playoff points?

Back
Top Bottom