Tulsa Shoot out/Chili Bown Nationals 2018

I am at the gatway dirt nationals. Its not the Chili Bowl, but definitely the next best thing! SO COOL seeing super late models in the big nfl stadium. Would be cool to see them have a decent indoor race out east, big block mods in NY or 410 sprints in PA. Probably never gonna happen, but i can dream!
I need to make it to the chili bowl one of these years...

Attachments

• IMG_5160.PNG
    IMG_5160.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 406
I am at the gatway dirt nationals. Its not the Chili Bowl, but definitely the next best thing! SO COOL seeing super late models in the big nfl stadium. Would be cool to see them have a decent indoor race out east, big block mods in NY or 410 sprints in PA. Probably never gonna happen, but i can dream!
I figure if you can hold Monster Jam in the Wells Fargo Center in Philly you could just as easily run some 410s in there.

I figure if you can hold Monster Jam in the Wells Fargo Center in Philly you could just as easily run some 410s in there.

Doubt it. Have to remember 410s have nearly the same amount of HP as NASCARs do if not more. For an example they’re running around 400 HP at the Chili Bowl, 900 HP at the Eldora Kings Royal

Just to show you their raw speed, the fastest qualifier time at Eldora is 12.7 secs in a half mile or around 150 mph average. I believe Hamlin did a 14.5 at Bristol which is incredible considering the weight a stock car has, but the pure speed of a 410 means business

Last edited:

It seemed like they were having to figure out a lot of logistical issues last year. It's a tough event to pull off. How was the program last night?

Doubt it. Have to remember 410s have nearly the same amount of HP as NASCARs do if not more. For an example they’re running around 400 HP at the Chili Bowl, 900 HP at the Eldora Kings Royal

Just to show you their raw speed, the fastest qualifier time at Eldora is 12.7 secs in a half mile or around 150 mph average. I believe Hamlin did a 14.5 at Bristol which is incredible considering the weight a stock car has, but the pure speed of a 410 means business

They actually tested midgets, 410 winged sprints and 410 non wing at The St Louis dome on wednesday. There is video online.

It seemed like they were having to figure out a lot of logistical issues last year. It's a tough event to pull off. How was the program last night?

Other than the fact that the modifieds couldnt get a lap in without a yellow, it went smoothly. The 20 lap SLM race of champions was good, but it sure went by wayyyy too fast.

I see Kyle Larson is entered and our own Michael Pickens from NZ.
Tony Stewart just ran his last Sprint Car race here tonight in NZ and Kyle Larson will be down here at my local dirt track Dec 26th for a four night race schedule before heading back to the US for the Chili Bowl.

Tony Stewart just ran his last Sprint Car race here tonight in NZ and Kyle Larson will be down here at my local dirt track Dec 26th for a four night race schedule before heading back to the US for the Chili Bowl.

I saw Pickens win a USAC midget race this year, good driver!
What kind of sprints are ran in NZ? Are they 410s like Australia has?

yep saw that too. Pickens hung in there last year, had some bad luck. I bet he learned a thing or two for this year.

yep saw that too. Pickens hung in there last year, had some bad luck. I bet he learned a thing or two for this year.
Last night at the track after my photobomb with Tony I was walking through the pits before heading to our seats and walked past Michael Pickens Sprint car and took a pic...Just then Michael walked out to his car right by me....I said Michael....and walked straight up to me and shook my hand. I wished him good luck and I was on my way. Awesome experience after Tony. Lol
sarcastic.gif

Last night at the track after my photobomb with Tony I was walking through the pits before heading to our seats and walked past Michael Pickens Sprint car and took a pic...Just then Michael walked out to his car right by me....I said Michael....and walked straight up to me and shook my hand. I wished him good luck and I was on my way. Awesome experience after Tony. Lol
sarcastic.gif
Pickens will be running the 39 car for Kevin Swindell.

Christopher Bell Adds One More 2017 Win With The Tulsa Shootout

Starting sixth, Christopher Bell won his first Tulsa Shootout Golden Driller at River City Expo Center in Tulsa OK New Year’s Eve in the Winged Outlaw division of the program.

Bell had an incredible 2017, winning in virtually every discipline he raced and it is fitting that he took the final checkered flag of the year. And while his eye is set on next week’s ultimate goal of winning the Chili Bowl for the second consecutive year, the laps he turned in the Shootout are a valuable addition to his mental notebook.

Gridded on the outside of row three, Bell used the high line in the early laps, but watched as Tyler Walton and Mile Paulus exchanged sliders battling for the lead through the first half of the race. He got a chance to put that knowledge to work when a caution waved on lap 25.

Bell pounced on the restart. With 20 laps remaining, he slid passed Paulus and led for the remainder of the race.

https://www.floracing.com/articles/...dds-one-more-2017-win-with-the-tulsa-shootout

I wasn't payingg attention that Thoreson wasn't racing for Kuntz this year.

Back
Top Bottom