TV Coverage 2018 thread

I think I prefer the side bar. They could seldom show the whole field with the other.

Im not crazy about M Waltrip but I can mute him but the other Fox people are like superstars compared to those babbling idiots at NBC. The side thing is worthless to me as all I need is a scroll across the top showing seconds and laps behind. At this point I don't even care about that really.

Sorry, I don't like the vertical ticker on the left side. I think it takes up way too much screen space, especially for a horizontally oriented sport like auto racing. There were multiple shots, esp. going through corners, when the cars to the outside of the turn were blocked by the graphic. This is a sport where stuff happens to those outside cars, and we're going to wind up missing a lot of it. Of course, they'll have it on replay...

Sorry, I don't like the vertical ticker on the left side. I think it takes up way too much screen space, especially for a horizontally oriented sport like auto racing. There were multiple shots, esp. going through corners, when the cars to the outside of the turn were blocked by the graphic. This is a sport where stuff happens to those outside cars, and we're going to wind up missing a lot of it. Of course, they'll have it on replay...
Now you have me wondering what the vertical oriented sports are..... :idunno:

It may be transparent and they got rid of the black BG, but its still an obtrusive block to the cars on the left of the screen.

You know where theres a spot that wont block vision of the racing?

Right up top.

Agree it is too prominent in the picture. I have a 65” widescreen, which is now more like a 53” standard TV with that massive side bar. If someone out there is still using a plasma TV, be sure to change the channel about every 10 minutes to avoid burn in.

They could make it more narrow if they didn’t have to have such a huge space for the advertiser at the top. I like the ability to see more car positions than the top crawler, but please reduce the width!

I've had my computer with a separate leaderboard on for years with that P.O.S. crawler at the top

I like the panel on the left because it shows a lot more important info. Been asking for that for many years.

I'm pretty happy with Fox overall, with the exceptions being Michael Waltrip... a huge embarrassment to Nascar... and Adam Alexander. Fox is much better than NBC in my opinion.

I thought it was interesting that in the left side bar instead of showing how far behind the stage winners were they showed S1 and S2. Cause you know, you don't care anymore how far behind they are after winning a stage. Not a big deal last night, but at Watkins Glen it could be.

I thought Fox did a fine job with the Xfinity. I don't know if they had less cameras on the truck race or were asleep at the switch, they had some vague at best shots of some of the action.

I thought Fox did a fine job with the Xfinity. I don't know if they had less cameras on the truck race or were asleep at the switch, they had some vague at best shots of some of the action.
It looks like they did a better job during the Xfinity race of adjusting the camera feeds to compensate for the left side panel. It's like the early attempts had the shots centered in the middle of my screen, but yesterday it's as if the video was centered in the visible window. Maybe they also pulled back a little, something I've been wanting them to do for years.

Regardless, I didn't find the panel to be as obstructive as it was during the Shootout or Duels.

I thought it was interesting that in the left side bar instead of showing how far behind the stage winners were they showed S1 and S2. Cause you know, you don't care anymore how far behind they are after winning a stage. Not a big deal last night, but at Watkins Glen it could be.
I wondered about that, but overlooked it since I could see the intervals for the cars in front and behind the stage winners. I don't think it's any worse than using '-1' to indicate all cars a lap down instead of showing the intervals between them. After all, those guys are gaining on or falling back from each other too.

I'd rather Fox find some other way to indicate the stage winners (maybe a different colored font), but I can live with it.

Im not crazy about M Waltrip but I can mute him but the other Fox people are like superstars compared to those babbling idiots at NBC. The side thing is worthless to me as all I need is a scroll across the top showing seconds and laps behind. At this point I don't even care about that really.
Couldn't agree more lets hear the race cars instead of constant yapping.

The best shot in racing is that low level side view as the cars go flying past in the banking

The best shot in racing is that low level side view as the cars go flying past in the banking
'Best' is relative. That's a decent action shot, but it doesn't show the field or who've moving up or back. I prefer overhead shots so I can see what's going on.

Dam left column ticker...unlike a scroll you never know when it will show positions past 20...got to keep looking at it.

Kurt bush gonna take four and fuel (41 completely misses pit box and doesn't pit) he needs just a little adjustment blah blah blah keep talking because I'm not even attempting to be an accurate reporter and probably just reading a script while taking a dump. Shows how little these networks actually care about broadcasting anything but commercials

Dam left column ticker...unlike a scroll you never know when it will show positions past 20...got to keep looking at it.

You can see where everyone's running after about 20 seconds. Unlike the old ticker when you had to wait sometimes several minutes to see where your favorite driver was running. This is a huge improvement over the ticker.

You can see where everyone's running after about 20 seconds. Unlike the old ticker when you had to wait sometimes several minutes to see where your favorite driver was running. This is a huge improvement over the ticker.
Nope...never know when it's gonna scroll.

Nope...never know when it's gonna scroll.

Huh, it's been "scrolling" the entire race, except for replays. I'm watching the race so I'm not paying attention to when the sidebar does what, but I don't have to keep paying attention to it to see where someone's running and waiting minutes and minutes and minutes for it to scroll.

The ticker was awful and it's about time it died.

There were times last year, watching NBC, I waited 10+ minutes just to see the top-3.

Huh, it's been "scrolling" the entire race, except for replays. I'm watching the race so I'm not paying attention to when the sidebar does what, but I don't have to keep paying attention to it to see where someone's running and waiting minutes and minutes and minutes for it to scroll.

The ticker was awful and it's about time it died.

There were times last year, watching NBC, I waited 10+ minutes just to see the top-3.
Like you said you are not paying attention. Occasionally I like to know where someone outside the top 20 are running...it does not constantly scroll. It tells us who the pit reporters are, it tells you the speed of certain cars...it tells you what brand of underwear the lead driver is wearing...

Like you said you are not paying attention. Occasionally I like to know where someone outside the top 20 are running...it does not constantly scroll. It tells us who the pit reporters are, it tells you the speed of certain cars...it tells you what brand of underwear the lead driver is wearing...

And last year, NBC's ticker told me: "MONSTER ENERGY SERIES AT KENTUCKY" for 10 minutes at a time.

You can easily use an app or check any website to see live positions. This side panel **** is terrible.

They fooled me...went side by side with Toyota commercial and showed the front end of Hamlin's Toyota the whole time.

The massive side panel absolutely sucks. There was no reason to fix something that wasn't broken.

Yes, and the amount of ads, and all the different split screens need to go. Did you see them flip to a short word from Duracell right before they started the restart for the finish? How much money does Fox need to generate during a race?

Back
Top Bottom