Two Talladega ?s -

19USMC69

Team Owner
1. What gear ratios are used?
2. What’s the distance around the track on the outside lane as compared to the inside.

2. What’s the distance around the track on the outside lane as compared to the inside.

Apparently, track length is measured 15 feet from the wall.
Listed track length is 2.66 miles.
Need to figure out track radius in terms of a circle.
C=2piR
2.66 miles = 2piR, solve for radius
R=.4261 miles, or 2235 feet

Talladega track width is 48 feet. To account for the 15 feet from the wall in the standard measurement, add 15 feet to radius, and subtract the difference of 33 feet for the bottom lane.

Top Lane = 2pi(2250feet) = 2.677 miles
Bottom Lane = 2pi(2202feet) = 2.620 miles

This should be relatively accurate assuming the track width is constant.

Last edited:
Apparently, track length is measured 15 feet from the wall.
Listed track length is 2.66 miles.
Need to figure out track radius in terms of a circle.
C=2piR
2.66 miles = 2piR, solve for radius
R=.4261 miles, or 2235 feet

Talladega track width is 48 feet. To account for the 15 feet from the wall in the standard measurement, add 15 feet to radius, and subtract the difference of 33 feet for the bottom lane.

Top Lane = 2pi(2250feet) = 2.677 miles
Bottom Lane = 2pi(2202feet) = 2.620 miles

This should be relatively accurate assuming the track width is constant.
Awesome.

How many cubic yards of airport-grade asphalt would I need to do a repave?

Three 2" lifts, of course.

Disclaimer: the above is pretty hokey and should not be used for official NASCAR repave calculations.

You never know with these guys...
Yeah, your calculation is also based on the (incorrect) assumption that the track is a circle. We've discussed this before, and the radius of the turns can be found in Wikipedia... 1,100 feet IIRC. Changes the answer quite a bit.

Yeah, your calculation is also based on the (incorrect) assumption that the track is a circle. We've discussed this before, and the radius of the turns can be found in Wikipedia... 1,100 feet IIRC. Changes the answer quite a bit.

Your calculation is based on the the incorrect assumption that the track is a Paperclip, no? Reality I would guess is between our two results since it's a tri-oval. Like I said definitely hokey lol. You're probably closer than me.

The only path to resolution I see is to get Larry Mac out there with a poncho and measuring stick.

Your calculation is based on the the incorrect assumption that the track is a Paperclip, no?
No. My only assumption is that the published radius applies to all three turns. The tri-oval may not have 1,100 foot radius, but that turn has much shorter arc length than the other two, so the error would be relatively minor. I'm sure you'd agree that the three turns total 360 degrees?

10-4 on getting Larry Mac out there. Right in his wheelhouse.

It's interesting to see that both threads were started by the same forum member..:idunno:

No. My only assumption is that the published radius applies to all three turns. The tri-oval may not have 1,100 foot radius, but that turn has much shorter arc length than the other two, so the error would be relatively minor. I'm sure you'd agree that the three turns total 360 degrees?

10-4 on getting Larry Mac out there. Right in his wheelhouse.

It's interesting to see that both threads were started by the same forum member..:idunno:
Maybe he will ask again next year and somebody brighter than myself will reply :D

Back
Top Bottom