Two teams fold in F1

Both teams are in really bad shape, but neither team has officially folded yet. Caterham was skipping Austin already, so Marussia doesn't have any worries about losing their place in the standings to them. Financially it makes sense for them to go ahead and skip as well. I feel bad for Marussia; they had done really well this season considering what they had to work with, and now here they are with their best driver critically injured and the team itself on the verge of total collapse.

There are people trying to buy Marussia to keep them running: http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/9537205/Brit-duo-close-to-Marussia-buy-out

Marussia and Caterham were promised budget caps. This is what happens when you get teams to join on false premises.

At least Marussia still stands to make $20 million or so from the WCC if they hold on to their position for the rest of the season.

It could be a wake up call for F1. I've wondered how the teams can sustain such large budgets. They have one sponsor on two cars, I can't imagine the sponsor pays the whole tab.

Back
Top Bottom