Ty Gibbs

hmmm298

Drunk Fan
So I have been thinking and while a lot of drivers come and get by on their family name/connections etc, what do you guys think of Ty Gibbs.

I had never seen much of him until basically after cover in Area etc. He has won in everything he has been in. I've always wondered however, how much his equipment plays a part etc, given that he was racing in what is essentially the "minor leagues" (Arca etc) but using Gibbs equipment.

I have never really believed too much in drivers who have gone their whole career with the best equipment etc, and quite often we have seen them fail in Cup. to this point even if they don't necessarily fail, for example Austin Dillon who has been solid but not overwhelming in Cup and Dale Jr who won everything when moving up the ranks and had obvious HUGE expectations but who I was and will always be a major fan of and who will ALWAYS be my driver (I'm not saying Ty has these expectations both either, both because Joe is an owner rather than a driver who could pass down driver knowledge/talent and because it's his grandpa rather than his father - but they do say that greatness skips a generation).

Again to my point the ARCA wins didn't necessarily impress me given the equipment etc Then he comes in and wins his Xfinity debut. Again this is with JGR equipment and it's been known that the JGR Xfinity series cars are so good that talent can't truly be measured by how they perform in those cars, unless of course they totally suck.

This win could have been considered a fluke etc. It again may/could have been devalued. Fans may say but even if this is his first race, its still the minor leagues, and he's still a spoiled kid with the best equipment. "Anyone could win in Xfinity for JGR, and it was just one win". But he keeps winning. Even when he hasn't won, he has competed. This is at a very young age and without even running full time.

But in his limited starts this year, he has really shown me something. Yes he has JGR equipment etc, but what about Harrison Burton, for example. They both come from racing families Why is the much more inexperienced and younger guy Ty Gibbs winning multiple races (and competing in EVERY race he enters) when he isn't even running full time. He seems calm when being challenged and has to actually race someone, but he is also very aggressive. He regardless seems to always take care of the car. Again awesome especially for his age.

I have been around a long time. Even just for example when Truex was a rookie I can remember telling my dad that "one day I bet he will be even better the Dale Jr, based off the potential I saw". And I don't mean that to bragg but rather just as an example to say I've been around and watching for a long time. Ty not only winning those races but has beat some of the best drivers and shown so much poise in the most pressure packed situations.

Being born in a racing family like he has definitely can have its advantages, but sometimes those can really pay off in ways we don't expect as well, such as experience from a young age and potential/genes, and I believe Ty Gibbs Is the real deal.

I just thought I would make this thread as kind of (but not really) an "appreciation thread". I would just like to discuss what you guys think of him and even if you don't like him, you thoughts on his potential or even if you think he could be a bust. In my opinion he has shown amazing potential and honestly just so much poise for his age. Aggressive but takes care of the car. While I do believe he would benefit from and needs a couple of full time seasons in Xfinity, do you guys think he could be the next generational talent who comes from a racing family and lead JGR into the future? Discuss.

PS while he did win this weekend in an awesome fashion with retaking the lead on the last restart today etc, this is something that has been on my mind for a while, not just today/yesterday.

Last edited:
I can agree with most of what you said. I don't know the boy nor anything about his regular life. I don't know if he got his ride because of his family OR because he showed he could do it. Therefore I will drop the "spoiled" part.
The Xfinity car he drives is the one set up for Kyle Bush so there is that advantage. Having said that, what I see is the real deal and he doesn't have to worry about his car owner or sponsors:sarcasm:

The jury is still out on Ty Gibbs because we haven’t seen that much of him. But, what we have seen so far is very impressive. There are many drivers that would get in a car like that and screw it up, he doesn’t. He finishes where he should in the equipment he is driving. There are always gonna be haters no matter what you do.

Count me as somebody who thought it was a fluke at first and him just winning ARCA because of the equipment, but he definitely looks like the real deal now. Hard to deny his talent now with what he's done in Xfinity. He's beaten teammates he should have had no business beating.

He's a talent. What he's done so far is remarkable for his level of experience. He will win many Cup races in his future

He’s running arca with a bottomless budget vs blue collar guys

He’s running xfinity against some well funded rides but we have seen JGR dominate xfinity for the last decade with funding from TRD

He has a habit of dumping guys and a reputation for it

He will be among the likes of Erik Jones in cup IMO. I’m not a fan and never will be a fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The jury is still out on Ty Gibbs because we haven’t seen that much of him. But, what we have seen so far is very impressive. There are many drivers that would get in a car like that and screw it up, he doesn’t. He finishes where he should in the equipment he is driving. There are always gonna be haters no matter what you do.
Welcome to the board!

He’s running xfinity against some well funded rides but we have seen JGR dominate xfinity for the last decade with funding from TRD
TRD is funding JGR's Xfinity program? Source please.

Ty Gibbs is one helluva shoe!!! Squirt urine all you want about his family ties and supposed superior advantages, but, the fact remains, he is good!!
I don't see him faltering when he gets to Cup racing and after watching him, were he to get in something not as good as JGR equipment, his talent and demeanor is such he would adjust and still make a formidable challenge for the win. Ty Gibbs is the real deal.

Wasn't that impressed with him in Late Models, but at his age, regardless of what he's racing, what he's doing in Xfinity is nothing short of remarkable.

With that said, Ty Gibbs looks like the next superstar, but we've seen a lot of extremely talented drivers struggle at JGR in Cup.

Ty has been great, but that doesn't mean a damn thing in Cup. Enjoying what I am seeing, but not headed to Victory Lane before he gets there...

I don't have much of an impression about Ty Gibbs yet, since I haven't seen much of him. But I admit that I am more impressed by drivers who run up front in lessor equipment than I am of drivers with equipment that comes from a top-shelf organization that has much more resources than most of the competition. No doubt it takes talent and skill to do well in almost all racing series, but at the lower levels the resources behind a driver can count more than the driver.

It's too soon (for me) to really evaluate young Mr. Gibbs. Time will tell - he will likely have his trials along the way, and will face competitors with resources backing them that equal or exceed his - that's when we'll see what he's really made of. Good luck to him - racing and winning over fans can be a tough business.

Guys he’s 18. Dude is doing amazing things at 18, I don’t care how good of a car he’s in

Pretty much my point also, just so much potential to be doing it at his age. Not necessarily saying he will reach that potential but we will see.

Ty has been great, but that doesn't mean a damn thing in Cup. Enjoying what I am seeing, but not headed to Victory Lane before he gets there...
I agree.
All evidence indicates he will be great in Cup but you never know until it happens.
He is a good bet maybe the best future one going, but still no guarantee.

I'm high as a kite on this kid.

I think he's the next great thing.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Wasn't that impressed with him in Late Models, but at his age, regardless of what he's racing, what he's doing in Xfinity is nothing short of remarkable.

With that said, Ty Gibbs looks like the next superstar, but we've seen a lot of extremely talented drivers struggle at JGR in Cup.

That’s the ticket right there. What made Larson a phenom was his incredible dirt success at a very young age. That’s when Tony Stewart and Jeff Gordon realized he was the next big thing. Just needed a little adversity and a better ride to take that next step. Now he’s the favorite to win the title and probably will wind up winning 8-10 races this season at 28

He's actually 18? The kid looks like a 5th grader.

He drives the best car in ARCA by a country mile, yet still thinks it's necessary to bump people out of his way instead of passing them clean. He throws a ridiculous block, then blames the other guy for running into the back of him. Ironically, he's probably the only person to ever call AJ Allmendinger a "dirty" driver.

I don't care if he's young and talented. I think he's an entitled twat and needs to learn some respect and humility. Most kids would grow out of that, but it won't be easy under the JGR umbrella, especially being family.

He’s on the entry list for Indianapolis.

I’d like to see him get the W ...

Not against Cindric, Allmendinger
what in the heck are you talking about? Ty Gibbs has never raced on the Indy road course, but Cendric, Allmendinger, and Allgaier have. Does that make it plain enough? That is what I meant.

what in the heck are you talking about? Ty Gibbs has never raced on the Indy road course, but Cendric, Allmendinger, and Allgaier have. Does that make it plain enough? That is what I meant.
I was talking about the experience in general, not just the track. Is that plain enough for you?

I wonder if the TRD simulator has the road course in its database? :cool:

As a Hemric fan, I dislike him.

Kidding, he's a talent and has been fun to watch his development so far. He dedicates himself to his craft and it shows. He's 18 years old, he's still a kid who focuses on racing and even goes to GoPro often to practice. Spends hours on iRacing and simulator and the results speak for themselves.

The key is Ty has everything in his corner going for him, all he has to do is perform. He's doing just that, this is not a knock agsinst Harrison, Daniel, or Brandon Jones.

Ty just seems to have that bit extra at times.

Back
Top Bottom