U.S. Grand Prix

Formula One racing will adopt a revised qualifying format for this weekend’s 2014 Formula 1 United States Grand Prix following the withdrawal of Caterham and Marussia from the event.

Now, instead of the slowest six cars being eliminated from Q1 with six more following in Q2, the stewards have decided that the slowest four cars will exit in Q1, followed by another four in Q2. The top ten Q3 shootout will remain the same.

Caterham and Marussia are both missing the race in Austin as they seek solutions to their current financial issues.

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2014/10/16537.html

McLaren @McLarenF1
Jenson has just confirmed that he'll get a five-place grid penalty for an unscheduled gearbox change for this weekend's #USGP.

Vettel will start from the pit lane as he's using an entirely new 6th power unit.

2015 nose Lotus will be trying out in practice:

ABTp85c.jpg

It looks like I'll be channel surfing between NASCAR and F1 Sunday.

A colleague went to the first race and he said the views are great, you can see more than one corner from the stands throughout the place.

... Vettel will start from the pit lane as he's using an entirely new 6th power unit.

Does anyone know if that is a one time penalty or does it get imposed for all future 2014 events, or every time he starts with that sixth engine.

Does anyone know if that is a one time penalty or does it get imposed for all future 2014 events, or every time he starts with that sixth engine.
One-time penalty, as long as they don't use a seventh of any particular component. They originally were going to take a ten-place grip drop for a sixth ICE and then decided to replace the whole power unit.

Will be interesting to see attendance figures between the cup and F1 race

Although it's obviously a world class facility, COTA just seem kind of antiseptic, lacking character. Kind of like the NASCAR 1.5 milers, these new F1 tracks are just lacking in...something.
I think a lot of it is that they just look so much alike. New tracks lack the character of having a unique environment around them. Old tracks like Spa have character that new tracks lack. Then there's the mother of all tracks, the Nurburgring. You have trees, hills, etc., where everything that is built now looks like giant parking lots with lines painted on them.

I think a lot of it is that they just look so much alike. New tracks lack the character of having a unique environment around them. Old tracks like Spa have character that new tracks lack. Then there's the mother of all tracks, the Nurburgring. You have trees, hills, etc., where everything that is built now looks like giant parking lots with lines painted on them.
I figure it's a safety thing, fewer things to crash into. As cars get quicker old tracks become obsolete. I think there is a limit as to how fast a race car can go safely with a driver, at over 200 the car moves quite a distance before a driver decision is put to the road.

Safety reasons or not, no one can argue that new tracks have even half as much character as the old ones. And I don't believe runoff areas could have saved Senna; wheel tethers, HANS, the modern helmet, and the newer cars I believe possibly could have.

Safety reasons or not, no one can argue that new tracks have even half as much character as the old ones. And I don't believe runoff areas could have saved Senna; wheel tethers, HANS, the modern helmet, and the newer cars I believe possibly could have.
They ran at Imola for quite a while afterwards too.

I figure it's a safety thing, fewer things to crash into. As cars get quicker old tracks become obsolete. I think there is a limit as to how fast a race car can go safely with a driver, at over 200 the car moves quite a distance before a driver decision is put to the road.

I say this with minimal road course spectating experience but, another big component I think is the "viewability" for the spectators. Flat tracks with straightaways and tight turns like a Supercross track, tight esses and maybe an odd turn here or there(one per Tilke racetrack lol), and strategically placed grandstands so anyone can see multiple corners.. What it gives to the spectators it takes away from aesthetics.

That said, I do love COTA's esses and the big uphill climb on the frontstretch.

Back
Top Bottom