Underperforming & Heroic Drivers

Truex_rox

Wannabe racecar driver.
Since @jaqua19 made a pretty fun and insightful thread about the five drivers who psyche themselves out the most, I wanted to give this a shot and see what you guys have to say on this matter - we're about a quarter of the way through the 2018 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series season, so who, at this point, is putting on some brilliant displays in their underfunded rides, and who among the top teams has been rather anonymous thus far?

I'll go first.

Heroic Drivers

1. Aric Almirola - Quashing any rumors that the 10 was significantly underpowered compared to the other SHR teams, Double-A has been consistently stringing together some nice, if quietly-impressive races so far. He has even been the top SHR driver in some races, including the most recent race at Bristol. He is getting on pretty well at SHR.
  2. Darrell Wallace, Jr. - Finishing 2nd at the Daytona 500 was an amazing experience for Bubba and RPM. However, a few more races in, and some people were screaming "BUST! BUST!" at the top of their lungs. After a more races, Bubba is getting a reputation for driving beyond his equipment's capabilities following a strong top-ten at Texas, and another slick run at Bristol.
  3. Ryan Blaney - Yes, I am bearing in mind that Team Penske is the team he is driving for. Nonetheless, the #12 team has been nothing short of stout, considering it is an upstart organization. Those do not always start off as well as these guys have. I really, really like what I am seeing out of him so far. Is he this generation's Matt Kenseth to Chase Elliott, this generation's Dale Jr.?

Underperforming Drivers

1. Daniel Suarez - There is plenty of the season left, and he hurt his thumb at Texas, but Suarez has given the impression that he is going through quite the sophomore slump so far. He has not been thriving very much lately, which has been disappointing, as some people (including myself) saw him as a dark horse for this season. Not writing him off yet, though!
  2. Chase Elliott - It's not just him, his team has also been quite a let-down. They've made some questionable calls, made some pretty bad decisions, and he is currently looking like he is going to have to go through a 2017 Joey Logano season. Hopefully not. HOPEFULLY NOT. This team should be able to move on, especially since they have yet to extract maximum performance from the Camaro.
  3. Jamie McMurray - While his team-mate, Kyle Larson, has been the top Chevy driver for most of 2018's races so far, McMurray's record has been far less stellar. While it does not help that most, if any of the Camaro teams have yet to find their footing, he has had quite a few bad races so far, and has hardly been in the mix. He finally came out with a stout 3rd place showing at Texas, but that has been his sole highlight of the season so far. Following a pretty nice campaign last season that saw him make the playoffs on points, the chances of that happening this year are not looking too bright for McMurray.
*Kurt Busch - I am a little on the fence in regards to Kurt Busch. He has shown more outright pace this year than he did throughout the vast majority of last year, yet the results have scarcely come his way. He's also picked up some stage wins, another feat that he did not accomplish last year. Still, a distinct lack of results compared to the other old hands at SHR makes it seem like something is amiss. Maybe it is bad luck. He was looking set to win back-to-back Daytona 500's before being wrecked with 2 to go. Las Vegas was another race that he was running well in, only to kinda take himself out with Chase Elliott later on in the going. Just not sure on this one.​

Kurt -guess i gotta carry the f***ckin car on my back again...what else is new- Busch

I've been surprised by Bubba and (to a lesser extent) Almirola. I expected Almirola to out perform Danica but he's done better than I thought from the get go.

Stenhouse has also been performing beyond my expectations but I wouldn't go as far as to say heroic. Same with Menard.

Byron, Chase, Bayne, and McMurray underperforming.

None of the drivers today seem in the least bit heroic to me which is not to say I see them in a bad light. I do think guys like James Hylton, JD McDuffie, Jimmy Means, Dick Brooks, Cecil Gordon and Buddy Arrington were drivers that made me appreciate the dedication it takes to suit up and race each week.

Of the 8 races so far, Kyle Busch and Kevin Harvick have 5 of the wins and 4 of the runners-up, plus a third. At least one of them has finished top 3 in every race this season except Daytona, which we all know is a cluster that has no bearing on the rest of the season. Sure, two of the best teams on the grid, but they're killing everyone else.

AA ?is about where he should be with that equipment. He may be hampered a bit by his CC.
DW jr.? Not surprised at his ability but I am surprised they have been able to give him equipment
that lets him showcase his talent.
Ryan,? what can we say, he was the better Penske car while at WB and is keeping his place. I think he and his CC are working better together.
Daniel? no surprise, I think #11 and #18 are still having their way as usual. #20 driver needs to learn more.
Chase? May not be having what he needs from his CC, they seem to be off a little. Can't be the car because Bowman is doing OK. He will be winning when HMS gets their act together. A good sign is the #48 is starting to come around. The whole place needs a bit of an ego adjustment.
Jamie? Doing what he always has. Up and down, seems like his CC brings the same car to every track so it works sometimes but not everywhere.
Kurt? Got a 1yr extension and will be gone after this season. He may retire or find a team who
wants him more than Stewart and buddies.

None of the drivers today seem in the least bit heroic to me which is not to say I see them in a bad light. I do think guys like James Hylton, JD McDuffie, Jimmy Means, Dick Brooks, Cecil Gordon and Buddy Arrington were drivers that made me appreciate the dedication it takes to suit up and race each week.
Lifestyle mojo for the journeymen runners of the Early Nascar Era... you are no alone in that.

I can respect that opinion, as I see what you mean. My usage of heroic was more like describing what some of the people have been able to go and do out on track with minimal equipment or minimal expectations. ;)

I see nothing about almirola to get excited about. If he simply said put the 4 cars setup in my car he should be running in the top 3. the 4 car has been at times 3/4 of a second faster than the rest of the field. Bubba was frankly better and is better in the 43 car. I think RPM saw this happen last year and its kinda the reason why they wanted to go with bubba. Suarez, seriously what were you guys expecting? ask yourself how did the guy get here. He was ok in gibbs NXS cars, which I say the hauler driver can run in the top 10 with. Other than that he has carlos slim paying the bills. He didn't get here by winning late model races and tearing it up in the lower tiers .

chase elliott, He has been the lone bright spot at times for hendrick. One of the things I liked seeing was he was one of the top guys getting in and off pit road. Its the lap before pitting, the pit stop then the lap after. its a tuff thing to do unless you are a good driver. Kyle busch normally is the best in the business at doing this. Chase has been right up there with kyle. Chase could easily have half a dozen wins right now. I predict once he notches one, a lot more will be coming.

jmac. Jmac is a streak driver. he has done well on plate tracks, and only won in bunches outside of that. That tells me they hit on something with the car and for a small window have an advantage on the field. Jmac is either hot or cold. but mostly cold. when he isn't winning which is not often he is certainly not mixing it up with the top 3 for the win at other times.

kurt, I dunno, sometimes I think large teams focus on a couple drivers and what they are demanding and the other guys are left trying to make work what the other drivers are running. Kurt has never won more than 4 races in a season, he has not won more than 2 since 2005, which was in the roush golden years. I think kurt is a good driver, but since his title he is mostly a clint bowyer, win once or twice a year kinda guy.

He choked big time at the end of the Bristol race but my hero so far this season has to be Kyle Larson. Chevy has been way off this year and Kyle has the 42 up front every week and just a notch off the 18 and 4

Suarez, seriously what were you guys expecting? ask yourself how did the guy get here. He was ok in gibbs NXS cars, which I say the hauler driver can run in the top 10 with. Other than that he has carlos slim paying the bills. He didn't get here by winning late model races and tearing it up in the lower tiers .
As you are well aware, that is exactly how Suarez got here... by superior on-track performance in lower tiers despite near zero resources; unwavering commitment; and willingness to take a huge risk. In a time when many fans are looking for bootstrap success, rather than yet another silver spoon deal, Daniel Suarez is a living example of bootstrap advancement and success as compelling as any.

Your xenophobia and racism toward Suarez was ridiculous and distasteful when it appeared here 3 or 4 years ago... and has become even more so with every repetition.

I'd like to see what Matt DiBenedetto could do in a better car and team. I think he'd open a few eyes in a mid-range car like the 6, which is under-performing in the hands of Trevor Bayne.

Some one wins every race. There are only 10 cars in the top 10. and 25 in the top 25.
Someone finishes last in every race. I don't care what car you put any driver in, those stats will never change. However the cream always rises to the top like KB did yesterday and no matter how good you are, you can always be taken out like some were yesterday.
What boggles my mind is overpaid stupid people that can't remember the rules or didn't bother to learn them. That guy that threw the wrench yesterday would not be working for me today.

Heroic

1.. Clint Bowyer-Guys been bad for years and has a win plus is competitive most weeks. Is 3rd in points

2. Bubba-Has put Petty back on the map when it seemed they were steps away from folding

3. Denny Hamlin-Put him here because he doesn't get the headlines from Gibbs, but He's been solid and will finally break through with a win(s) soon

Underperforming

1. Roush-Stenhouse had a good finish at Bristol, but yikes I don't understand what's happened to what used to be one of the teams in Nascar. Trevor Bayne shouldn't have a ride

2. Johnson- Yes He's been better the past two weeks, but the car hasn't been great. Last night was a very lucky top ten finish

3. McMurray- Last year than bye. I guess JHN could be in the 1

Suarez I'd put here and agree with the OP. I just don't think He's ever been good and really isn't underperforming to anything

Some one wins every race. There are only 10 cars in the top 10. and 25 in the top 25.
Someone finishes last in every race. I don't care what car you put any driver in, those stats will never change. However the cream always rises to the top like KB did yesterday and no matter how good you are, you can always be taken out like some were yesterday.
What boggles my mind is overpaid stupid people that can't remember the rules or didn't bother to learn them. That guy that threw the wrench yesterday would not be working for me today.
I would ask about what was going through that guy's mind, but clearly nothing was. We saw some of the worst pit road mistakes of the year last night.

Heroic

1.. Clint Bowyer-Guys been bad for years and has a win plus is competitive most weeks. Is 3rd in points

2. Bubba-Has put Petty back on the map when it seemed they were steps away from folding

3. Denny Hamlin-Put him here because he doesn't get the headlines from Gibbs, but He's been solid and will finally break through with a win(s) soon

Underperforming

1. Roush-Stenhouse had a good finish at Bristol, but yikes I don't understand what's happened to what used to be one of the teams in Nascar. Trevor Bayne shouldn't have a ride

2. Johnson- Yes He's been better the past two weeks, but the car hasn't been great. Last night was a very lucky top ten finish

3. McMurray- Last year than bye. I guess JHN could be in the 1

Suarez I'd put here and agree with the OP. I just don't think He's ever been good and really isn't underperforming to anything

Very good point there, your inclusion of Bowyer is wonderful. To think that the guy went five years without winning, and now... holy cow, a win at Martinsville and 3rd in points right now? That's gotta be the stuff of dreams for him.

Roush as a whole has sucked awfully this year. Stenhouse wrecks cars on a weekly basis, and Bayne continues to be Bayne. At least Stenhouse gets some solid results to make up for the wrecked race cars. You can't say the same thing for Trevor Bayne. :idunno:

Under performing, I'd have to go with: 1.) Suarez... really thought he'd be a top 10-12 driver by now and contending for wins. Christopher Bell is coming quick, wonder what the good Preacher will do 2.) Bayne..... I hate to say guys suck when I am critiquing from my couch and they are competing at a level that I never will... but good god he sucks. I feel like he's in the way every week, he really shouldnt have a ride. 3.) Ty Dillon... I feel like he's regressed from last year and is 29th in points this year. Still a bit early but I thought he'd run 15-22 each week. 4.) Chase Elliott... time to win and win soon. Not much else I can say, I'm starting to get a bit worried as you figure KDB is going to win some more, Harvick, Truex will get to winning, Hamlin maybe 1-2 more, the 48, Kurt Busch has been running well, Penske boys will win. I dont know where this leaves Chase, if he goes year 3 w/o a win, signal the Bust alarms.

Heroic 1.) Clint Bowyer, the guy has CPR'd his career when it was on life support. Good for him , hope he gets another win this year 2.) Kyle Larson.... working his @ss off with a thus far underperforming Chevrolet while leading the way for the manufacturer, once CGR and Chevy figure it out, watch out KDB 3.) Alex Bowman... Stepping into the shoes of the People's Champion Dale Earnhardt Jr and leading the way for Hendrick(s) Motorsports as their highest ranked Chase Driver. Quietly having a pretty good rookie year, look for him to be strong at Bristol and Phoenix round 2's later in the year. 4.) Dare I say... Kyle Damn Busch for pulling off a successful Face ( Wrestling Term) Turn and becoming a guy fans are starting to cheer for, I really feared for him when he went into the stands last night at Richmond, complete opposite of 10 years ago this race ( Jr vs KDB, spin!) but they were cheering him! What a cool moment.

Jamie McMurray - While his team-mate, Kyle Larson, has been the top Chevy driver for most of 2018's races so far, McMurray's record has been far less stellar. While it does not help that most, if any of the Camaro teams have yet to find their footing, he has had quite a few bad races so far, and has hardly been in the mix. He finally came out with a stout 3rd place showing at Texas, but that has been his sole highlight of the season so far. Following a pretty nice campaign last season that saw him make the playoffs on points, the chances of that happening this year are not looking too bright for McMurray.
I like Jamie a lot and he’s one of my favorite drivers. I’ve long wished that he was more competitive however and have been surprised that Chip hasn’t been demanding more performance from the 1. It *IS* Chip Ganassi Racing after all and not some lower tier team such as FRR.

I like Jamie a lot and he’s one of my favorite drivers. I’ve long wished that he was more competitive however and have been surprised that Chip hasn’t been demanding more performance from the 1. It *IS* Chip Ganassi Racing after all and not some lower tier team such as FRR.
FRR is still considered lower tier? :oops:
Big Mac is a pretty nice guy, but his performance leaves a lot more to be desired. Like you say, it's a wonder Chip does not demand more performance from him or just find someone else that can extract more from the car.

FRR is still considered lower tier? :oops:

I wouldn't think they are on the same tier as Ganassi but maybe that's just me. I think of HMS, JGR, SHR, RCR, Penski, CGR and now, maybe Furniture Row as currently the top tier teams in CUP. Although RMP has the name, I don’t think of them as being on that first list. Also, up until a few years ago, I think RFR was solidly on that list. I no longer think they are however. Some may say that RCR no longer belongs on that list as well.

I’m sure others may disagree with me but that is only my opinion.

I wouldn't think they are on the same tier as Ganassi but maybe that's just me. I think of HMS, JGR, SHR, RCR, Penski, CGR and now, maybe Furniture Row as currently the top tier teams in CUP. Although RMP has the name, I don’t think of them as being on that first list. Also, up until a few years ago, I think RFR was solidly on that list. I no longer think they are however. Some may say that RCR no longer belongs on that list as well.

I’m sure others may disagree with me but that is only my opinion.
Oh... see, when you said "FRR", my mind interpreted it as "Furniture Row Racing". :p

Back
Top Bottom