Upgrades for the Winston

DeeDee

Team Owner
From Nascar.com
CONCORD, N.C. -- R.J. Reynolds has tinkered with the format for The Winston again this year. And the company has increased the purse again, too.

So let's see if we've got this straight: more money, and more cars going for the money. Isn't that a recipe for disaster?

Perhaps, but Jeff Burton and Mark Martin said Wednesday that's just the nature of the beast.

"I think this race pays a million dollars to win -- $50,000 a lap for the last segment -- because there's a good chance we will wreck," said Martin, drawing laughter at the press conference at Lowe's Motor Speedway to announce the changes.

"It all works together. I wouldn't bring my very best, number one car to The Winston. I did that two years in a row and tore 'em up, but we do the same thing at Daytona for the Bud Shootout. I think it's a fantastic event. I'm real excited about it, and I think there's a good chance you'll see some action."

The Winston has been all about action since its inception in 1985. The format has been changed almost as many times as there have been races, but the shorter race distance and high purse has pumped up the intensity, Burton said.

"The rules promote aggression," Burton said. "The rules promote taking chances, and I think that's OK. It's the drivers at the end of the day that make the cars wreck or not wreck. The rules don't necessarily make that happen, but it certainly puts you in a position where you've got to go, but that's what racing is all about. That's what we do and that's what racing ought to be. So it's on a limit, but I think being on a limit is a good thing."

The changes are a lot more subtle than last year, when Sports Marketing Enterprises officials -- the promotional arm of RJR -- began using the "Survival of the Fastest" theme, where drivers were eliminated after each of the first two segments.

That will still happen, with the field being cut to 20 drivers after Segment 1. After Segment 2, however, 14 cars will remain, up from 10 a year ago, when Ryan Newman held off Dale Earnhardt Jr. to get the victory.

Also, whoever comes out ahead on the final segment will pocket $1 million from a $3.5 million purse.

Some other changes:

Officials implemented the "Jeff Burton Rule" during the first segment, saying a driver has to pit for four tires under green, and the stop must be completed before the final lap. Last year, Burton pitted on the last lap and made up a number of positions because he didn't have to get back up to speed.

An inversion will be done for the final segment, but exactly how many and the process for picking how many has yet to be determined.

The Winston Open will be split into two segments of 20 and 10 laps. After the 20-lap segment, the field will be pared down to 14 cars. The yellow flag will be waved, and the remaining drivers can choose to pit, but if they do, they will lose track position. The final 10 laps will determine the one and only transfer spot. Last year, two drivers -- one from the Open and another from the No Bull 5 Sprint -- advanced to the main event.

Qualifying, held Friday night, will again include a four-tire pit stop. The stop, however, must be completed for the final lap, and drivers must finish the qualifying run on the track. Drivers must observe the speed limit on pit road before the stop but can go as fast as they want after it is finished.

With two races left before The Winston, 23 drivers are qualified. The field is set by drivers or car owners who have won races in 2003 or 2002, any Winston Cup champion, any winner of The Winston in the last five years and the winner of the Winston Open.

The Winston is divided into three segments, totaling 90 laps. After the first 40-lap segment, drivers and teams get a 10-minute break to work on their cars without losing track position.

Drivers will restart double-file for the next 30-lap segment, with another 10-minute break. There is not a mandatory green-flag stop during Segment 2. Caution laps count in the first two segments.

There is a double-file start for the final 20-lap dash, and caution flags don't count.

Burton is not one of the drivers qualified, but he has raced in The Winston before, and he knows how crazy it can get.

"What makes the intensity different in this race is just the number of laps that you have to get it done in," Burton said. That's the only difference. You don't race any harder at the Open in The Winston than you do for the 600, it's just that you have less laps to get it done.

"You make more aggressive moves because you've got to get it done right then and there, but we race that hard every week. It's just that we have to make faster decisions to get it done in a shorter amount of time, which is what makes the racing exciting."

Bring it on...I can't wait. I love the Winston. No points, but even more exciting than most points races. Nobody racing for points, go for broke! Oh yeah!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

$1 million bucks. Man, can you imagine what that last segment will be like?

I cant wait cause i just won tickets on the finish line and i get to go in to the pits and have fun

Originally posted by pettyfan4life@Apr 17 2003, 02:52 PM
I cant wait cause i just won tickets on the finish line and i get to go in to the pits and have fun
How AWESOME! How did you win the tickets? I am sure you will have a great time.

:salute:

Originally posted by DeeDee+Apr 17 2003, 02:06 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DeeDee @ Apr 17 2003, 02:06 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--pettyfan4life@Apr 17 2003, 02:52 PM
How AWESOME! How did you win the tickets? I am sure you will have a great time.

:salute: [/b][/quote]
I entered in a drawing for Daytona 500 Tix and there was a second chance drawing witch was the winston I reckon

Originally posted by DeeDee@Apr 16 2003, 02:29 PM
Officials implemented the "Jeff Burton Rule" during the first segment, saying a driver has to pit for four tires under green, and the stop must be completed before the final lap. Last year, Burton pitted on the last lap and made up a number of positions because he didn't have to get back up to speed.
I think it is pretty funny that they named a rule after Jeff Burton. That was really interesting last year when he surprised everyone and pitted right on the last lap and almost won the segment (he came in second if I remember correctly). That was smart of NASACR to change that rule because everyone would have pulled that stunt this year.

Originally posted by pettyfan4life@Apr 17 2003, 12:52 PM
Hopefully is isn't as cold as it was down there last year. Brrrrr (I thought I was at Lambeau Field, not Lowe's) :micro:

Originally posted by Nascar24rainbow+Apr 17 2003, 08:23 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Nascar24rainbow @ Apr 17 2003, 08:23 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--DeeDee@Apr 16 2003, 02:29 PM
I think it is pretty funny that they named a rule after Jeff Burton. That was really interesting last year when he surprised everyone and pitted right on the last lap and almost won the segment (he came in second if I remember correctly). That was smart of NASACR to change that rule because everyone would have pulled that stunt this year. [/b][/quote]
Yup, Jeff finished 2nd in that segment. But Matt & Robbie Reiser said that it was their idea. Why they told Frankie Stodard & Jeff & why they didn't try it themselves is a bit puzzling. :cuckoo:

When we got back & I watched the tape of the race, the Fox crew said there would be a rule against it next year. Good call by them.

Back
Top Bottom