USA Today is Trash

I thought he nailed it. The writer is from the Detroit free press, not USA Today, btw. Sorry he doesn't like your driver.

It was published by USA Today. He complains that Larson isn't a real Racer... that fake racer won a WoO race last week before winning the cup race yesterday. Whether I'm a fan or not is totally irrelevant.

http://amp.usatoday.com/story/407610001/

What are they, trying to kill all potenial hype? Writer doesn't even know who the drivers are, ffs

I don't follow you with the hype and killing all potential hype thing.

When you have a series that has lost half its fan base and continues to lose fans at an alarming rate each year there isn't a whole lot to be positive about. The writer is correct about a several things but is incorrect about rivalries sparking interest. The Kyle Busch beat down caught some brief national attention and didn't move the needle for any of the ensuing races. Same thing concerning the couple of JLo/Kenseth dust ups.

I don't follow you with the hype and killing all potential hype thing.

When you have a series that has lost half its fan base and continues to lose fans at an alarming rate each year there isn't a whole lot to be positive about. The writer is correct about a several things but is incorrect about rivalries sparking interest. The Kyle Busch beat down caught some brief national attention and didn't move the needle for any of the ensuing races. Same thing concerning the couple of JLo/Kenseth dust ups.

I basically meant they are trying to create nonsensical issues.

I agree with the guy regarding NASCAR's needless meddling, but his opinion on personalities is FUBAR.

It was published by USA Today. He complains that Larson isn't a real Racer... that fake racer won a WoO race last week before winning the cup race yesterday. Whether I'm a fan or not is totally irrelevant.

I missed the part about the writer saying that Larson isn't a real racer but I did catch the part where he said "The 24-year-old California native is talented and backed by Chevrolet and Chip Ganassi Racing, blue-blood lineage for sure."

I missed the part about the writer saying that Larson isn't a real racer but I did catch the part where he said "The 24-year-old California native is talented and backed by Chevrolet and Chip Ganassi Racing, blue-blood lineage for sure."

The writer is complaining that these kids these days aren't "real racers" like Dale and (insert old timer here)..

Immediately following:

"True to stereotype, he sat on the dais for his post-race interview Sunday evening and talked about relaxing in California next week and sipping wine. (The series next heads to Sonoma Raceway in California wine country, where the race winner drinks from a goblet of wine in victory lane.)
Look, I’m not suggesting a worldly and gifted young driver should tell us he’s gonna go out and beer-pong a 12-pack of Natural Light. (Though that would add a little grit to the headline, no?) What I am suggesting is that NASCAR continues to have an identity problem.

And Larson is a poster boy for it."

It sounded like he was trying to say the drivers are boring (ok, fair point), but he gets stuck in neutral for the entire article and never really gives any evidence or suggestions beyond Larson saying he's going to drink some wine next weekend (in wine country). The only suggestion he has is for Larson and Elliott to "dislike" each other. I've never believed that you have to have fights and drivers hating each other to bring buzz. Did Petty and Pearson dislike each other? No, but they were always up front and competing for wins. I've always said that with parity you take away the greatness storyline. When more than half the field has a chance to win on any given weekend, it takes away some of the excitement. People love to see two or three teams consistently competing for wins and championships. Just look at the buzz the Warriors and Cavs have received in the past couple years.

Reactions: Pat
I basically meant they are trying to create nonsensical issues.

I agree with the guy regarding NASCAR's needless meddling, but his opinion on personalities is FUBAR.

Gotcha. I agree that his take on drivers and personalities sounded made up or imagined. IDK what people mean by rivalries either as Kyle Busch is a rival to many as is BKez, JLo, Harvick and Johnson. There is a rivalry between Elliott and Blaney plus Jones and Suarez so I don't understand what the writer is asking for.

I'll be honest I don't understand what the driving force behind the Lost fan base is maybe it's this maybe it's that. we could speculate about a thousand things. But if you take me for example I pretty much don't care about all the specifics at the end of the day I grew up loving the sport and I will always love the sport as long as it's around.

I can see it now... "Chase Elliott is the poster boy for NASCAR's identity crisis". Lol.

Nah, the USA Today will probably proclaim it the greatest race in NASCAR history and talk about the sport being saved.

This article even said something about most of NASCAR's fanbase leaving because Jr. is retiring, yet most of them are just converting into Chase Elliott or Kyle Larson fans.

The writer is complaining that these kids these days aren't "real racers" like Dale and (insert old timer here)..

Immediately following:

"True to stereotype, he sat on the dais for his post-race interview Sunday evening and talked about relaxing in California next week and sipping wine. (The series next heads to Sonoma Raceway in California wine country, where the race winner drinks from a goblet of wine in victory lane.)
Look, I’m not suggesting a worldly and gifted young driver should tell us he’s gonna go out and beer-pong a 12-pack of Natural Light. (Though that would add a little grit to the headline, no?) What I am suggesting is that NASCAR continues to have an identity problem.

And Larson is a poster boy for it."

JMO but I didn't take that as meaning he wasn't a good racer more than the writer was saying he felt that Larson and some of the others didn't fit the image Nascar should have. I think what the writer and lots of others are missing is that these guys are all millionaires and they live in a different world than most of us and many of their predecessors. I don't think yesterday's drivers would move the popularity level today as times have changed.

Goodness, what a terrible article.

So Kyle Larson's not a real racer because he's not Dale Earnhardt? Got it. 16 years later and the media is still making the sport revolve around Earnhardt. :rolleyes:

I'll be honest I don't understand what the driving force behind the Lost fan base is maybe it's this maybe it's that. we could speculate about a thousand things. But if you take me for example I pretty much don't care about all the specifics at the end of the day I grew up loving the sport and I will always love the sport as long as it's around.

"the lost fan base" is used as an alibi mostly for bad writing and drama queens..they will come up with just about any point and then use the loss of fans angle to make their usually bogus point. same here. They assign a guy who doesn't know crap about the sport and that is the best they can come up with on short notice..character assassination and 10 15 year old information.

Glad Kyle stood up for himself. If this idiot knew anything about Kyle Larson he would know that he is the epitome of a poster boy he is the right amount of everything and he's great for the sport.

I think the reason why there is so many articles and so much talk about Nascar's shrinking fan base is because of the large numbers involved and that the losses show no signs of stopping. The biggest things we have seen so far is car counts dropping, sponsorships becoming more difficult to obtain and maintain and the title sponsorship dropping from around 75 million per year to around 20 million. I don't think there should be even the remotest of fears that Nascar is coming to an end more than it is just going to be

I had mixed emotions reading the article. Some of it was spot on, some crap. Bottom line is NASCAR must get back to connecting with the racing community. I have expressed my opinion on this forum many times and it really isn't that difficult of a concept. It needs to be "personal". That means drivers, sponsors, owners etc who can literally reach millions each week need to be out there connecting with race fans. While that in itself seems simple NASCAR also needs a long range plan. Tell me, when was the last time you heard them say, in five to seven years this is where we want to be? There is enough of us to support NASCAR.

Some weird jabs in there but the general premise that no one in NASCAR transcends the sport (besides Jr. and maybe Jimmie, and their days are numbered) is correct, although not really anything we didn't already know after Gordon and Stewart retired. Baseball and hockey have the same problem. Golf has a few but they're not consistent enough and no combination of them will ever be able to match Phil and Tiger.

aw crap Arnie and Jack before those and there will be more after, it is just hit the ball in the hole.

Some weird jabs in there but the general premise that no one in NASCAR transcends the sport (besides Jr. and maybe Jimmie, and their days are numbered) is correct, although not really anything we didn't already know after Gordon and Stewart retired. Baseball and hockey have the same problem. Golf has a few but they're not consistent enough and no combination of them will ever be able to match Phil and Tiger.

Nascar would be better off changing the name of Larson or Blaney or both to Earnhardt as it would help a lot. I am only half kidding.

Lmfao:

Lolololol

And the author himself.

I get it, but poor delivery.

The rivalry arguement is tired as hell.

I doubt anyone read the article and said "well I was going to check out Nascar but due to this article I have decided against it."

I doubt anyone read the article and said "well I was going to check out Nascar but due to this article I have decided against it."

USA Today got more clicks off of that dumpster fire than anything in the past 6 months, more than likely.

If the race was half full like Shawn Windsor said then about 35,000 were in attendance which is unacceptably low. Kenny Wallace......not the sharpest knife in the drawer and the plaintive wails of most of the drivers and former drivers sounds defensive instead of assertive.

Lmfao:

Lolololol

And the author himself.

I get it, but poor delivery.

The rivalry arguement is tired as hell.

Glad they are burying the clown, some of these so called journalists think they can get away scott free saying anything they want. he's paying the price, couldn't even spell the drivers names correctly. Sorry Detroiters but that is where he needs to be.

If the race was half full like Shawn Windsor said then about 35,000 were in attendance which is unacceptably low. Kenny Wallace......not the sharpest knife in the drawer and the plaintive wails of most of the drivers and former drivers sounds defensive instead of assertive.

It was over half-full. That was obvious on the telecast.

I think it's absurd to criticize the crop of drivers with all the bull****tery thrown around by the sanctioning body...

USA Today got more clicks off of that dumpster fire than anything in the past 6 months, more than likely.

I must be different as I would not be swayed 1 iota either positively or negatively by an article like that. In my mind allowing something like that to make a decision for me doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Plaintive wails?

Some racing people spoke out against this guy's editorializing. Anybody who doesn't understand who and what Kyle Larson is should not be sounding off in this manner. Heaven forbid that people who do understand have something to say.

Back
Top Bottom