Verizon 200@Indianapolis Road Course Pre Race

Jorge De Guzman

2017, 2021 Pick Em Champion 2018 Bold Predictor

Verizon 200​

Sunday, August 15, 2021​

Indianapolis Motor Speedway Road Course​

Time: 1:00pm/et​

TV: NBC (Radio Style Broadcast) - Radio: IMS, Sirius XM NASCAR​

There will be one practice session and qualifying for the Indianapolis Race.

WEEKEND ON-TRACK SCHEDULE​

Friday, August 13
*INFIELD ACCESS LIMITED – APPROVED PERSONNEL ONLY*
4:30 PM NCS ROOKIE MEETING (VIRTUAL)
5:00 PM NCS DRIVER / CREW CHIEF MEETING (VIRTUAL)
7:30 PM 9:30 PM NCS HAULERS ENTER (SCREENING & EQUIPMENT UNLOAD)
Saturday, August 14
7:00 AM 5:30 PM NCS TEAM ACCESS SCREENING IN PROGRESS
7:00 AM 6:30 PM NCS GARAGE OPEN
10:00 AM NCS RANDOM DRAWING (QUALIFYING LINEUP) (VIRTUAL)
11:05 AM-11:55 AM NCS PRACTICE
Sunday, August 15
7:00 AM 12:00 PM NCS TEAM ACCESS SCREENING IN PROGRESS
7:00 AM NCS GARAGE OPEN
9:05 AM NCS QUALIFYING (IMPOUND) (MULTI-VEHICLE / TWO ROUNDS)
12:40 PM NCS DRIVERS REPORT TO VEHICLES (GRID LOCATION)
12:45 PM NCS DRIVER INTRODUCTIONS (DRIVERS STANDING BY CARS)
1:00 PM NCS RACE (STAGES 15/35/82 LAPS = 200 MILES)
4:30 PM Approx NCS HAULERS EXIT

Don’t forget it’s a Double Main Event weekend with an Indy Car race on Saturday. As for the race formerly known as the Brickyard 400, one of my absolute FAVORITE races on the calendar.....
1628511940478.gif

I know the road course will produce a better race, but there was always something special about NASCAR at the Brickyard on the oval.

As much as I cracked jokes about how boring it was, that was still a major. Now, I couldn't possibly care any less.
it just doesnt feel special anymore. Usually I was super excited for this weekend, now I'll probably have it on in the background. I honestly hope this mistake is rectified for next year, I already miss the race on the oval.

it just doesnt feel special anymore. Usually I was super excited for this weekend, now I'll probably have it on in the background. I honestly hope this mistake is rectified for next year, I already miss the race on the oval.
The Brickyard 400 lost its luster about 10 years ago and the race further declined as the cars changed and stages were added IMO. It used to be one of my favorites all year but now with the next Gen coming I firmly believe moving it to the road course was the better decision; the best decision would be moving to the short track down the road.

The Brickyard 400 lost its luster about 10 years ago and the race further declined as the cars changed and stages were added IMO. It used to be one of my favorites all year but now with the next Gen coming I firmly believe moving it to the road course was the better decision; the best decision would be moving to the short track down the road.
It lost something I'll agree. I think the constant date swapping in the last decade, the tire issue, stages added and whatever else went wrong there made the race expendable to the road course. I am not at all looking forward to a road race there, there's many other roadies they coulda went to and kept it on the oval. But here we are, I am bummed about it.

The tire deal in 2008 was fatal to that race. But it was still a race everybody wanted to win because it’s Indy.

Don’t forget it’s a Double Main Event weekend with an Indy Car race on Saturday. As for the race formerly known as the Brickyard 400, one of my absolute FAVORITE races on the calendar.....
View attachment 56733

I'm agnostic on the switch, especially because the oval race had already been cheapened with NA18D, and the road course is a high HP / low DF race. You're hardly alone though.

The tire fiasco race weakened the Brickyard 400. What killed the Brickyard 400 is dumbed down expectations for what elite auto racing is: that a "good race" is one in which the cars drone around the track at full throttle stuck together in formation.

I think everyone is missing the boat here. Indycar has put on a far better show at this place than NASCAR the last 15-20 years which has really made this race look worse than it is. If you can’t get a draft down those long straights then it’s not going to entertaining at all

I think everyone is missing the boat here. Indycar has put on a far better show at this place than NASCAR the last 15-20 years which has really made this race look worse than it is. If you can’t get a draft down those long straights then it’s not going to entertaining at all

Correct. Compared to twenty years ago indycars race 10x better than they were and stock cars are racing 10x worse...both of which are thanks to aero.

Also with American open wheel racing being the healthiest it's been since the split I doubt the track is worried about ticket sales. For a number of years the Indy 500 had pretty bad attendance while the Brickyard was sold out. Now the 500 is selling out every year again. That was not the case after the split into the 00s.

The Brickyard was IMS's "insurance" in case the Indy 500 never regained it's luster. It took 30 years but Indycar is finally healthy.

The Cup races at Indy were fine until 2008. The tire fiasco was also the first year they had the COT there.

I appreciated the Brickyard as a different kind of race that relied on strategy, fuel conservation, track position and qualifying up front or towards the front. It was a bit like Pocono for me.

Aero push had been degrading the racing on the oval for years though we still had great battles like Stewart and Kahne in 05 and Stewart and Harvick in 07. The 08 tire clustercrap and changing the date back and forth were the last two nails in the coffin. Never the less it was a crown jewel event and as interested as I am in seeing the cup guys run the road course I'm gonna miss the Brickyard 400

I have no idea who I’m gonna pick for the Pick Em Game. I miss the Road Course Ringers that used to make cameo’s during Cup roadies.

Gonna go out on a limb and predict
lots of good pack racing and if there’s no NASCAR generated caution inside of 10 laps to go
the winner wins with a 10 or more second lead

i will start watching indy races when they move them to IRP

Haven’t seen
Gonna go out on a limb and predict
lots of good pack racing and if there’s no NASCAR generated caution inside of 10 laps to go
the winner wins with a 10 or more second lead
We’re at the road course this year. :)

The entry list is out but I don’t know how to post it. I should have left the pre race thread to the professionals

I already miss the oval. In 03 I sat in turn 3, I saw people flip off Jeff Gordon, I had some drunk spaz try to tell my 12 year old self he was abducted by aliens. He then tried to show me the scar. Harvick won from the pole. My first ever race.

Saw Smoke win in 07, here kitty kitty.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

In 03 I sat in turn 3, I saw people flip off Jeff Gordon, I had some drunk spaz try to tell my 12 year old self he was abducted by aliens. He then tried to show me the scar.
That's...certainly something.

The reverence many have for this place has not and never will be about the road course, so some luster will be lost for sure. The Brickyard continued to rate as a crown jewel on TV despite the attendance issues through the years, on the strength of the legend and lore of the oval. There's no reason the road course can't be a great show for Cup cars but I wouldn't expect the needle to be moved much. My ideal weekend would be more like last year's, with Xfinity on the road course the day before the 400 on the oval.

My ideal weekend would be more like last year's, with Xfinity on the road course the day before the 400 on the oval.
That got me thinking...Pocono double-header style with a shortened race on the road course Saturday and oval Sunday (for Cup). Keep the Trucks & Xfinity elsewhere

The Brickyard was one of my favorites the first 10 years they raced there, but really started to lose it's luster after '08 for the reasons you guys have pointed out above in this thread. I went to the race in '16 and while it was really cool to see the track in person and admire it's rich history, I have no desire to go back and watch another race there. At this point I don't care if they race on the oval or road course or remove it from the schedule altogether.

Oval single lane track with no passing = bust
Road course = :punkrocke
Keeping it 100% honest:

Oval single lane track with no passing on which my driver is not good and had no chance= bust.
Road course where my guy will be prohibitive favorite as long as team avoids cranial-rectal inversion again = :punkrocke:jamming:

Keeping it 100% honest:

Oval single lane track with no passing on which my driver is not good and had no chance= bust.
Road course where my guy will be prohibitive favorite as long as team avoids cranial-rectal inversion again = :punkrocke:jamming:
yeah. I think it requires more skill to race on a road course. Especially when it comes to Indy. Passing in the pits and not on the track for some reason doesn't turn my crank at the Brick yard :sarcasm: . I go way the hell back and I have never liked Nascar racing at Indy. It took away some of the mystic that the 500 had.

Reactions: sdj
That's...certainly something.
Yeah, it took me years to realize how inappropriate this was. I just thought it was funny. But the reality is, this freak was in the tank, turned around, and tried to lower his overalls to show a random 12 year old a scar.

No bueno.

Keeping it 100% honest:

Elliot lead a lot of laps last year and checked out.

Back
Top Bottom