Vickers?

That one commercial where the guy said Vickers has raced against thousands of drivers grinds my gears for some reason.

So Hamlin'esque.

Or maybe that's true and I'm not giving him his due? LOL

That one commercial where the guy said Vickers has raced against thousands of drivers grinds my gears for some reason.

So Hamlin'esque.

Or maybe that's true and I'm not giving him his due? LOL

He was racing karts from young childhood on, up through late models and such. It's probably both technically true and a silly inflated way to express it. Wouldn't saying hundreds still have the same impact?

I kinda liked Vickers. He may have disappointed with Hendrick at the Cup level, but as far as I'm concerned, he overachieved with every subsequent opportunity he got, factoring in the health issues. He made an ass of himself on the track a couple times driving over his head (Martinsville was not his jam), but the same can be said of nearly everyone else.

I kinda liked Vickers. He may have disappointed with Hendrick at the Cup level, but as far as I'm concerned, he overachieved with every subsequent opportunity he got, factoring in the health issues. He made an ass of himself on the track a couple times driving over his head (Martinsville was not his jam), but the same can be said of nearly everyone else.
Its shame his health problems got in the way of his career.

Overachieved in his Red Bull stint & MWR stint for the most part.

Underachieved in the JGR Xfinity ride, and at HMS, though I think 2 seasons of 5 top 5's and near or at 10 top 10's was good enough to keep him another year at least over Casey Mears.

I always thought he had a lot of potential, but I think he got rushed up to Cup a year too soon. His deal at Hendrick never seemed the same once his biggest supporter (Ricky Hendrick) died. I think he also got lost in the mix with the rising stars of Jimmie Johnson and Kyle Busch.

Sorry to throw shade on Vickers, but I'm not a fan. Raced against him in karts (I was owner / mechanic - had a neighbor kid driving) and yes he won a lot but he also had most of the field out-spent. Usually kart teams help each other, but the Vickers team chased people away. He did okay as he progressed through the Allison Legacy Series, late models, and USAR - but his results declined as his family's resources got stretched. He was floundering in the Busch Series until he got to replace his buddy Ricky Hendrick in the Hendrick car... that gave him the resources to win a few races and a championship. When he got a Hendrick Nextel Cup ride he didn't like sharing information with the other teams, and finally got booted after wrecking Jimmie Johnson and Dale Earnhardt Jr. (the latter not yet a Hendrick driver, but with an associated team) to win his first race. After that he struggled with under-funded / inexperienced Cup teams, although he did show flashes of brilliance a few times, but by then he had health problems.

To me he is a capable driver but not really a star - others can carry a lacking car better, and do more with good cars. He appears to have straightened his attitude out, but with his past behavior and results coupled with his health he is unlikely to land another top flight ride.

Did he die or something?

New Hampshire. 2013. Driving part-time for MWR in the Cup Series, he pulls off a bit of an upset.
This is what defined his career most for me. He may not be an A-class driver, but Brian Vickers seized his opportunities pretty well. Had he kept on, he'd have more than just 3 Cup wins.

The fate of the world as we know it may hinge on it. If we let this slide, what's next?
The fruits of knowledge have been planted within us. With this new information, we will be able to figure out the meaning of life.

So is Vickers trying to make a comeback?
I thought he was going into broadcasting. His body won't allow him to sustain G forces for long.
I know people who can't fly because of the same problem. He had to fly and drive which makes it very hard on his body regarding blood clots.

I thought Kez said Kyle Busch was....I am confused.
Asshopper: It is possible for two people or more to be an Ass at the same time. How is that you can read some threads here, and not see some dueling Asses coexisting at the same time [would post a smiling icon here if sophisticated enough, to indicate this post is meant in good fun]

Vickers is HOF worthy after this payback at Sonoma. :D

It was funny at the time. But imo Vickers seemed to be more about knocking Stuart out. And later on settling a beef against Matt Kenseth at Martinsville than anything else. More like an emphasis to win a battle verses winning the war (race).

I thought he was going into broadcasting. His body won't allow him to sustain G forces for long.
I know people who can't fly because of the same problem. He had to fly and drive which makes it very hard on his body regarding blood clots.
I thought this was the case, but thought the new meds were keeping this under control; and he was back in racing at some level?

I thought this was the case, but thought the new meds were keeping this under control; and he was back in racing at some level?
According to an acquaintance, the meds help IF they avoid G forces and high stress situations.

Back
Top Bottom