Virus check

B

boB

Over the last week I've received three messages from MDaemon that messages from my email address contained an unnamed virus. None of the addresses to which the email was directed are contained in my adress book.
I've updated and scanned my computer with three different scan systems and all have come up clean.
After talking with the tech folks at my ISP, they tell me that the infected messages are originating from a computer which contains both my email address and those to which the messages were directed.
Unfortunately, I deleted the earlier messages, but do remember that part of one address was "targetscr" and this mornings message was to "[email protected]".
I'd suggest that anyone who has my email in their address book update your virus program and run a scan.
Sorry for any inconvienance and hope everything is OK with your systems.
boB in nh

Please, if you don't already have it, get the latest Norton.

Check out worldstart.com for a great deal on SystemWorks.

Kat,
The tech people at my ISP tell me that none of the systems are worth much unless they are updated EVERY day. Even at that, new viruses and worms are being developed faster than the scan systems can keep up.
I've used Norton and have found the Mcafee system to work better and it's automatically updated.
I also have two other systems installed, one for virus scans and another firewall system as I've had my computer hacked into in the past.
It was quite inconvienent, to say the least and more than a little costly as my hard drive was destroyed along with all my files, before the whole mess was over.
I write for several different websites, do some PR work, and serve as a moderator on a history group as well.
I know that my computer is not the one sending the infected emails; I've contacted the site which is sending me the notices to see if they can track the ISP # of the infected computer, but I have not heard from them yet today.
I just wanted to make anyone who might have my email in their address book aware and get them to check their computers.

boB, I am under the impression that Norton updates automaticly and have never had a problem. McAfee was a pain for me, but I'm certainly no expert...farrrrrrrrr from it.

My ISP told me the same thing, as did Microsoft (the know nothing mentality..duh).

Paul told me that my system was linked thru Marketscore when I never signed up for anything, removed it with help from my computer geek and bucckaroo.

I wish you the best and I know there many on the forum who may be able to help.

I suggest that all of you get "Mailwasher", it is a FREE email pre-reader program that allows you to discard all unwanted SPAM before it reached your own harddrive. Get it at http://www.mailwasher.net:D

I think that you folks misunderstood. I don't have any virus in my computer.
Someone who has my email address does.
I've got two different anti-virus programs installed, along with another program which will scan for any of the Klez variants. I also have a program to scan for junk mail, and my server scans the email as well.
This is how we found that someone else who has my email address in their address book also has some type of unnamed virus.
I was just trying to let folks know that someone has a problem. Maybe if they find that out, they can scan and clean their computer before they lose their files or hard drive.

boB, I use Norton's Internet Security which is both a firewall and antivirus. It can be set to update as often as you like...providing of course you are on all the time such as with cable or a DSL. It's pretty good. Never cared for McAfee. Just a matter of choice I suspect.

Back
Top Bottom