Volkswagen Group considering future Formula 1 entry

I'd love to see a F1 powered VW Up! test mule.

1280px-Volkswagen_W16.jpg

An Audi-Mercedes F1 rivalry would be crazy. And at some point, I do think they want Porsche back as the leader of the premier class at Le Mans. Competing against each other is kinda silly.

An Audi-Mercedes F1 rivalry would be crazy. And at some point, I do think they want Porsche back as the leader of the premier class at Le Mans. Competing against each other is kinda silly.

Would be real crazy if they were allowed to build stuff that didnt sound like a riding lawnmower

The VW brand doesn't have the same panache their Porsche, Lamborghini, and Bugatti divisions - I couldn't pick a favorite. I associate Audi with sports car racing although Porsche is probably better known for sports cars. The VW logo is well known though.

Would be real crazy if they were allowed to build stuff that didnt sound like a riding lawnmower
To be honest, I don't really mind the sound of the new power units. I just wish they were a bit louder, but they're definitely unique.

Also, the new power units are probably part of what's drawing VW to F1. Audi has plenty of experience with V6s, turbochargers, and energy recovery systems in the WEC. Porsche's 919 Hybrid is turbocharged too and has a couple of ERS. If it weren't for this technology manufacturers wouldn't be nearly as interested in the sport (Mercedes recently said they'd leave the sport if F1 went back to naturally aspirated V8s).

To be honest, I don't really mind the sound of the new power units. I just wish they were a bit louder, but they're definitely unique.

Also, the new power units are probably part of what's drawing VW to F1. Audi has plenty of experience with V6s, turbochargers, and energy recovery systems in the WEC. Porsche's 919 Hybrid is turbocharged too and has a couple of ERS. If it weren't for this technology manufacturers wouldn't be nearly as interested in the sport (Mercedes recently said they'd leave the sport if F1 went back to naturally aspirated V8s).

I just miss the cars of old :(

I catch myself going on YouTube to find videos of the V10 engines from time to time. Probably the best race cars I've ever heard.

Check out the one of Senna at Monaco driving the turbo car, its awesome

If they have unlimited budgets they should be able to build anything - any number of cylinders.

I sent a note to Tutor last year suggesting they have an unlimited class; no points, no prize money for those who want to try new ideas.

I miss the V10 but you know what I miss more? The monsters of the mid-to-late 90s in CART. Less downforce than Formula 1 but 1000hp.

Awesome stuff. Sad those days are over.

Back
Top Bottom