Volunteer Speedway (Scorcher) Aug. 20-21, 2008

kelloggs5TLfan

Team Owner
World of Outlaws Late Model Series 'Scorcher' scheduled Aug. 20-21, 2008 at Volunteer Speedway
http://www.volunteerspeedway.com/

BULLS GAP, Tenn. — Big purse money will once again be paid out at Volunteer Speedway on Wednesday and Thursday, Aug. 20-21, for the World of Outlaws Late Model Series sanctioned fifth annual Scorcher presented by Alltel Wireless and Rusty Wallace Toyota of Morristown. Dirt Late Model racers and fans from all across the United States are expected to head to "The Gap" for the 2008 version of the Scorcher.

Previous Scorcher winners are: Randle Chupp (2004), Rick Eckert (2005), Scott Bloomquist (2006), and Chris Madden (2007).

Race fans from all 50 states and also from several foreign countries visit the East Tennessee region two times a year for the NASCAR racing at nearby Bristol Motor Speedway. With Volunteer Speedway hosting big-purse special events in mid-week during August race-week at Bristol, many out-of-state fans in the region for the NASCAR action have taken the short drive down Interstate 81 to take in a night of exciting dirt racing.

NASCAR Sprint Cup Series driver Ryan Newman, winner of the 2008 Daytona 500, will be present for the Scorcher racing his No. 12 Alltel dirt late model on Thursday, Aug. 21.

Plus, see top-name drivers in action such as Scott Bloomquist of Mooresburg, Tenn.; Darrell Lanigan of Union, Ky.; Josh Richards of Shinnston, W.Va.; Steve Francis of Ashland, Ky.; Shane Clanton of Locust Grove, Ga.; Chub Frank of Bear Lake, Pa.; Shannon Babb of Moweaqua, Ill.; Clint Smith of Senoia, Ga.; Rick Eckert of York, Pa.; Tim Fuller of Watertown, N.Y.; John Blankenship of Williamson, W.Va.; Vic Coffey of Leicester, N.Y.; Jimmy Owens of Newport, Tenn.; Chris Madden of Gray Court, S.C.; Ray Cook of Brasstown, N.C.; Darren Miller of Chadwick, Ill.; Dale McDowell of Chickamauga, Ga.; Austin Dillon of Lewisville, N.C.; Brandon Kinzer of Allen, Ky.; Brady Smith of Solon Springs, Wis.; Michael England of Glasgow, Ky., Eric Jacobsen of Sea Cliffe Beach, Calif., Joe Isabell of Pennellville, N.Y., Jeff Isabell Jr. of Pennellville, N.Y., plus many more.

Racers' from around the East Tennessee region looking to take on the out-of-state invaders include Vic Hill of Morristown, Maryville's Tommy Kerr, Shanon Buckingham of Morristown, Bristol's Kerry Jones, Jeff Maupin of Greeneville, Knoxville's Mark Douglas, Billy Ogle Jr. of Knoxville, Crossville's Randy Weaver, Rick Rogers of Knoxville, Clinton's Anthony White, Mike Smith of Rogersville, Knoxville's Bryan Hendrix, Chad Ogle of Sevierville, Knoxville's Herman Goddard, Steve Smith of Powell, Shane Roberts of Blountville, Kingsport's John King, Shon Flanary of Mount Carmel, Greeneville's Mike Jackson, Jonesborough's Bobby Mays, Roger Best of Maryville, Powell's Mark Vineyard, Joe Armes of Petros, along with several others.

On Wednesday, Aug. 20, World of Outlaws Late Model Series "Scorcher" qualifying, heat races, last chance B-mains and 60-lap $10,000-to-win feature is scheduled, along with a 25-lap "Courtesy Chevrolet" Crate Late Model feature. Adult grandstand admission on Wednesday is $25, youth (ages 6-15) $10, with 5-and-under admitted free. Pit admission and backside tier-parking $35.

On Thursday, Aug. 21, night two of the 2008 World of Outlaws Late Model Series "Scorcher" doubleheader will see another complete $10,000-to-win show, with qualifying, heat races, last chance B-mains and 60-lap $10,000-to-win feature. Also, a 25-lap "Courtesy Chevrolet" Crate Late Model feature is scheduled. Adult grandstand admission on Thursday is $25, youth (ages 6-15) $10, with 5-and-under admitted free. Pit admission and backside tier-parking $35.

TNT Race Cars & Parts of Piney Flats, Tenn., along with Volunteer Speedway will pay a $1,000 bonus to the "Courtesy Chevrolet" Crate Late Model competitor with the best combined average finish over the two nights of racing.

***NOTE: Per Volunteer Speedway track rules, all competitors must have a window net, and drivers must also wear complete racing uniform, along with racing gloves.

The pit gate will open daily at 3 p.m. and the grandstand gate will open each day at 4 p.m. Hotlaps are "tentatively" scheduled to begin each evening (when the sun begins to go down) around 7:45 p.m.

Reserved two-night seats for Wednesday and Thursday, Aug. 20-21 are currently on sale. A two-night reserved seat will be $45, a savings of $5 if purchased on individual nights ($25 each night) at the track ticket office. Reserved seats are available in turn one and turn four (orange-backed seats), and the aluminum bleacher seats with backs along the front straightaway. For more information regarding advance tickets, please contact Ginger Light at (423) 349-6520.

With a big crowd expected for the Scorcher — lawn chairs will not be allowed in the front straightaway grandstands — only stadium seat cushions with backs on them. The track apologizes for the possible inconvenience to some spectators, but all seating space will need to be utilized to its fullest for this event. Also, no coolers permitted in the front straightaway grandstands.

Volunteer Speedway: (423) 235-5020
Track Office - Weekdays Only 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.: (423) 378-5942
Phyllis Loven: (423) 676-9081
Robert Walden-Media/Public Relations Director: (423) 928-9644 [email protected]
Jimmy Meade-Marketing and Sales: (423) 817-0925

Can't wait. Hope the track is in good shape and hope to see more big names come in.

http://www.volunteerspeedway.com/ About 4 paragraphs down.

Per RW:
Everybody, make sure you read this Alltel FanZone information closely ... especially if you're an Alltel wireless phone customer. You could be stuffing some Alltel $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ in your pocket.

Also, notice that Ryan Newman will be at the FanZone at 5 p.m. to sign autographs and meet and greet fans.

Alltel Wireless, meanwhile, has posted an additional $4,000 to be divided among five drivers and five fans following Thursday night’s show, which will also feature an appearance by Alltel-sponsored NASCAR Sprint Cup Series star Ryan Newman.

Thursday night’s Alltel Wireless promotion will see 24 fans paired with drivers in the A-Main starting field by a random distribution of Alltel hats. The fans holding the hats marked with the numbers and names of the drivers who finish in the top-five at the end of the headline WoO LMS race will be invited to participate in the Alltel ‘My Circle 5’ Victory Lane ceremonies and receive cash prizes.

The A-Main’s winning driver and the fan paired with him for the event will receive $1,000 apiece from Alltel Wireless. The remaining driver/fan pairings will earn payoffs of $400 each for second place, $300 each for third, $200 each for fourth and $100 each for fifth.

Thursday night’s contest is just part of the interactive fan experience that Alltel Wireless representatives have planned for the ‘Scorcher,’ a huge event that figures to draw in the neighborhood of 50 cars as well as thousands of race fans who will invade eastern Tennessee for the weekend’s NASCAR events at nearby Bristol Motor Speedway.

The Alltel FanZone will be in operation both nights behind Volunteer Speedway’s main grandstand. Fans can gain entry to the FanZone for themselves and a guest by showing their Alltel phone at the check-in table.

There will be plenty of action in the Alltel FanZone. Food and drink will be provided each night, and fans will receive commemorative ‘Scorcher’ posters and have an opportunity to win special prizes.

The FanZone intensity will be pumped up even more on Thursday night. The first 100 fans to check in with their Alltel phones will receive a free pit-pass upgrade to get an up-close look at the stars and cars of the WoO LMS, and 2008 Daytona 500 winner Ryan Newman will visit the area at 5 p.m. to sign autographs before beginning his night of racing behind the wheel of the Alltel No. 12 dirt Late Model prepared by defending WoO LMS champion Steve Francis of Ashland, Ky.

I'm still hoping another NASCAR guy will race, but it's looking doubtful.

1. (5) Jimmy Owens #20-Newport, TN (60)
2. (4) Tim McCreadie #39-Watertown, NY (60)
3. (2) Shane Clanton #25-Locust Grove, GA (60)
4. (1) Shannon Babb #18-Mowequa, IL (60)
5. (3) Chub Frank #1*-Bear Lake, PA (600
6. (8) Brady Smith #2-Solon Springs, WI (60)
7. (7) Jeff Maupin #0-Greeneville, TN (60)
8. (6) Vic Hill #1vh-Morristown, TN (60)
9. (14) Steve Francis #19-Ashland, KY (60)
10. (16) Dale McDowell #17m-Chickamauga, GA (60)
11. (9) Shanon Buckingham #50-Morristown, TN (60)
12. (11) Darrell Lanigan #29-Union, KY (60)
13. (13) Josh Richards #1-Shinnston, WV (60)
14. (21) Billy Ogle Jr. #201-Knoxville, TN (60)
15. (18) Vic Coffey #32c-Leicester, NY (60)
16. (24) Eric Jacobsen #5-Santa Cruz, CA (60)
17. (20) Chris Madden #44m-Gray Court, SC (54)
18. (10) Rick Rogers #44r-Knoxville, TN (54)
19. (23) Rick Eckert #24-York, PA (50)
20. (19) Clint Smith #44-Senoia, GA (40)
21. (12) Shon Flanary #98-Mount Carmel, TN (36)
22. (15) Randy Weaver #116-Crossville, TN (24)
23. (17) Mark Vineyard #4v-Powell, TN (23)
24. (22) Tim Fuller #19T-Watertown, NY (19)

“COURTESY CHEVROLET” CRATE LATE MODEL (25-laps)

1) Ty Dillon #2; 2) Ryan Gifford #29; 3) Jerry Broyles #72; 4) David Watts #6; 5) Dale Ball #2b; 6) Allen Champ #11c; 7) Greg Burchett #17; 8) Casey Roderick #9; 9) Todd Brooks #T1; 10) Joe “Dirt” Good #911; 11) Chuck Laney #91; 12) Josh Henry #B00; 13) Heath Alvey #7; 14) Travis Trent #5; 15) Jensen Ford #83; 16) Tony Trent #18; 17) Brent Hensley #70; 18) Kelly Glass #01; 19) Kenny Peeples Jr. #k22; 20) Hugh “Wishbone” Scalf #56; 21) Jesse Helton #28; 22) Weston Gantte #14; 23) Luke Laney #9; 24) James Cole #5c

Kelloggs don't forget to tell everyone. Scott Bloomquist was in b-main and failed to race his wan in. I would tell them but I am afraid if I do it will jinx me and HE will win when I go tonight. LOL

WORLD OF OUTLAWS LATE MODEL SERIES – “FIFTH ANNUAL SCORCHER” PRESENTED BY ALLTEL WIRELESS & RUSTY WALLACE TOYOTA
Showing Finishing Position, Starting Position In Parentheses, Driver Name, Car Number, Hometown, Laps Completed In Parentheses

1. (2) Shane Clanton #25-Locust Grove, GA (60)
2. (5) Brady Smith #2-Solon Springs, WI (60)
3. (4) Tim Fuller #19T-Watertown, NY (60)
4. (10) Darrell Lanigan #29-Union, KY (60)
5. (1) Chris Madden #44m-Gray Court, SC (60)
6. (15) Scott Bloomquist #0-Mooresburg, TN (60)
7. (3) Billy Ogle Jr. #201-Knoxville, TN (60)
8. (9) Tim McCreadie #39-Watertown, NY (60)
9. (14) Steve Francis #19-Ashland, KY (60)
10. (11) Eric Jacobsen #5j-Sea Cliffe Beach, CA (60)
11. (18) Chub Frank #1*-Bear Lake, PA (60)
12. (20) Clint Smith #44-Senoia, GA (60)
13. (12) Josh Richards #1-Shinnston, WV (60)
14. (16) Brandon Kinzer #18k-Allen, KY (60)
15. (17) Mark Vineyard #4v-Powell, TN (60)
16. (24) John Blankenship #23-Williamson, WV (60)
17. (23) Rick Eckert #24-York, PA (60)
18. (21) Shannon Babb #18-Mowequa, IL (60)
19. (26) Vic Coffey #32c-Leicester, NY (60)
20. (13) Rick Rogers #44r-Knoxville, TN (60)
21. (25) Ryan Newman #12-South Bend, IN (57)
22. (22) Shon Flanary #98-Mount Carmel, TN (50)
23. (19) Mark Douglas #52D-Knoxville, TN (36)
24. (7) Chad Ogle #10-Sevierville, TN (26)
25. (27) Shanon Buckingham #50-Morristown, TN (25)
26. (6) Vic Hill #1vh-Morristown, TN (20)
27. (8) Tommy Kerr #4T-Maryville, TN (3)

“COURTESY CHEVROLET” CRATE LATE MODEL (25-laps)

1) Ty Dillon #2; 2) Ryan Gifford #29; 3) Jensen Ford #83; 4) John Llewellyn #90; 5) Jerry Broyles #72; 6) Shane Roberts #k22; 7) Dale Ball #2; 8) Allen Champ #11c; 9) Greg Burchett #17; 10) Josh Henry #B00; 11) Chuck Laney #91; 12) Todd Brooks #T1; 13) David Watts #6; 14) Joe "Dirt" Good #911; 15) Casey Roderick #9; 16) James Cole #5c; 17) Heath Alvey #7; 18) Allen Carrier #57; 19) Brent Hensley #70; 20) Kenny Peeples Jr. #27; 21) Jackie Hughes #27; 22) Larry Rowe #R0; 23) Brett Wyatt #17w; 24) Travis Trent #5; 25) Kurt Owens #14; 26) John Harrell #H19

How did everybody like the Scorcher....

Any good moments?

I know Kell is happy and TK is too :D

Rumor has it, "their was lots of dust". tkj went on Thursday night.

I always find it amusing when Bloomer doesn't win at Volunteer. :D :beerbang:

Rumor has it, "their was lots of dust". tkj went on Thursday night.

That was no rumor. That was a fact. Some of it is still on my camera and in my nasal passages. Not sure if that's what set off my sinus infection. But the racing was pretty good.

That was no rumor. That was a fact. Some of it is still on my camera and in my nasal passages. Not sure if that's what set off my sinus infection. But the racing was pretty good.

MRM let me tell ya buddy. Something set off my sinus infection too. I am thinking that had alot to do with it also.:beerbang:

Back
Top Bottom