Volunteer Speedway

tkj24

Team Owner
OK guys come on show a hand count. How many Volunteer Speedway fans do we have on here? Let everyone hear us yell really LOUD.!!!!!!!!!

Volunteer Speedway is our home track. I will add, that Flipper Ford makes some great videos. tjk24 you will have to come over and watch some of them. I-81 is suppose to be opening back up.

Been going to Volunteer since it opened. I've been to at least a dozen dirt tracks in 5 states, never seen anywhere that comes close.

Hey Tn Ward fan I have been going there since it opened also.
Great Racing.
Remember the old 6 cylender class with all the old time drivers? That was the day.

It's located in Bullsgap, Tn. Exit 23 off Interstate 81. I've been going there since it first opened.

tkj24, seems like I remember you being a #47 fan. LOL

Been there a few times nice track very fast. Buzz Collins that ran there drove a car for my dad back in the 70's at Santa Fe Speedway, Hinsdale Ill. They have a few pictures of Buzz on their web site check it out he is in the PROGRAMS section.
WWW.santafespeedwaymemories.com

Yes It Is dirt judas1by the way nice nice avitar. I see you live In Delaware. Lived there my self for a while use to drag race at cecil county over in Maryland. I lived in Middletown Dl

I remember Buzz very well. He had some fugly cars (remember The Thang?), but he sure knew his way around the track.

Here's a name from the past for you guys...remember Doug Carpenter? One of the best dry track drivers I ever saw.

Brett Miller raced at Volunteer year before last.or was that two years ago. Doug Carpenter was really good. Arnold Cinnamon was my favorite, other than my Dad. Bob Street ran at Volunteer, he had a heart attack and passed in Sept. Bill Morton, Tootle Estes was just the greatest in my book. I never did like Bill Corum. Shorty Davis, Charles Byrd, Buddy Rogers, and JT. Kerr. Gosh I gonna have to go look through some of these old pictures. tjk24 would have the pictures of Buzz. :D

I,ve heard of a few of those drivers you mentioned. I was young when the Corum's were running. Melvin,Big Bill, and Little Bill. My dad was good friends with Mc. Kerr. Don't know much about Jt.Kerr. I have seen Buddy Rogers run and Tootled win up a New Port driving for Mc Kerr. In the #66 car wearing the red bandana. the reason I asked about Brett was my dad was the man that set the deal up with him and Depedable up in Chicago.

No, one of my friends sponsered Brett until he left Volunteer. I have a child that is handicapped and was not there as much when Brett was racing. Just saw him some the last year he raced. He is real nice and I have nothing against him. Dennis is real nice to. Sorry you took the post the wrong way.

No need to apoligize was just kidding you because the way you said. Doug Carpenter was really good.Really just making conversation.

I remember Doug Carpenter. I loved Little Bill Corem. He could power slide like nobody else. I remember one year they had raced somewhere and blew an engine. They come to Volunteer early went over on the hill and changed the engine and won the race. Man he was great.

Little Bill was the first driver who ever let me ride in his car when they packed the track in, a ritual which is no longer used. I was about 8 I guess. He rocked.

L.D. Ottinger was my favorite on dirt. I've seen him do things on a dirt track that I could not believe. I remember him once at Volunteer, coming out of turn two, splitting two other cars to take the lead and win the race. After the race, my dad (who built some parts for L.D.'s cars) and I were in the pits, and asked him about it. As God is my witness, his reply was, "What two cars? I led the whole damn race, didn't I?" L.D.'s eyeglasses were about an inch thick, and he swears he never saw those cars.

I also remember him "assisting" H.E. Vineyard one night. Assisting him right into the wall. It was one of the big NDRA races, and L.D. moved H.E. (too many initials!) real early. H.E. and his rather sizeable mechanic, Smitty, each stood inside turn one and threw a clod at L.D. every lap for the rest of the race. After the race, we were again in the pit area, when H.E. and Smitty came toward L.D. as he reclined on the back of his car. They were not happy people. A comment was made to L.D. to the effect of "I know karate", to which the diminutive L.D. replied with (as he reached over to his truck and grabbed one), "Yeah, and I know LEAD PIPE too."

God I miss watching him drive.

I remember L.D. too. I remember one time My Sister, My Aunt & I went to Maryville Speedway to watch him race. At Bulls Gap we were always with all the people standing up and watching the excitement. So when at Marville we did the same thing not noticing we were the only one's doing this. They then made an announcement on the PA system for everyone to please take their seats. Guess they did not know what being a race fan was all about down there???

yea I remember L D from the cow pasture on Ashville Hyw. Probly about 1959. He was awsome then and was also very young so was I. Any of you all ever go to that track?

I went to the newer Newport dirt track some, but the one I think you're talking about was long gone by my day.

We usually went to Volunteer every weekend, and sometimes went to Atomic, Davy Crockett, Newport, or Kingsport dirt tracks also. But Bulls Gap came first. :) Can't beat that place.

Do midget, sprint or silver crown cars "resemble a car that we can drive everyday"? :)

Depends on what you drive every day I guess...and I know where yer headed with this. I made the caveat of dirt late models on the thread lo these many months ago. Volunteer doesn't race sprints or midgets anyway. Late models, bombers, and UMP modifieds, which are closest to what you're talking about.

Back
Top Bottom