VW talks with NASCAR this year

DanicaFreak

2021 Big Gator winner <Green Monster>
http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/Volkswagen-looks-to-make-NASCAR-splash-111910

Updated Jun 6, 2014 3:12 PM ET

I think this needs its own thread....this kinda excites me

HOMESTEAD, Fla.
A NASCAR official confirmed the sanctioning body has a meeting scheduled with Volkswagen in January.
While Volkswagen competition representative Hans-Joachim Stuck emphatically denied any interest in American stock cars at Homestead one year ago, in a recent interview with Financial Times Deutschland the former racer discussed possibly taking the brand to Formula One and NASCAR. Reports earlier this month confirmed VW wouldn't pursue F1 after all.

Although Stuck said last year that VW needs to be in a series where the company can "display our German technology, and (NASCAR) is a marketing (platform)," perhaps the automaker's changed its tune? Or its interest in NASCAR's sports car series, Grand-Am, could be picking up again.

When VW unveiled its new assembly plant in Chattanooga, Tenn., in September, Dr. Martin Winterkorn, chairman of the board of management at Volkwagen AG, announced to 700-plus dealers from the U.S. and Canada that he aspired to take his brand “to the top of the auto industry by 2018.”

Certainly, NASCAR's “marketing (platform)" could be the perfect vehicle to accomplish that task.

VW holds the distinction of being the largest automaker in Europe. In the U.S., however, recent tallies from October show VW of America only holding a 2.1 market share of cars sold, according to the Wall Street Journal.

screenshot276inf.jpg

screenshot29di46.jpg

passatwip.png

Last edited:
As long as they don't look like that 'artists rendering', I might support it.

It sure does suck that these racecars are meant to look like front-wheel drive ****boxes that don't offer V-8 Pushrod models to the public. Except for Chevy maybe someday!

Will the engines have "zundfolge" cast into the valve covers ?.................................... Gosh I hope so :cool:

Some of you techies tell me why fox sports listed it as an update today if there's nothing new..

The article that is from 2010. The final rendering is also an old COT.

Didn't see that 'final rendering'. Lmao.

So what you're saying is Fox sports dug up an old article and said "UPDATE"..

Didn't see that 'final rendering'. Lmao.

So what you're saying is Fox sports dug up an old article and said "UPDATE"..
It was probably a site-wide update. Grand-Am doesn't exist anymore, the first look at VW's Tennessee plant was in September 2010, and the rest of the content is the exact same as in the Jayski archive.

It was probably a site-wide update. Grand-Am doesn't exist anymore, the first look at VW's Tennessee plant was in September 2010, and the rest of the content is the exact same as in the Jayski archive.

Good point. Wishful thinking/dreaming when I saw the link.

Gotdamn Sherlock Holmes over here.

Hey, if people crapped their drawers over a Japanese manufacturer, can't wait to see how the Germans are received. If they come, they had better come with the same integrity as Toyota.

VW isn't popular here because it was created by Hitler.
Not so much anymore. Japanese also own Mitsubishi, Toyota, Lexus, Scion & Yamaha bikes & boat motors. All of those have flown off American lots

I'd welcome Volkswagen.

The more manufacturers in NASCAR the better. All brands will have to step up their game thus creating better racing.

I think 5 is a good number.

Volkswagen in NASCAR just seems weird to me. Although I'd welcome them into the sport, we need more manufactures to represent.

If I had to speculate, Mazda will be the next to enter. They already compete in whatever that NASCAR Mexican series is called.
rafaelmartinez4.jpg

Hey, if people crapped their drawers over a Japanese manufacturer, can't wait to see how the Germans are received. If they come, they had better come with the same integrity as Toyota.

As long as they bring some Fräuleins to the party it will be alright.

Yeah, I thought when VW shot down the idea in 2010 they basically said they're in racing to show off their technology and a pushrod V8 isn't the way to do that? Will try to find exact quote.

Yeah, I thought when VW shot down the idea in 2010 they basically said they're in racing to show off their technology and a pushrod V8 isn't the way to do that?

How much longer do you think nascar will continue to use the antiquated technology of a push rod motor?
Nascar has now gone to FI thereby eliminating carburetors, will push rod V-8's be far behind?
I seem to recall a time when manufacturers used nascar as sort of a test bed to produce better components for their street vehicles. Now it seems they, nascar, are stifling development with "old school" thinking.

If you dont like good ol american muscle with a modern twist, dont watch nascar.

If you dont like good ol american muscle with a modern twist, dont watch nascar.

NASCAR is a multinational brand as are Ford, GM, Daimler Chrysler, Toyota, VW and the rest. Accepting that fact doesn''t mean that people don't like "good ol american muscle with a modern twist".

You said you're 21 in the how old are you thread. Now unless you have a Hemi in your garage, or a big block in a Chevelle, Mustang, you missed the "good ol' American muscle" era by 25 years.
Now, tell those of us who lived it all about it....

How much longer do you think nascar will continue to use the antiquated technology of a push rod motor?
Nascar has now gone to FI thereby eliminating carburetors, will push rod V-8's be far behind?
I seem to recall a time when manufacturers used nascar as sort of a test bed to produce better components for their street vehicles. Now it seems they, nascar, are stifling development with "old school" thinking.

I could be wrong but any extreme advancement in drivetrain technology would bump the cost of racing way up - which would further separate the power teams from the small teams that do not have the resources. Especially in the Nationwide and Trucks, if it trickled that far, where sponsorship $$$ is already tough to lock down.

I agree 100%.

I like motorcycles but never liked Harleys, despite being from Milwaukee, because aside from the V-Rod, Harley's technology is stuck in 1955. NASCAR is the same way.

When IndyCar went to the smaller V6 a few years ago, I was really pessimistic because I like big engines and fast cars, but it really has made the series more competitive, with smaller underfunded teams competing for wins that they wouldn't have even come close to five years ago. I think it's only a matter of time before NASCAR goes to a OHC V6 for parity and costs. Hell, you can't even get a V8 in the Ford Fusion or Toyota Camry.

Speaking of parity, whatever happened to NASCAR's announced horsepower reduction for 2015? Weren't they supposed to announce something at the All-Star Race? :eek::eek::eek:

I agree 100%.

I like motorcycles but never liked Harleys, despite being from Milwaukee, because aside from the V-Rod, Harley's technology is stuck in 1955. NASCAR is the same way.

When IndyCar went to the smaller V6 a few years ago, I was really pessimistic because I like big engines and fast cars, but it really has made the series more competitive, with smaller underfunded teams competing for wins that they wouldn't have even come close to five years ago. I think it's only a matter of time before NASCAR goes to a OHC V6 for parity and costs. Hell, you can't even get a V8 in the Ford Fusion or Toyota Camry.

Speaking of parity, whatever happened to NASCAR's announced horsepower reduction for 2015? Weren't they supposed to announce something at the All-Star Race? :eek::eek::eek:

I honestly hate the thought of this but maybe I am just too old school and can't accept that change is coming.

How does racing play into that anymore anyway? You don't need a racetrack to put cameras and cell phone nav systems and beepers in a car. Buyers today are more interested in a car that parks itself and gets good fuel mileage than performance. Those days are loooong gone stuffing a big motor in a light car. Today's motor technology is trying to squeeze mpg's, meet uncle sugars agenda(less taxes). The reason Italian cars were always low displacement high revving.they were taxed on their displacement. British cars..small pistons but super long stroke, taxed on piston size. U.S. it is fuel mileage and air quality so yeah you aren't going to see a bevy of new big V8's in the future, but plenty of very complicated smaller motors designed to meet those requirments...guess we can have nothing but fuel mileage races in the future. Doesn't make a tinkers dam if the motor is overhead cam or not. Talk about old technology, overhead cams have been around since the first world war.

Back
Top Bottom