Ward reflects on Bristol

H

HardScrabble

Darlington rain gives Burton
a chance to talk about Bristol
Washout sets race lineups set by points
By DAVID POOLE
The Charlotte Observer

DARLINGTON, S.C. - NASCAR is giving the drought a weekend off in South Carolina's Pee Dee region, so nothing happened Friday at Darlington Raceway to turn attention away from week-old Bristol resentments.
Qualifying for Sunday's Southern 500 was canceled because of daylong rain, putting points leader Sterling Marlin on the pole in a field set by the NASCAR rulebook. Mark Martin, Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart and Jimmie Johnson will join Marlin in the top five.

Ward Burton, who has finished second, sixth and first in the Southern 500 in the past three years, will start 29th. He'll also be trying to bounce back from a tough night at Bristol a week ago, where he finished 37th after being - at least in his mind - knocked out of the Sharpie 500 by Dale Earnhardt Jr.

The contact from Earnhardt Jr.'s Chevrolet angered Burton in that race to the point that Burton climbed from his Dodge, waited for Earnhardt Jr. to come back around the track and then hurled the heat shields from his shoes at the No. 8 Chevrolet.

Burton's actions drew a $5,000 fine from NASCAR on Thursday. By Friday, he still had some lingering feelings about it.

"We're trained in this country to seek justice," Burton said when asked about the possibility of retaliation for his or any of the other incidents that took place at Bristol. "I will be honest with you, I've thought about it. I've had time to think about it all week and that single word - justice - comes to my mind every time.

"But you all know as well as I do that if I go to seek justice on Sunday what's going to happen to the 22 car. I have to try to leave what happened last weekend in the past."

As of early Friday afternoon, Burton said he hadn't talked to Earnhardt Jr. about the Birstol matter. That's because Earnhardt Jr. hadn't called him.

"I feel it's his place to open up the dialogue," Burton said. "I will give you an example of something that happened with Dale's daddy at Talladega back three or four years ago. I instigated a big crash and it was my fault. There was like an 18- or 20-car crash. I was on the phone Sunday night to Richard Childress and I called Dale on Tuesday and acknowledged it was my fault and to see how he was doing.

"When I wrecked Johnny Benson here two years ago, I didn't mean to hit him. He and his crew chief were mad about it. I talked to them both the following week and they were still mad. I couldn't blame them. But that's the way I handled it. Dale has to handle this the way he thinks he ought to."

Burton said he deserved the fine from NASCAR because he walked up toward the racing groove to launch his heat shields. He also regrets one of the comments he made in the interviews following the incident, having said he wished he had a gun so he could "shoot" through Earnhardt Jr.'s car.

"I did say one word I shouldn't have said and I didn't mean it the way it sounded," Burton said. "It's tough right in the middle of it to handle things correctly.

"It doesn't matter whether you're a race car driver or doing anything else, the experiences that you have obviously there a lot of times you learn from them and wish you could go back and handle them differently.

"I think as much as the sport has grown in just the past couple of years, there are a lot people riding in that race car with me. It's not just the 140 guys who work on my car. It's my family, our sponsors, the media - everybody who makes this sport go on a weekly basis - is riding in that car.

You're going to see the best and the worst of our emotions come out, particularly as big as this business has got. Sometimes in the heat of battle, if you could go back and have time to reflect on it and react differently, you would. ... But I can't."

Another case of 20/20 hindsight, Ward expresses and explains it very well. And with the growth of our sport the magnifying glass just becomes bigger, I like how he put that into his perspective. Thanx HS, for unearthing more info that inquiring minds want to know.

Well, if somebody publicly said they wanted to shoot me with a gun- I don't know if I'd want to call him on the phone about it.....

"I will be honest with you, I've thought about it. I've had time to think about it all week and that single word - justice - comes to my mind every time.

"But you all know as well as I do that if I go to seek justice on Sunday what's going to happen to the 22 car.

What else needs to be said???? The man knows what he is going to do, and he also know when he is NOT going to do it.

Think what you will about Ward, and by association think what you will of me. I ain't too worried about either opinion. But if any of you thick headed Junior fans harbored any hope that your boy's shenanigans would be forgotten or might go unreturned, I say think again. We deep Southerners don't quite operate that way.

Buckle up, perfume boy.

Originally posted by DEF3
Well, if somebody publicly said they wanted to shoot me with a gun- I don't know if I'd want to call him on the phone about it.....

Moderator or not, you have no idea what you are talking about. Ward never once said the word "gun". I'll take the liberty of using what passes as Junior "logic" on you here. Ward SAID, and I quote directly, "I just wish I had something to shoot into that car." With emphasis on the word shoot. Now, since I get to twist words and facts around with Junior impugnity, I'll say that Ward was referring to a blast of Drakkar, not anything to do with firearms. Not one time did Ward specifically mention a gun.

Get your facts straight dude. This is the initial verbal jabs back at the jerk who ruined a good run for a struggling driver. The real retribution will happen in a few weeks. Taking comments out of context, and even misquoting a driver, is very unbecoming.

I guess Ward didnt mean to throw the heat shields at jr. Would you call him to say you were sorry after he was the one acting like an a$$?

Show me where he said the words gun or firearm. We shoot lots of things....basketballs, middle fingers, dirty looks, all kinds of things.

TWF, you still upset about Bristol? We all know Ward will get his retribution from Jr........in fact, being a Jr fan myself (yeah, one of the many you so eloquently toss into the pile of "boneheads"), actually look forward to the time, place and event when it will happen. It's racing, man........it's fun to anticipate what will happen next race!! Wanna bet that when it does happen, one of our elite boneheads will still be bitching about it more than a week later? I say, at least one will.:)

Back
Top Bottom