Washington "Redskins"

It's kind of weird that my favorite team is the Cleveland Indians, but I am pretty offended by the name Redskins. The Indians were reportedly name in honor of their great player Nap Lajoia(sp?) who was a Native American. My second favorite college football team, the Florida State Seminoles are named in honor of the local Seminole tribe that they are involved with to this day. I don't find those names, nor names like the Braves to be offensive in the least. But Redskins just has such a racist feel to it.

I have been a Cowboys fan since 1970, never a Redskins fan. I remember when Sonny Jorgensen/Bille Kilmer (sp) was the Redskins QBs, and Larry Brown was their RB.

They have been the Redskins for at least 75 years probably longer, if that hurts anybodies feelings then screw them. They should get a real set of problems, rather than stirring up some bull**** that isnt hurting anyone.
I hope the redskins dont give in to the lowlifes that have nothing better to worry about.

I have been a Cowboys fan since 1970, never a Redskins fan. I remember when Sonny Jorgensen/Bille Kilmer (sp) was the Redskins QBs, and Larry Brown was their RB.

They have been the Redskins for at least 75 years probably longer, if that hurts anybodies feelings then screw them. They should get a real set of problems, rather than stirring up some bull**** that isnt hurting anyone.
I hope the redskins dont give in to the lowlifes that have nothing better to worry about.

What Greg said........very well put too buddy:)

if my last name was jones......i might find a magazine named "mother jones" offensive too. ha!

Miami of Ohio's team name used to be the Redskins, but due to the PC pressure they changed their name to the Redhawks. Don't know if the D.C. football team will ever go down that road or not.

The term is blatantly offensive and is meant to be. And George Preston Marshall was a hardcore racist. The history of the franchise under Marshall is just as repulsive as the name.

At absolute best, "Redskin" is just like the n-word, a word that Native-Americans use as a term of endearment but see as offensive when someone else uses it. The only time it's an acceptable word is when we talk about a football team. It's insane that the most popular sports team in the Nation's Capitol is named the "Redskins" especially given this country's history of genocide against Native Americans - and our continued mistreatment of them.

The term is blatantly offensive and is meant to be. And George Preston Marshall was a hardcore racist. The history of the franchise under Marshall is just as repulsive as the name.

At absolute best, "Redskin" is just like the n-word, a word that Native-Americans use as a term of endearment but see as offensive when someone else uses it. The only time it's an acceptable word is when we talk about a football team. It's insane that the most popular sports team in the Nation's Capitol is named the "Redskins" especially given this country's history of genocide against Native Americans - and our continued mistreatment of them.

hogwash andy. dan snyder...... an maybe redskin fans....are only ones w/ a dog in this hunt !
by tha way....... how many redskin games have you been to ?

hogwash andy. dan snyder...... an maybe redskin fans....are only ones w/ a dog in this hunt !
by tha way....... how many redskin games have you been to ?

I've been to one Redskins game (vs. Ravens, 2004 at FedEx IIRC). Watched them on TV for years until I could finally start watching Jacksonville games. It's no secret on here the Redskins are my #2 team.

I've been to one Redskins game (vs. Ravens, 2004 at FedEx IIRC). Watched them on TV for years until I could finally start watching Jacksonville games. It's no secret on here the Redskins are my #2 team.

fine. if enuff of ya complain ta snyder.....maybe he'll change it. ?
or maybe he'll tell ya ta frack off......................like he did all these lib media idiots.
it's his team.

fine. if enuff of ya complain ta snyder.....maybe he'll change it. ?
or maybe he'll tell ya ta frack off......................like he did all these lib media idiots.
it's his team.

The whole debate (this time) started up because of discussion about the team coming back to DC. To Snottie's credit, his stadium isn't funded entirely by the taxpayers like most in the NFL. But if a move to DC does involve public funding of any kind in any way, shape or form, other people have a say.

The whole debate (this time) started up because of discussion about the team coming back to DC. To Snottie's credit, his stadium isn't funded entirely by the taxpayers like most in the NFL. But if a move to DC does involve public funding of any kind in any way, shape or form, other people have a say.

???? slate...mother jones...think progress boycot was b/c eleanor holmes ....dc....filed bill ta outlaw word in march.
just mo lib grievance crap as usual .......

This is one thing that I think majority of the American public either side with Snyder or don't care. The only people causing a stir are the lefty media outlets.

This discussions has been started up several times, not just because the team that practices in VA and plays in MD wants to move back to D.C.

A little note, I wonder how many Redskins fans realize when they buy their $9.50 beer, part of of their money is going to the company, that is responsible for the concessions and cater's the sky boxes, is partly owned by Jerry Jones...

I hate this politically correct world that has evolved over my lifetime. This ruling will probably do nothing more than fuel the fight of those that find just about everything in the world offensive but at least this is a step in the right direction IMO.

FCC says Redskins name not offensive

The Federal Communications Commission dismissed a petition Thursday to deny renewal of WWXX-FM's broadcast license because it's the flagship radio station of the NFL's Washington Redskins, whose name has come under fire by some who see it as a derogatory term for Native Americans.

The petition claimed repeated use of the word "Redskins" violates rules against indecent content.

But the FCC said that the law defines profanity as sexual or excretory in nature — meanings that don't relate to the name of the football team.

Many Native American and other groups consider "Redskins" to be a racial slur and have demanded that owner Dan Snyder change the name. Snyder has vowed to keep it, despite mounting pressure over the past two years.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2014/12/19/fcc-says-redskins-name-not-offensive/

image.jpg

The greatest generation. Gives no f**ks about liberal pc.

We salute you.:salute:

I can tell you when I was visiting a Bureau of Indian Affairs office last summer in Albuquerque, everyone there (99.9% Native Americans) loved the Redskins. They had posters all over their walls and cubicles. I guess they weren't offended by the name. I would take all the people who are so offended seriously if they had been offended twenty, thirty, forty and up to 80 years ago... .. but all of a sudden people like Bob Costas and Phil Simms refuse to say the name (of course Simms only refuses to say it when he's broadcasting their games and never had a problem saying the name when he played against them twice a year in the 80s). All that does is reek of phony, pretentious, pc BS. I can't take folks like that seriously.

I can tell you when I was visiting a Bureau of Indian Affairs office last summer in Albuquerque, everyone there (99.9% Native Americans) loved the Redskins. They had posters all over their walls and cubicles. I guess they weren't offended by the name. I would take all the people who are so offended seriously if they had been offended twenty, thirty, forty and up to 80 years ago... .. but all of a sudden people like Bob Costas and Phil Simms refuse to say the name (of course Simms only refuses to say it when he's broadcasting their games and never had a problem saying the name when he played against them twice a year in the 80s). All that does is reek of phony, pretentious, pc BS. I can't take folks like that seriously.
Perfect.

Reactions: Lin
Back
Top Bottom