Watkins Glen - Go Bowling at The Glen 8/8

StandOnIt

Farm Truck
1626834789227.png
1626834946869.png

SUNDAY, AUGUST 8TH 2021 | 3:00 PM ET​

1626835078166.png

I want to see it be the 9,5 or 5,9 show myself. Those two I believe with a bit of time in the car they are driving, could whip ass on a road course anywhere.

Carly Simon.

One of the Simon and Schuster inheritors.

sorry about that. Same thing here on some stuff.

oh ahhh I should a known that. My mom listened to Carole King a ton when I was growing up. Many memories being home sick from school as she listened to Carol King, Carly Simon and Fleetwood Mac. *update: Just listened to it and I so have heard this, ha ha this just made my day... Thanks!

oh ahhh I should a known that. My mom listened to Carole King a ton when I was growing up. Many memories being home sick from school as she listened to Carol King, Carly Simon and Fleetwood Mac. *update: Just listened to it and I so have heard this, ha ha this just made my day... Thanks!
You were raised well then :cool:

I want to see it be the 9,5 or 5,9 show myself. Those two I believe with a bit of time in the car they are driving, could whip ass on a road course anywhere.
5, 9, and 19. 1 would be my dark horse pick… as long as he keeps it on the track.

Kyle Busch is going to be in the mix too. I'd obviously bet on the 9 just because they seem to be able to do something to that car to get it thru the bus stop better than everyone else, but there's just too many variables.

Kyle Busch is going to be in the mix too. I'd obviously bet on the 9 just because they seem to be able to do something to that car to get it thru the bus stop better than everyone else, but there's just too many variables.
I'll pick the #9 at twisties until shown a reason not to. Starting position doesn't seem to be one.

Will be curious to see if Kyle can immediately bounce back momentum after getting jobbed by nascar loudon rain, they have been the strongest of the JGR bunch on road courses this year imo. Wouldn't sleep on the 11 or 20 either, Bell seems to be back on a roll and already has one in the bank with a 2nd place at Road America to back it up. Denny still looking for win #1 this season, prior winner at the Glen, seemed fast at Sonoma early before damage mid-pack.

Will be curious to see if Kyle can immediately bounce back momentum after getting jobbed by nascar loudon rain, they have been the strongest of the JGR bunch on road courses this year imo. Wouldn't sleep on the 11 or 20 either, Bell seems to be back on a roll and already has one in the bank with a 2nd place at Road America to back it up. Denny still looking for win #1 this season, prior winner at the Glen, seemed fast at Sonoma early before damage mid-pack.
Why you gotta leave out MTJ like that?

Gotta keep the car whole.

Erm, his top 10 average finish over his career vs P17 for Sonoma.
So, erm, your metric would be average finish....Wins matter too, and subjectively, I think he is better on the technical stuff which Watkins Glen is not.

So, erm, your metric would be average finish....Wins matter too, and subjectively, I think he is better on the technical stuff which Watkins Glen is not.
I mean, you can have your own opinions but you can’t have your own facts. Statistically, his performance at WG outweighs his performance at Sonoma.

WG: 1 win, 6 top 5s, 9 top 10s, and an average finish of 10.65. 0 DNFs.

S: 3 wins, 5 top 5s, 7 top 10s, and an average finish of 17.13. 3 DNFs.

You can’t just cherry pick whatever stats you want and say “this is his best track” lmao.

You do understand that wins matter and wins factor into the average finish metric, right?

I mean, you can have your own opinions but you can’t have your own facts. Statistically, his performance at WG outweighs his performance at Sonoma.

You can’t just cherry pick whatever stats you want and say “this is his best track” lmao.

You do understand that wins matter and wins factor into the average finish metric, right?
Don't know about the attitude, boss, but for some, wins are everything. More wins, top 5s and 10s are awfully close. Your average finish can get really goofy on a road course. Know what I mean?

Don't know about the attitude, boss, but for some, wins are everything. More wins, top 5s and 10s are awfully close. Your average finish can get really goofy on a road course. Know what I mean?
Nobody is saying wins don’t matter. Wins obviously matter, and they factor in to every other finishing position during a career - which is how an average finish is determined. Just because a driver has more wins at a track than another, that doesnt always make that track the better. Hell, even if you look at his stats starting in 2017/2018, he has the same (-.3) average finish at both even though he has more wins as Sonoma.

This is how math works. Mathematic results are settled and not open to interpretation.

Last edited:
Nobody is saying wins don’t matter. Wins obviously matter, and they factor in to every other finishing position during a career - which is how an average finish is determined. Just because a driver has more wins at a track than another, that doesnt always make that track the better. Hell, even if you look at his stats starting in 2017/2018, he has the same (-.3) average finish at both even though he has more wins as Sonoma.

This is how math works. Mathematic results are settled and not open to interpretation.
I hear you, and if you operationally define what a good track for a driver is as average finish, you are correct. However, those numbers can get skewed with an uncharacteristic finish...Am I right? I think that there is also the conversation about the significance of the difference between top 5s and 10s....those numbers are pretty close. Laps led can even get goofy with the stage racing we have now. No question that mathematical results cannot be argued, but the interpretation of those results is always open to discussion....unless, once again, a specific operational definition is chosen as the metric for evaluation.

However, those numbers can get skewed with an uncharacteristic finish...Am I right?
That is apart of the sport and every driver has them. They are counted. I get what you’re trying to say, but it gets into the territory of defining what “uncharacteristic” is - and that is subjective. Stats aren’t subjective.

This is like saying “well if the RB didn’t fumble, he would have scored the TD”. Nobody counts the fantasy score, and everyone points out how many fumbles a player has over a season to define their reliability.

If those were my stats, I would prefer to go to Sonoma. The overhaul average
may be better at WG but I race for wins.

If those were my stats, I would prefer to go to Sonoma. The overhaul average
may be better at WG but I race for wins.
His last 3 finishes at Sonoma are P1, P1, and P3. Last 3 at WG are P2, P2, and P1.

There’s hardly a gap in recent performance at either track. The only thing that stands out is the lack of overall consistency at Sonoma and a win there from 8 seasons ago. He’s much more consistent at Watkins Glen with running and finishing near the front.

Circling back to the original question, I’m not sure why he wouldn’t be considered a favorite to win.

Back
Top Bottom