Ways to cheat in NASCAR

A

Awesome_Bill

In an SI issue they had an article on ways that people are or can be cheating. They focused on adding weight to the car that can be dumped out onto the track,although i have never seen it happen. They also mentioned that springs/shocks can be raised with a thin wire that breaks at the first bump, lowering the car to the track and increasing speed. Also increasing fuel cell size is mentioned.
.....I guess ive got 200 to go till im a member again...but at least im still here

i read that as well very interesting. Why did you lose your posts??

Well I "spammed up the place" by posting too quickly and making senseless posts, thats what paul said.

BUt he was right...

Does anyone else remember the time Junior Johnson's car (I think it was his) was accused of having fuel in the roll bars? I think Jaws was the driver. Talk about driving on pins and needles...ka-BOOOOM!

i rember hearng about that once!!
I also rember a team i for get who i think it was the pettys or Junies car, but there shop got flooded as well as the car and some how the water got into the roll bars and they could not figure why the car was so heavy untill it got on track and watter was pooring out everywhere of the car.

It seems that the winner now days, is the person who is best at cheating...?

LOL paul...I wish BIll would become better at cheating.

Hello, I'm new here so I hope you don't mind me jumping in.

I have had this conversation lately as well. Do you think it is cheating to push the grey area of the rules of is it innovative?

Saying you wish Bill Elliot would become better at cheating is laughable. He wrote the book on how to cheat. Or at least a few chapters. It was only after NASCAR threatened some very serious reprisal (missing races or even a season) that he stopped (more or less). It was after his big wreck that he became less competitive. It's strange how hitting wrecking at high speed tends to slow you down just a bit.

Is that Sports or Speedway Illustrated? I read an article in Speedway Illustrated that was similar, but I do not think it was the same one you read.

Barely Pure---Never knew that...but i guess it was concievable that in the 80's he must have had an unfair advantage. And yeah after his wreck in 96 he was not nearly as competitive, hated to see it hapen.

i remember when DW got slapped kinda hard for having extra hose coiled up in the car to hold an extra gallon or gallon and a half of fuel:p pretty genius if you ask me

Dident they use basketballs in the gas tanks at one point in time to hold more fule in them and help build the pressure up to get more in. I think I remeber hearing about that. It was in the late 70's early 80's I beleive before my time(1986)

It's innovative if your not caught. It's called cheating if you do get caught. With the pressure to win so high, bet you couldn't find one team that hasn't tried to "bend" the rules. Wouldn't you if your job was on the line? Especially for the "mature" drivers. This might be their last year if they don't produce a good showing in the points.

If you are not cheating, you are not trying hard enough. Do you agree?

I don't think they should just out and out cheat. Bending the rules if different. Remember Jeff Burton's great Pit stop at the Winston? That was brilliant!:p I know they will have a rule next year, but that was great and if he had pulled it off all the way, the move of the year! But just to come to the track and cheat all the time, IMO, is not right. It takes a more creative person to bend the rules, but still stay within the rules! In other words anybody can cheat and then there's come who "bend" and get the same results.

Originally posted by sgbg88
I don't think they should just out and out cheat.  Bending the rules if different.  Remember Jeff Burton's great Pit stop at the Winston?  That was brilliant!:p I know they will have a rule next year, but that was great and if he had pulled it off all the way, the move of the year!  But just to come to the track and cheat all the time, IMO, is not right.  It takes a more creative person to bend the rules, but still stay within the rules!  In other words anybody can cheat and then there's come who "bend" and get the same results.

Is that anything like "depends on what the definition of is is"?

:D

Now don't go and get Clinton on me!! I just think it's ok to bend th rules a bit. My husband would be a great driver! He cheats at everything. He has to win. He would cheat at go-fish if he could. I on the other hand "bend" the rules of the game and he rarely catches me at it. I'll win and he sits there with this glazed look in his eye wondering how I did it. That's what I like to see in a race. Not the cheating, but how did he do that!! Something that seems impossible but was done!;)

Just a joke sgbg.......but, I like to see everyone "play by the rules". That way you can see who's best and still within the "fair play" limits!! Fuel milage is fair.......more than 22 gals in tank is not. Springs that crush under race conditions yet rebound when at a stand still is fair..........the wire that breaks during race is not. Traction control using finese by the driver to maintain good traction is fair.....electronics to do it is not. Play by the rules is all I'm saying. Use your technology and expertise to make the rules work for you......don't bend those rules. Anyway........I think most teams and drivers do cheat in one way or another!! I just don't like it is all:)

Rule #1

Never do card tricks for a group you want to play poker with.

I have heard them say, "If the rule book doesn't say you can't do something then it must be legal." That is the rule in all of racing. Just like Jeff Burton's pit stop at the Winston, next year it will probably not be legal, but this year it didn't say you couldn't do it. Maybe that is why they have the rule "Actions detritimental to stock car racing."

Wonder how many CC were looking at their teams and asking "Why didn't we think of that!?" I love surprises like that!
Bending the rules is a good thing.:p

I remember a few years ago the NFL fined Carmen Policy a huge amount for "Salary cap manipulation". That is what he was paid to do!!! If you are not trying to manipulate the rules, you are not doing something right, because everybody else is.

Back
Top Bottom