Ways to improve slumping ratings?

97forever

Team Owner
For Nascar's top tier series. To reverse the steady decline of the last five years.

What would you do? If the sanctioning body were to ask you and said they would consider your ideas,what would you say?

Of course, I have some opinions. This time you guys go first. Give it some thought.

:cheers:

For Nascar's top tier series. To reverse the steady decline of the last five years.

What would you do? If the sanctioning body were to ask you and said they would consider your ideas,what would you say?

Of course, I have some opinions. This time you guys go first. Give it some thought.

:cheers:

I would have to tell them that ticket prices were going to have to be lowered. Which for 2010 my Bristol Tickets were lowered about $35 per ticket for the year plus they threw in a pole day ticket and Truck ticket. That stuff will help but they might have to go even lower.

I would have to tell them that ticket prices were going to have to be lowered. Which for 2010 my Bristol Tickets were lowered about $35 per ticket for the year plus they threw in a pole day ticket and Truck ticket. That stuff will help but they might have to go even lower.

Yeah, I know Michigan dropped theirs a good bit for certain package deals too.

Yeah, I know Michigan dropped theirs a good bit for certain package deals too.

I have a couple of friends from Indiana that used to have all the race tickets from Michigan and now they dropped them all. They come down for Bristol but that's about it.

I have a couple of friends from Indiana that used to have all the race tickets from Michigan and now they dropped them all. They come down for Bristol but that's about it.

Well, Bristol is one of the best to visit. And one of the few that still manages a pretty good crowd, I think.

One thing I would like to see happen is moving the Sunday races back to an eleven o'clock or noon start time. I have been going to Michigan since they started racing there and eleven always worked out better.

Two seventeen just isn't working for me.

Pretty lame complaint.:D

Give race fans a reason to want to watch or actually attend a Cup race.

The first time I went to Martinsville, which was last spring, I paid 77 a ticket, we won tickets for this years spring race, this coming fall we are sitting in the same section we did the first time we went and now those tickets have dropped from 77 to 45 a pIece. I am very happy with that change!

It's simple, the drop in attendance is a direct sign of the economy. Has nothing to do with NASCAR. All sports are seeing a decrease in attendance. Fix the economy and you'll see an increase in attendance.

Actually, TV ratings are down even more than attendance. A stretch to tie that in to the economy.
During economic hardtimes everything can be linked to the economy.
The U.S. unemployment rate at 9.7%, the lowest since 1983. Maybe people are out collecting cans in an effort to pay the electric bill. Maybe some of the people that have lost their homes in the housing loan debacle don't have a wall to plug thier TV's into anymore. Who knows.
maybe the relevance of the thread is a stretch.

Actually, TV ratings are down even more than attendance. A stretch to tie that in to the economy.

Think about this. People are strapped and cutting corners where needed. Which would you cut first, your phone or your cable?

Think about this. People are strapped and cutting corners where needed. Which would you cut first, your phone or your cable?

A bit irrelevant as according to stats this is the 5th straight year of steadily dropping TV ratings.

So without doubt the drop began before the downturn in the economy.

2009:-11 percent down(TV) from this same point in 2008.

TV % Attendance(avg. per track)
2008 4.8 118,000
2007 4.7 120,000
2006 5.4 125,000
2005 5.8 130,000

Clearly the decline precedes the recession.

A bit irrelevant as according to stats this is the 5th straight year of steadily dropping TV ratings.

2008 4.8 118,000
2007 4.7 120,000
2006 5.4 125,000
2005 5.8 130,000

We are more plugged in as a nation then we have ever been. I can watch the race on my PDA. Does that factor into the TV ratings? I get the race stats from my phone. I actually answered several threads on this forum from my phone last Saturday while at Chicago.

Does this have anything to do with TV ratings? I would rather listen to a race called by Dave Moody on Sirius than watch a race on TV.

It kinda takes me back to my youth. :D

2008 4.8 118,000
2007 4.7 120,000
2006 5.4 125,000
2005 5.8 130,000

You are correct. The decline in Nascar viewership actually had nothing to do with the decline in economy. Hell, we were discussing the decline in Nascar 3 years ago. More important than the overall decline is the decline in hard core Nascar fans, those from the Triad area for example. When you start losing your base you had better find the cause because the Johnny-come lately types don't always stick around and they will jump to the next hot ticket.

We are more plugged in as a nation then we have ever been. I can watch the race on my PDA. Does that factor into the TV ratings? I get the race stats from my phone. I actually answered several threads on this forum from my phone last Saturday while at Chicago.

Does this have anything to do with TV ratings? I would rather listen to a race called by Dave Moody on Sirius than watch a race on TV.

(I respect you as a long time fan and a nice guy, smoke...remember that before you get pissed at me, lol.)

Now I'm sort of a low tech guy myself.

But its encouraging to know those lost TV fans have been located.

They are watching via PDA. They couldn't afford cable TV one post ago, but now they have fancy-nancy cell phones.

Ok, got it now.

(And do we no longer have a rolling eyes smilie on here?

You are correct. The decline in Nascar viewership actually had nothing to do with the decline in economy. Hell, we were discussing the decline in Nascar 3 years ago. More important than the overall decline is the decline in hard core Nascar fans, those from the Triad area for example. When you start losing your base you had better find the cause because the Johnny-come lately types don't always stick around and they will jump to the next hot ticket.

Yep, Muggle. I happen to agree. The decline has to do with alienating the traditional fan base and less true competitive content.

With all due respect to the question and reason for this thread.........I'm just thankful that each race is televised and that even our Sky TV downunder picks it up........whether anyone else watches doesn't bother me a whole lot.

Ratings are down everywhere.........look around..we're in a recession. People are losing jobs all over the place. Bills before entertainment in most households

Like that old Minute Lube ad (or some other crowd) ...."We dont want to change the world..........we just want to change your oil"

The Neilson ratings aren't a very good judge anymore. With DVRS and Tivo nowadays most cable boxes don't even have to be on to record stuff. I know I watch a good majority of the racing season threw dvr because I'm usually not home to be able to watch the race live. I don't believe that counts in the rating stats.

Well, maybe. But according to some sources the rough economy should actually provide a cheap entertainment alternative and a coresponding rise in ratings.

Baseball is one example of a sport that is dropping in attendance yet climbing in TV ratings.

If this link works, that is.
http://blog.taragana.com/e/2009/06/...as-attendance-declines-in-rough-economy-8741/
History will prove that the economy has little to do with a decline in entertainment attendance. I'll cite the following:
These needs are equally applicable to motion pictures. The validation of the theory can be done via in-depth interviews and surveys. But there exists a famous piece of macro-economic evidence. According to this article (Michelle Pautz, The Decline in Average Weekly Cinema Attendance, Issues in Political Economy, 2002, Volume 11; Adobe Acrobat pdf format), "One interesting aspect of cinema attendance is that during the Great Depression, which swept the United States in the 1930's, a higher percentage of the population went to the cinema each week than during the times of economic expansion and great prosperity the U.S. has seen since." She offers the standard explanation of this observed phenomenon: "During the Depression, cinemas provided an escape from life and the plague of problems that accompanied it in the tough time. A major function of the cinema was a source of entertainment and a way for people to forget their troubles with stories that almost always had happy endings. After all, films at the local cinema very rarely depicted the unpleasant realities about life in America during those times

Movies and Sports on TV... same-same.The main difference might be that the "Happy ending" mentioned above is slightly difference in sports entertainment.

Races recorded on DVR then watched dont go into the base ratings either, correct?

Races recorded on DVR then watched dont go into the base ratings either, correct?

A valid question, and I personally have no idea. But I would really think so. Its still being 'viewed' just not presently.

But honestly, that's just speculation on my part.

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/06/1...iewing-from-dvrs-did-that-save-the-show/21052

Definitions:

DVR (Time-shifted) Viewing – Program ratings for national sources are produced in three streams of data –Live, Live+Same Day (Live+SD) and Live+7 Day. Time shifted figures account for incremental viewing that takes place with DVRs which are currently in approximately 24.4% of all U.S. TV households. Live+Same Day(Live+SD) include viewing during the same broadcast day as the original telecast, with a cut-off of 3:00AM local time when meters transmit daily viewing to Nielsen for processing. Live+7 Day ratings include incremental viewing that takes place during the 7 days following a telecast.

Same Day DVR Viewers - How many people watched the show on their DVRs prior to 3AM the day following the airdate,

DVR Viewers - How many people watched the show on their DVRs within 7 days following the airdate

% of All Viewing By DVR - Of the total viewing of that particular episode, what percentage was done via DVR.

% of DVR Viewing On Airdate - Of the DVR viewing of that particular episode, what percentage was done prior to 3AM the day following the airdate.

Nielsen TV Ratings Data:©2009 The Nielsen Company. All Rights Reserved.

Ok, so now we can't even agree on if Ratings/attendance are even down?

Undamnedbelievable.

Ok, here are Nascars own words. FROM WELL BEFORE THE ECONOMIC DOWNTURN:

Nascar admits stagnant phase april 4, 2007

TV ratings are down for Nextel Cup races, International Speedway Corp., pulled the plug on its proposed track in Washington state and empty seats have been visible at some race this season.

Has NASCAR fallen off?

"All sports have growth spurts and reach plateaus at various times," said John Saunders, ISC's executive vice president and chief operating officer. "NASCAR is not unique. What is unique is that this is NASCAR's first time."

Saunders spoke on a conference call Tuesday with investor analysts as company officials discussed first-quarter earnings. ISC, run by the France family that also runs NASCAR, operates 12 tracks that host 19 Cup races, including at Daytona, Martinsville, Richmond, California and Phoenix.

Monday night, ISC announced it dropped plans to build a $368 million race track near Bremerton, Wash., after legislators planned changes to a financing package.

Saunders called the changes, which he did not reveal, "unacceptable to ISC" and that those changes would have "a significant negative impact on the project's financial model."

Said ISC President Lesa France Kennedy in a statement: "Any decision to execute on growth opportunities is guided by the fundamental principal of building long-term value for our shareholders."

ISC officials say they remain interested in building a track in the Northwest and would still consider Washington.

ISC officials also are studying the feasibility of a race track in Denver but that track, if ever developed, wouldn't be ready until 2012. ISC ended its attempts to build a track on Staten Island in December, although it remains interested in that area.

With no new track ready to be built soon, ISC officials said on the conference call they had no plans to move a Cup race from one track to another.

Saunders also said TV ratings for Cup races are down about 14 percent from this time last year. He said Busch TV ratings are down about 9 percent and truck ratings are up about 3 percent.

Saunders said most of the drop in Cup ratings came with the Daytona 500. Last year's Daytona ratings were artificially boosted, Saunders said, by the Winter Olympics, which preceded the race. Ratings also were down for the California and Bristol races.

Three Cup races have been held at ISC tracks so far this season. The Daytona 500, which holds 168,000 seats, sold out. California Speedway did not sell out its 92,000 seats, but Saunders reported that the grandstand attendance was up an unspecified amount from last year's race. Last weekend's Martinsville race, Saunders said, was a near sellout.

Despite these examples, Saunders said, "we think the industry outlook is bright,'' noting this is the first year of the eight-year TV package that pays NASCAR about $4.5 billion, the return of ESPN to broadcasting races and diversity initiatives to attract new fans, particularly the Hispanic audience.

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/racing/wb/111667

Now, lets move forward two years.

STILL down. This time, they point to the economy, rain shortened Daytona 500 and Dale Jr as potential reasons.

Nascar seen fretting over ratings drop may 18th 2009

According to Nielsen, ratings for NASCAR on Fox are down by an alarming 11.5% so far this year, and while we're sure that many NASCAR haters will suggest that it's just not that interesting watching non-stock "stock cars" turning left over and over again as they circle oval tracks, race organizers and TV ratings researchers believe there's much more to the decline in viewership than that.

Certainly, the sorry state of affairs surrounding the world's sagging economy doesn't help matters any, and neither did the rain that forced an early end to the Daytona 500, the sport's pivotal first race of the season. Paul Brooks, president of NASCAR Media Group, also points a finger in the direction of Dale Earnhardt Jr, who's second season as part of Hendrick Motorsports isn't exactly going as hoped.

Regardless of its downward ratings trend in '09, it seems most experts on the subject predict the NASCAR brand will pull through over the long haul, although it will be interesting to see if/how the auto industry crisis affects the cash-intensive motorsports series. In the meantime, NASCAR and Fox are reportedly "looking at every angle" to boost viewership in the short term.

http://www.autoblog.com/tag/nascar+ratings/

So lets please consider all of this.

Yes, ratings are really down.Its not opinion, its fact.

And yes, the economy is only playing a secondary role in that fact since the drop unquestionably begin well before the economic downturn. The recession is incidental to the downturn. It isn't helping but it is NOT causing it.

And DVR recordings are only accounting for a fraction of the downturn or else NASCAR as an entity would not be so concerned.

Now unless someone can dispute documented TV ratings, documented negative attendance and Nascar's own very real admission that they are in a downward spiral I think we should all at LEAST be able to agree on that.

If we can't then we as fans deserve what we get.

So lets please consider all of this.

Yes, ratings are really down.Its not opinion, its fact.

And yes, the economy is only playing a secondary role in that fact since the drop unquestionably begin well before the economic downturn. The recession is incidental to the downturn. It isn't helping but it is NOT causing it.

And DVR recordings are only accounting for a fraction of the downturn or else NASCAR as an entity would not be so concerned.

Now unless someone can dispute documented TV ratings, documented negative attendance and Nascar's own very real admission that they are in a downward spiral I think we should all at LEAST be able to agree on that.

If we can't then we as fans deserve what we get.

So all this matters because .....? why ?

Ok, so now we can't even agree on if Ratings/attendance are even down?

Undamnedbelievable.

Ok, here are Nascars own words. FROM WELL BEFORE THE ECONOMIC DOWNTURN:

Nascar admits stagnant phase april 4, 2007

TV ratings are down for Nextel Cup races, International Speedway Corp., pulled the plug on its proposed track in Washington state and empty seats have been visible at some race this season.

Has NASCAR fallen off?

"All sports have growth spurts and reach plateaus at various times," said John Saunders, ISC's executive vice president and chief operating officer. "NASCAR is not unique. What is unique is that this is NASCAR's first time."

Saunders spoke on a conference call Tuesday with investor analysts as company officials discussed first-quarter earnings. ISC, run by the France family that also runs NASCAR, operates 12 tracks that host 19 Cup races, including at Daytona, Martinsville, Richmond, California and Phoenix.

Monday night, ISC announced it dropped plans to build a $368 million race track near Bremerton, Wash., after legislators planned changes to a financing package.

Saunders called the changes, which he did not reveal, "unacceptable to ISC" and that those changes would have "a significant negative impact on the project's financial model."

Said ISC President Lesa France Kennedy in a statement: "Any decision to execute on growth opportunities is guided by the fundamental principal of building long-term value for our shareholders."

ISC officials say they remain interested in building a track in the Northwest and would still consider Washington.

ISC officials also are studying the feasibility of a race track in Denver but that track, if ever developed, wouldn't be ready until 2012. ISC ended its attempts to build a track on Staten Island in December, although it remains interested in that area.

With no new track ready to be built soon, ISC officials said on the conference call they had no plans to move a Cup race from one track to another.

Saunders also said TV ratings for Cup races are down about 14 percent from this time last year. He said Busch TV ratings are down about 9 percent and truck ratings are up about 3 percent.

Saunders said most of the drop in Cup ratings came with the Daytona 500. Last year's Daytona ratings were artificially boosted, Saunders said, by the Winter Olympics, which preceded the race. Ratings also were down for the California and Bristol races.

Three Cup races have been held at ISC tracks so far this season. The Daytona 500, which holds 168,000 seats, sold out. California Speedway did not sell out its 92,000 seats, but Saunders reported that the grandstand attendance was up an unspecified amount from last year's race. Last weekend's Martinsville race, Saunders said, was a near sellout.

Despite these examples, Saunders said, "we think the industry outlook is bright,'' noting this is the first year of the eight-year TV package that pays NASCAR about $4.5 billion, the return of ESPN to broadcasting races and diversity initiatives to attract new fans, particularly the Hispanic audience.

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/racing/wb/111667

Does this keep you up at night? I hope not coz Nascar will be here long after you and I have gone :rolleyes:

Did anyone happen to catch the special on CNBC last night about this very topic? I only saw a little of it, but it was talking about the down turn of NASCAR as far as TV Ratings and Attendance. I think the show as called "Refueling NASCAR" or something like that.

Without a doubt ratings are down, but it would be hard to pick one thing that is causing it. I have a few ideas though:

1. The Economy. As many have already stated, bills come before entertainment. I know several people who don't have cable. Heck, my next door neighbor is a big NASCAR fan but can only afford the cable package that does not give him ESPN or TNT. The only channels he can watch a race on are Fox and ABC.

2. Losing interest. Sometimes there doesn't have to be a reason people stop watching, it could simply be that they are busy doing something else and don't find it very important. I know people who stopped watching after the death of Dale Earnhardt. In that same aspect, I would suspect there are people who do not watch just because their driver doesn't do well, i.e. Dale Jr.

The bottom line here is I don't know what you can do to fix the problem. I think lowering ticket costs will (and has already) helped with attendance. But as far as TV goes, people will watch what they want to watch...period.

I, like thousands of other race fans, don't watch the Saturday Night races. I DVR them instead and go to my local tracks.:growl:

Did anyone happen to catch the special on CNBC last night about this very topic? I only saw a little of it, but it was talking about the down turn of NASCAR as far as TV Ratings and Attendance. I think the show as called "Refueling NASCAR" or something like that.

Without a doubt ratings are down, but it would be hard to pick one thing that is causing it. I have a few ideas though:

1. The Economy. As many have already stated, bills come before entertainment. I know several people who don't have cable. Heck, my next door neighbor is a big NASCAR fan but can only afford the cable package that does not give him ESPN or TNT. The only channels he can watch a race on are Fox and ABC.

2. Losing interest. Sometimes there doesn't have to be a reason people stop watching, it could simply be that they are busy doing something else and don't find it very important. I know people who stopped watching after the death of Dale Earnhardt. In that same aspect, I would suspect there are people who do not watch just because their driver doesn't do well, i.e. Dale Jr.

The bottom line here is I don't know what you can do to fix the problem. I think lowering ticket costs will (and has already) helped with attendance. But as far as TV goes, people will watch what they want to watch...period.

Is this the one?

http://www.cnbc.com/id/31410502/

Yes, that show on CNBC was extremely interesting. Especially the segment on Tony.

I don't think there's any one single reason for ratings and attendence to be declining. I think the cut away car is the stupidest thing the networks could do along with the endless rambling over clean v dirty air.

If you want to educate new fans explain how a turn or two of wedge in or out of the right rear differs from a turn or two in or out of the left, how a track bar adjustment changes the roll center, how a change in air pressure effectively changes spring rate and how that relates to changes in handling.

I'm a t-shirt dirt under my nails guy. Give me the rules, bore and stroke with a max of 358 ci. If I show up at the track and get dyno'd don't penalize me because I'm putting out more hp than my competitors. It's their job to do the homework too.

Na$car should not implement rules in the interest of "parity". If your car isn't equal,,work harder.

Yes the economy does come into play, check out what a place to stay costs today then see what it is during speedweeks in Daytona. If not for a friend who lives in Stewart or one of the guys who has a sister that writes for a travel mag and can get us a condo we couldn't afford to go down.

ok, i'll bite.......lol

I think the downturn in NASCAR has MANY different reasons..... and can't really be pinned down to one or two factors. Several have touched on a few, but since I have soooo much influence with Brian, and the board at NASCAR Imma say my lil bit now......lmao.
First off, I think Dale Sr's death is still bein felt. When he died, he left a big hole in the sport... Fans of his (some) just gave up, and lost interest....... some turned to Jr, and now with his lack of performance, they are fallin away..... Just his presence not bein there, is missed. people who werent fans of his still watched, just to see what he would do or say.
Secondly, loss of drivers, and/or loss of results from drivers....... What I mean by this, is alot of the old guard have lost their driver...... Earnhardt died, Rusty retired, Bobby Labonte next to non-exisistant, DJ retired, Elliot retired, then un retired, still non factor..... Schrader gone, Rudd gone, Look at a pic from the starting field of any race from say 8-10 years ago ( while NASCAR was still growing and enjoyin sucess) and you will see that over half of those drivers are no longer in cup. I myself fall into this catogory..... Over the past few years when MArk was runnin a limited schedule, I watched alot fewer races, even at times missed them......now he is running again, i rarely miss one, but in a couple of years, I don't know that I will watch anymore when he does retire. To me, as an old school fan, there are no drivers that appeal to me to get behind and root for. Which brings me to
Thirdly, bland drivers. The media is just as much responsible for this as NASCAR I think. Back in the day, when they talked about drivers, it was how tough Cale was, how intimidatin Dale was, How hard chargin Buddy was...... etc. These guys were portrayed as Supermen........ now we have Kyle Bush, sorry the media makes him come across whiny, Kasey..... he's soooo cute. Jimmy Johnson, a nice guy...... I mean come on. The only one that has a hint of old schoolness to him is Tony Stewart, and NASCAR and Gibbs really toned him down. give us flavor back!
Tracks..... look at the schedule now vs 8-10 years ago..... Sorry but alot of teh tracks out west arent cuttin it. But the tracks that were are gone...... fewer and fewer short tracks and tracks with personality and more of teh same ole same ole........
Money has also screwed up the sport..... it costs too much to be involed in racing period. Look at the local level on up. Rules get outta hand, prices skyrocket, chokin out the lil guys...... reducing the amount of competive cars, and now to the casual fan, and to alot of true fans, it's frustratin..... we get tired of hearin of HMS and Gibbs.
No rivalries...... it used to be Allison vs Petty, then Waltrip, Earnhardt vs Gordon or Wallace, Jr vs Kennseth, etc...... now who is everyone talkin about??? Kyle vs everybody??? But Kyle is not winning fans, nor his he (imo) helpin the sport. He is more showin that these drivers are arrogant, spoiled, prima donna's.
Oversataturation...... NASCAR is everywhere... why spend the entire afternoon watchin a race, when ya can go online and see highlites, or watch any of 30 different shows during the week.....
Finally, the fan base...... alot of the growth was from the people who thought is was "hip and fresh".... Jeff Gordon brought alot of this back in the mid 90's..... He was young, good lookin and very well spoken. It is hard to believe now how he stood out as different back then, as all the drivers are now modeled after him. He brought in the likes of Brittany Spears, and such.... now don't get me wrong, he also brought in real fans that are still around, but he made NASCAR mainstream..... and many of those have now decided that NASCAR is cool anymore.... they want somethin else...... or have moved on. Now we are left with 30-40 Gordon clones....... In the meantime, you have prety much alienated the hard core fans..... moved them out for the corporate fans, the newbies.... they have talked down to us, they have reserved the best seats for them, and have taken away the redneck, white socks and blue ribbon beer feel of the races and replaeced it with concerts by bands that we don't know or could care less about, put in wine and chicken cordon blue. Think about, would you prefer to go to a race at California, see Buckcherry do a concert, then hear the grand marshall, Johhny Dep talk about his latest movie, then see a race, or go to North Wilksboro, see Charlie Daniels, then hear grand marshall Jr Johnson talk about moonshine and revenuers???? easy choice for me............
No connection with makes...... ALL the CARS LOOK THE SAME. now I'm not niave enough to think that Stock Cars were EVER stock cars.... but now, you are racing cars that don't exist, with motors no one can have,and using aftermarket part we'll never own. Ok, so maby we can go to NAPA and buy an Interstate battery....lol
Lastly, and I think this affects a small portion, but it is the hard core fans.... the ones who really love and understand the sport..... The lack of variety in setups... back in the day, it was fun to see who was running a front steer vs a rear steer chassis..... who ran what in rear end camber..... who ran what gears, to be able to look at the cars and SEE who was doin somethin a lil different, be it body-wise, be it suspension wise, etc. NASCAR has mandated rules to a point now that they may as well build 43 cars, draw straws and assign the cars to drivers......
I guess what I'm sayin is we want what we can't have...... I want back the redneck, backwoods feel, with the hard chargin, hell for leather daredevil drivers, racing on historic, mean, tough tracks, drivin ill handling, hard to contain, recognizable cars........ but...... I guess those days are gone....

Back
Top Bottom