Well, looks like they're doing it...

F

followthe18

Also from Jayski's:

As expected, earlier this week a NASCAR bulletin informed teams that the teams would have to equip their cars with 13-gallon fuel tanks for the October race at Talladega Superspeedway. The tanks normally hold 22 gallons, and officials apparently think more pit stops – they will seem to be happening constantly — will allow the field to string itself out and lessen the potential for crashes. One question: Why not save the teams some expense and force them to put only one can of fuel, not two, in during stops?

that would be a good idea but maybe a team would sneak and have a tiny bit larger fuel gas can this way no one can cheat --this will change tire strategy also maybe more will take 2 and no tires since they put less fule in now.

Thought follow18 was watching the Tommy Lee/Pamela Anderson video there for a second from that headline...

Thanks TN Ward Fan, just sprayed my club soda all over my computer! :lol2:

Great now they will be lined up all around the track,Gonna look like the line at the Mac Donalds at lunch time.There won't be any room to send someone to the back of the pack.:p

That's gonna suck. NASCAR needs to come up with something better than that.:mad:

Good stuff Ward fan. That is kind of an interesting thread heading...

With a 13 gallon tank how many laps do we guess they can run before fueling? I'm thinking about 25 to 30. That would mean 6 or 7 pit stops at least just for fuel.

Unless Goodyear changes the tires before 'Dega, which is almost assuredly not going to happen, the teams would require tires on only every second stop at most. Figure it'll take about 8 to 10 seconds for a fuel only stop, and though that's not very long a car coming in by itself will certainly lose the draft of the main pack.

That means 2, 3 , or more cars are gonna get together and pit at the same time under green flag stops. Who you can get to team with ya is gonna be real important in those situations.

It'll be something to watch, but I don't see it as a solution to breaking the freight trains.

In taking in what you are saying Scrabble,I would think Roush,Hendriks,and RCR should have a bit of an advantage.

You have got to be kidding!!!! This is the best that Nascar can up with to solve the Superspeedway problems?!! If everyone pits together anyhow how is going to help? It just doubles the chance of someone getting hurt in the pits. Nascar has really outdone themselves this time. What a bunch of morons!! Has anyone seen any drivers comments on this? Oh wait, the drivers will agree, don't want to piss off big daddy Nascar ya know!:mad:

1 wreck if we're lucky...Just think what is going to do the cars set-ups I expect to see some teams having trouble with that also. Course the 1 wreck will probably take out half the feild anyhow....good thing there is only half as much fuel to burn...idiots!

Originally posted by pbunch
In taking in what you are saying Scrabble,I would think Roush,Hendriks,and RCR should have a bit of an advantage.

Yep pbunch,

And ya might add DEI to that list as well. Mikey and Jr can hook up together as we all know and probably run down the pack with just the two of them.

Plus at Daytona the DEI cars were getting outstanding fuel mileage, as does Roush. From that standpoint the Dodges may be in trouble as their mileage this year is poor.

I'm sorry, :bs:
How is this going to help ANYTHING?????? except killer wrecks

Dump plates, PLEASE!!!!!

Ditch 1 at dega, 1 at daytona, add 2 road races. or 1 street and 1 dirt.

All these gyrations when the answer is so simple --- well, maybe not that simple because it would mean spending money and perhaps giving up a race date.

Just lower the banking a few degrees --- the cars cannot run wide open --- no plates needed.

I wonder if somebody is gonna sacrafice horsepower in exchange for incredible fuel mileage and try and make less pitstops than others. Its gonna be interesting.

Originally posted by TexasRaceLady
All these gyrations when the answer is so simple --- well, maybe not that simple because it would mean spending money and perhaps giving up a race date.

Just lower the banking a few degrees --- the cars cannot run wide open --- no plates needed.

TRL, YOU ARE A GENIUS:) :) :D :D

Why don't you get a consulting job with Nascar, and I AM NOT KIDDING

What difference does it make if the pit window is for 25 laps or 50 laps? If they run 22 gallon tanks or 13 gallon tanks? Everyone will still have to pit the same time....

More pit stops, more opportunity for green flag commercials.

We'll need racecast to keep up 'cause the NBC crew won't be able to.

Originally posted by Alaska
More pit stops, more opportunity for green flag commercials.  

We'll need racecast to keep up 'cause the NBC crew won't be able to.

I WANT MY ESPN.

Too bad it has become Na$ca$h.

You have got to be kidding!!!! This is the best that Nascar can up with to solve the Superspeedway problems?!! If everyone pits together anyhow how is going to help? It just doubles the chance of someone getting hurt in the pits.

I agree 100%. This is the dumbest move I've heard.

Ditch 1 at dega, 1 at daytona, add 2 road races

Exactly. Plate races are the worst by far IMO.

Mebbe one of France's or somebody's affiliates has about 50 or 60 13 gallon fuel cells he needs to sell off.

Yep here we go again. No need to race on the track boys, you only need to win the race in the pits. Follow the leader until it's time to pit, only way some can get an advantage and make up positions. Mikey and Jr. are about the only two out there that draft together. The rest of them are fighting each other to catch Mikey or Jr. More and more tends to fall on pit stops, flags and the occassional NASCAR scratching their heads wondering which penalty to throw. Have you ever noticed how sometimes they throw a caution for a driver blowing a tire and other times they don't. I was keeping a record of all this at one time, there have been quite a few cautions brought out that tends to lead one to believe that NASCAR likes to bunch them up. They feel the fans like to see that excitement. I like to see racing, not a staged regrouping. You can hear it in the announcers voices, oh boy here we go, 2 wide, 3 wide, wow that was close. I love to watch racing, but with all this staged interference from NASCAR it really does boil down to watching a pit road race.

Well, it's different. That's for sure.

One thing I see is a whole lot of really fast cars with desperate drivers at the wheel re-starting in the inside lane or at the back of the pack after every caution. Not to mention what a wreck fest it's going to be on the front straight as drivers coming off turn four for all they are worth in an effort to get their laps back slam thru the back of the cars in their way.

So now we've got folks fighting to stay on the lead lap AND fast cars in the back fighting to get back up to the leaders. Early patience my ask. Those cars that get a lap down early are in for a very long day.

And no doubt in my mind at all that unless the flagman doesn't have a favorite that the car with the best mileage wins.

All these points being made are valid. I can't disagree with any of them. I just would like to add a friendly reminder for some, and maybe some new info for more recent fans to this fire.

We have Waltrip to thank for all this. His constant whining and crying about not beiong able to keep up with Bill Elliott is the reason we have to suffer through 4 plate races a year. He and Junior Johnson had NASCAR's ear (get lost Gary Nelson) and throught their constant barrage of sniveling, crying, moaning, and bitching, they got what they wanted. Not a faster race car, but a slower Ford. Oh, the Bobby Allison in the fence episode is what they point to, but the plates were coming before that happened. Anyone who was a fan at that time, and will be honest, knows I am right about this.

So, the next time you watch a plate race and the accompanying 29 car wreck that ruins the race, the next time you get frustrated with stay-in-line racing, just thank your ol' pal DW. Boogity boogity boogity my sweet ass, you moron.

Saw an article where NASCAR is denying this rumor. Based on the lack of conversation from the teams and drivers, I tend to believe that no official word has been released.

Mayhaps it is being contemplated or discussed with some teams. And one report says they had a prototype fuel cell at Pocono, but it isn't a done deal.

yea, I saw something about the 13 gal thing being "not true" also.

And I was a fan prior to plates. Back when Grand National/Cup was where the big boys met to see who had the biggest......
Back when the Sportsman series was for sportsmen.

Gone are the days of the Great American Race. Gone are the days when ingenuity and guts was what got ya to the front.

Replaced by the Great American Wreckfest......sigh

Back
Top Bottom