"What are you reading" thread

Joker

#1 Harvick Fan
I'm about two-thirds of the way through Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson. For a book written in 1992, it's disturbingly on point with some of its predictions. People being jacked into what's essentially a hybrid of social media and video games to the point where it's hard to distinguish it from reality? Check. Rapid inflation leading people to turn to what's essentially cryptocurrency? Yep. Gangs like the Crips and the Mafia becoming corporatized? You bet. Political radicalization and balkanization leading to mass immigration crises? Of course.

Also the narration is funny as ****.

I am reading this....

Screenshot_20200613-081234_Chrome.jpg

I currently have 2 books going ---
Elizabeth's Rival --- about Lettice Knollys --- she married Elizabeth I's favorite boyfriend
The Lost Tudor Princess --- about Margaret Lennox, the mother of the man who married Mary, Queen of Scots

Both of these women were strong, determined to do things their way. Both were "helicopter moms" who mothered their
sons excessively. Both of those sons lives ended very badly -- one was strangled, one was beheaded.

I currently have 2 books going ---
Elizabeth's Rival --- about Lettice Knollys --- she married Elizabeth I's favorite boyfriend
The Lost Tudor Princess --- about Margaret Lennox, the mother of the man who married Mary, Queen of Scots

Both of these women were strong, determined to do things their way. Both were "helicopter moms" who mothered their
sons excessively. Both of those sons lives ended very badly -- one was strangled, one was beheaded.

But Disney told me being royalty was fun :huh:

I just finished reading Sully by Chesley Sullenberger, the guy who landed the plane in the Hudson River in 2009 without any loss of life.

Interestingly, unlike the movie with Tom Hanks, the book doesn't go into all of the grief he went through afterwards in defending his decision not to try to make it to a nearby airport.

"Cold Harbour" by Jack Higgins, set in WW2. About the Americans and the Britts and the story about their "dirty tricks" department using captured German boats, planes etc. Cold Harbour is the place in England that was their headquarters where only German is spoken while wearing German uniforms.

"Cold Harbour" by Jack Higgins, set in WW2. About the Americans and the Britts and the story about their "dirty tricks" department using captured German boats, planes etc. Cold Harbour is the place in England that was their headquarters where only German is spoken while wearing German uniforms.

I'm no military historian, but from what I know our modern conception of special operations originated in WW2, yeah?

1592500240353.png

Found a copy of this Open Wheel Magazine issue from 1987 that I didn't have. I've been searching out the issues of racing magazines that I missed getting when they were current, and it's interesting to read about what was going on back in the day while knowing how they ended up. But don't worry, I won't bother anybody with any summaries or comments.

I just got done reading a book called “The Wax Pack” that was really interesting. It’s about a guy who discovers an unopened pack of 1986 baseball cards while going through some of his old stuff, then decides to go on a cross-country trip to track down and interview all the players in the pack and see what they’re up to today.

I just got done reading a book called “The Wax Pack” that was really interesting. It’s about a guy who discovers an unopened pack of 1986 baseball cards while going through some of his old stuff, then decides to go on a cross-country trip to track down and interview all the players in the pack and see what they’re up to today.

That actually sounds really interesting. Is it a short book?

Back
Top Bottom