What car do you miss?

Go Panthers

We are the people our parents warned us about
A buddy and I were talking about the good ole days earlier and we got to talking about the cars we miss seeing on the track on Sundays.

Without question I miss that black #3, but that obvious. A number of years ago when I was in high school I was lucky enough to work for Rudd Performance Motorsports for about a year or so. I handled the shipping and receiving for the souvenir side of the business, which was located in the shop area of RPM.

Because of that, I miss that #10 Tide ride, I was working for Rudd the year he won the Brickyard, what a great time that was.

I miss the old #18 Chevy with the Interstate Batteries scheme on it.

One of my favorites was Kyle Petty's Hot Wheels car, especially the one from '97 with the darker blue. I also liked the Buick Regals from the early and mid 80's.

P9140001_0425th.jpg

Of course I miss the Black Car and Driver thats a given.

The one other car I truely miss seeing is the Morgan/McClure Kodak #4. We lost the Morgam/McClure team Kodak's on the ropes and Sterlin's retired, pretty much.
Man there where several years that that combination was a yellar missile on the SuperSpeedways. Probably one of my most memorable races was the 96 Daytona 4th July race, it was a cloudy overcast day with storms moving in and that #4 car looked like Pac-Man shooting thru traffic, Spectacular incoming rain caused everyone to drive like &#% to get to the front Damn I wish I still had it on tape :(

94McDonalds1995refa-vi.jpg

Maybe not the most successful team he ever ran with but always liked his early McDonalds paint scheme.

This one and the black #3 and the white and green 88 Drive the truck dale!

f_ccoxk41nvjfm_a6d9f58.jpg

The #3 first and foremost, (and it won't be the same with Dillon driving it) but I miss the Bill Davis 22 Catapillar too.

Of course I miss the Black Car and Driver thats a given.

The one other car I truely miss seeing is the Morgan/McClure Kodak #4. We lost the Morgam/McClure team Kodak's on the ropes and Sterlin's retired, pretty much.
Man there where several years that that combination was a yellar missile on the SuperSpeedways. Probably one of my most memorable races was the 96 Daytona 4th July race, it was a cloudy overcast day with storms moving in and that #4 car looked like Pac-Man shooting thru traffic, Spectacular incoming rain caused everyone to drive like &#% to get to the front Damn I wish I still had it on tape :(

I was there at that Daytona race, I think Gordo pulled that out in a one lap dash(Before they had G/W/C finishes) ahead of Sterlin and Ironhead. I was so pissed I sat thru that hot Florida July Sun to watch Earnhardt get beat. I saw several Superspeedway races with that 4 car in it. Besides that car flying like a rocket around the track, that engines had a wicked Indy car like sound it made. It was such a odd sound, you could hear in a pack of cars.

I miss both of the Skoal cars. 33 and the 1.

-The # 71 K& K Dodge driven by Bobby Isaac, crew chief by Harry Hyde

-Jack Ingrams brown paper bag colored # 11

-Sam Ard in the Thomas brothers country ham # double 00.

-My avatar Butch Lindley in an older Nova with the same scheme. I loved them LMS Novas.

-An old local boy who ran an old Chevy II, it squatted on the big tires and looked as modified as did a LMS, like a skateboard
Those were the days, running low 21s on the flat GPS in the mid 70s, probably on leaf springs.
Rest in peace Jerry Hughes # 17, you have not been forgotten.

More later..

I was there at that Daytona race, I think Gordo pulled that out in a one lap dash(Before they had G/W/C finishes) ahead of Sterlin and Ironhead. I was so pissed I sat thru that hot Florida July Sun to watch Earnhardt get beat. I saw several Superspeedway races with that 4 car in it. Besides that car flying like a rocket around the track, that engines had a wicked Indy car like sound it made. It was such a odd sound, you could hear in a pack of cars.

The one I'm thinking of Sterlin Won, Sterlin led almost the entire first half had an ignition box fail dropped waaay back cause he thought the motor had blown. He switched boxes then charged up thru the feild and made it to the lead just before the rain showed up, race was red flagged for rain 10-20 laps short of the finish. Everyone raced like hell cause they knew the rain was coming it was a heck of a race!
Glover had an unusual design exhaust system with a combination X tube/Balance tube in it and the car sounded completely different than the other cars of the day, now everyone runs a similar type exhaust.

The one I'm thinking of Sterlin Won, Sterlin led almost the entire first half had an ignition box fail dropped waaay back cause he thought the motor had blown. He switched boxes then charged up thru the feild and made it to the lead just before the rain showed up, race was red flagged for rain 10-20 laps short of the finish. Everyone raced like hell cause they knew the rain was coming it was a heck of a race!
Glover had an unusual design exhaust system with a combination X tube/Balance tube in it and the car sounded completely different than the other cars of the day, now everyone runs a similar type exhaust.

Speaking of Sterling, do you remember the 500 when he got out of his car under the red flag, on the back stretch, and attempted to fix his fender? I think that was the one that Ward won.

Speaking of Sterling, do you remember the 500 when he got out of his car under the red flag, on the back stretch, and attempted to fix his fender? I think that was the one that Ward won.

marlin_ap.jpg

What a wild race that was. I believe he got damage after sending Gordon into the grass.

That was funny as heck. We were all sitting there wondering what the heck he was doing getting out of that car.

I remember watching that. I was like he's not really gonna do that is he? Then when the official came up to him he was like what I didn't do anything.

I probably didn't look hard enough but I couldn't find the video of that. In other words that is a challenge for someone out there. Translation: I'm too lazy today!

I love listening to benny parsons with wally d.

Me too. A couple things cool and not so cool about watching those two videos. I sure miss Benny. I miss those red/white Winston Cup uniforms and logo. Yellow line rule still sucks as it's too open to interpretation. No Digger, I like that. Full grandstands. No Tandem Racing. Total confusion in the booth after the rules infraction. Single file restarts. Only five of those top 10 are still racing in Cup on a consistent basis. And, I swear I saw Brian France in the 'Race Control' room mouth the words, 'Black Flag Mayfield'! No, really. Too many more things to mention. That was cool! Thanks.

I can't beleive yall brought up the whole "Repair under Red" thing, damn what a stupid move :sad:

I can't beleive yall brought up the whole "Repair under Red" thing, damn what a stupid move :sad:

Sterling would have been forced to pit anyway, due to the fender rubbing the tire. It really didn't cost him anything in terms of track position, since he would have started at the rear of the field in either case - and it got him some infamy.

I thought it was brilliant! Hell, we are still talking about it!

Good finish to the end of that race. I forgot that Tommy Baldwin was the CC on that team.

Sterling would have been forced to pit anyway, due to the fender rubbing the tire. It really didn't cost him anything in terms of track position, since he would have started at the rear of the field in either case - and it got him some infamy.

I thought it was brilliant! Hell, we are still talking about it!

He was the leader though if he had'nt got out and messed with it he could have pitted under yellow forcing others to pit, if they did'nt crew could have just jerked the fender out real quick while slapping on leftsides. he would'nt have been back out before the WHOLE feild went by and not been stuck at the end of the longest line behind all the lapped cars. That was his penalty "longest line" which was EVERYBODY/Dead Last!

I'm not sure that anybody else would have pitted at that stage of the race, whether he did or not...

But he would have been forced to and while he might not have been at the tail end of the field, he would have had no chance of winning the race.

But it doesn't really matter. He did what he did when he did it and that's it. :booya:

I miss IROC

iroc_2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom