What happened to pit timers?

Daytripper

Team Owner
Since the 80's when a car pulled into the pit the clock started and when the jack dropped the clock stopped. Three races in and I have not seen this once this year. They would also generally show you the pit times of the top 10 coming off pit road but not seeing that this year either. These new cars are supposed to have such faster pit times so why did they stop showing us the time?

Seems like this started last season because I was griping about it myself. I dunno wtf kind of nascar racing coverage doesn't show pit times.

Pit timers seemed arbitrary to me to begin with. So us line to line times, that's what matters more.
I like the way they do it now with a long shot down pit road and you can tell who is coming out of their pit first. But to each their own.

We’re talking about the on-screen timers that show TV viewers how fast the stops are executed, not timing lines for car speed.
And all I'm saying is that unless you're cheering for pit crews those numbers are arbitrary anyways. Start a timer at pit entry and stop it at pit exit. To me its more confusing why one team had a second faster stop but still lost spots on pit road. What the pit timer didn't show was for whatever reason the time down pit road was slow

Since the 80's when a car pulled into the pit the clock started and when the jack dropped the clock stopped. Three races in and I have not seen this once this year. They would also generally show you the pit times of the top 10 coming off pit road but not seeing that this year either. These new cars are supposed to have such faster pit times so why did they stop showing us the time?
I would like to see them keep the current speed graphic on when a car hits pit road. It would be interesting how the play the timing line game and how close they come to speeding.

Larry Mac just explained that they can't show pit times unless they keep the camera on the same car during the entire pit stop. They feel it is more important to show several different pit stops than just lock in on one or two. People complain about no timers, people complain they don't show enough different cars...

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Larry Mac just explained that they can't show pit times unless they keep the camera on the same car during the entire pit stop. They feel it is more important to show several different pit stops than just lock in on one or two. People complain about no timers, people complain they don't show enough different cars...

How many pit stops in a race? They can show one car and a timer a few times a race no problem.

Yeah the money shot to me is the long TV shot looking down pit row to see who comes out of the boxes first. More important than looking at one car and wondering who got out first IMO.

Yeah the money shot to me is the long TV shot looking down pit row to see who comes out of the boxes first. More important than looking at one car and wondering who got out first IMO.
Absolutely, and I also wish someone would destroy the in car camera and the one looking out of the front window that just shows the back of the car in front of the camera. They spend way to much time on those 2 cameras. I would much rather watch a 10 to 15 car group racing for positions.

The in car's don't bother me. I like the ones that can pan around and the shots when they bump or are racing side by side work for me.

I call BS, how come it was never an issue before?

I call BS, how come it was never an issue before?
Because before, they left the camera on a car for its entire stop before switching to another one. Now they're switching around more.

At least now we know what's different. I can accept the answer without agreeing with the decision behind it. Thanks, @wi_racefan .

Because before, they left the camera on a car for its entire stop before switching to another one. Now they're switching around more.

At least now we know what's different. I can accept the answer without agreeing with the decision behind it. Thanks, @wi_racefan .
In previous years they would give us the pit times of the top ten coming off pit road of every pit, green or yellow. Larry mac's explanation is clearly BS.

I don't remember it either. I remember being shown the order they came off and how many tires. I don't recall seeing times for the first ten off. Just times for selected cars on camera.

At least we have an explanation and one that makes sense. I would be more ok with this if the multiple cars they showed weren't in full zoom mode

Fox needs to do better. They’ve been very hit & miss with intervals, lap times, only want to show us speed, and this.

Last edited:
I don't get what the problem is, I'm not asking for times on every stop, but there are how many pit stops in a race? They absolutely can show a car with a timer once in a while, it's seriously a non issue, so I'm calling BS as well. It was fun watching the close ups, the pit crew running around the car, the tire changer, zing, zing, zing, zing, zing, oh wait that's gone to. :mad:

Unless I'm misunderstanding something, NBC and Sky don't seem to have that problem. They always show pit times from cars that are not in the picture.
IMG_20220327_225509.jpg

IMG_20220320_170640.jpg

But are they recapping? They show the exit order and tires changed, but I don't recall seeing times this year.

But are they recapping? They show the exit order and tires changed, but I don't recall seeing times this year.
Exiting position +/- is more important than the time I would guess. A team takes two, another takes 4 who cares what the time is, the restart position is more important, or if green the position when they come out under green conditions. :idunno: Opinions will vary for sure lol.

Exiting position +/- is more important than the time I would guess.
Coming in from left field, there are few stats less useful than current speeds. Trying to compare them across drivers ignores so many factors - traffic, straightaways vs. turns. etc. Even last lap average is pretty useless. Five or ten lap averages are the way to go.

Pit road timers are pretty worthless unless you include the entry and exits that make up the whole pit sequence. Much easier and simpler to see who crosses the line out of the pits first.

Pit road timers are pretty worthless unless you include the entry and exits that make up the whole pit sequence. Much easier and simpler to see who crosses the line out of the pits first.
Yeah, but it's entertaining to know where that time was gained or lost, whether it was the driver's portion or the crew's. I agree that entry and exit laps would be great, especially for those occasions when we get green flag stops .

It's not like it's something that hasn't been done for years. Pit times have been around forever, they just decided not to show them anymore. Will see what happens when NBC takes over.

Reactions: Pat
Yeah, but it's entertaining to know where that time was gained or lost, whether it was the driver's portion or the crew's. I agree that entry and exit laps would be great, especially for those occasions when we get green flag stops .
The only time I found them interesting was when they were timing the stops without pit road speed during the All Star contest. :idunno:

Coming in from left field, there are few stats less useful than current speeds. Trying to compare them across drivers ignores so many factors - traffic, straightaways vs. turns. etc. Even last lap average is pretty useless. Five or ten lap averages are the way to go.
Yup...never could figure that one out, except for the rare moment you might catch the corner entry speed and by chance compare to another driver. But I am more focused on being entertained when I watch the race and wouldn't have the mental capacity to do that.

Back
Top Bottom