What is it that draws criticism?

paul

Team Owner
I'm just curious as to which aspects of NASCAR you think non-fans base their criticisms on?

For example, many people say that NASCAR is like the WWF because of the way fans boo driver A and cheer for driver B, as if it were a wrestling match between the good guy and the bad guy.

Some people say that it's a demolition derby series. That the crowds gather to watch the drivers beat each other's cars into the walls without driving with class.

Do you agree with any of the faults people find with NASCAR? Do you think NASCAR is the best series for motorsports? If so why?

Unfortunately there is evidence to back up the criticisms. Just witness the mayhem at the end of the Daytona race. That really showed the "class and grace" of some NASCAR fans.

I think a lot of the criticism is based on the perceptions delivered into homes by TV. It seems to me that the rowdy, beer-guzzling, unwashed fan seems to get more exposure than the majority of the regular guy/gal fan.

Hearing the cheering at wrecks gives the perception that these are gladitorial games for the masses. Viewers never see the fan, like me, for instance, who is cringing and wringing their hands hoping that all drivers are out safely.

The main criticism I get from my friends is that it is boring. "Cars going around in a circle."

I don't want to sound snotty here, but I think many of the people (mostly sportswriters) who have derrogatory opinions of the sport simply don't get it. I can fully understand that sentiment - I abhor soccer, don't understand it, don't want to understand it, and consider it a waste of excellent athletes. They cannot fathom how watching people drive in circles can be exciting and evoke such strong feelings from the fans. Face it, 99% of the adults in this country know how to drive a car, and many people see it as just that. They never consider that 99% also know how to kick a ball. Paring NASCAR down to simply driving is the same as paring soccer down to simply kicking a ball. But they never consider that.

I also think some of them have had unpleasant run-ins, however passing, with a beligerent or obnoxious fan, and associate those feelings to all fans. The Southern "redneck" thing also plays into it. If your world consisted of country clubs, debutante balls, and Lexuses (Lexi? Lexae?), you might also see a tri-colored 1983 Grand Am with an image of Calvin peeing on a number that means little to you as somewhat negative.

You ain't gonna win 'em all over. No sport will. I think NASCAR is trying deperately to shed some of the negative perception that some people associate with it. Jimmy Spencer ain't helping that cause much in those Target commercials, but they are trying. So long as they don't start alienating the core base of long time fans, I think it's a good ploy. But it won't work with everyone.

However, how many complaints do I read from the fans on this board that Fox/NBC didn't cover the wrecks? Or, the wreck happened during a commercial? So are you tuning in just for the mayhem?
How many negative posts are that about Gordon being gay? Lil'E being a drunk? Spencer being fat? Is the driver being recognized for his ability or their supposed off track persona?
In the WWE the outcome is predetermined. In NASCAR how many felt that a driver won because they were chosen? Go back and re-read the various posts.
It appears there could be an argument that NASCAR is becoming Sports Entertainment. :(

Most of my friends scoff and guffaw at it being a "Redneck" sport and "All they ever do is turn left. how boring!". I agree with Ward-Fan that the fan base is misrepresented at times; however, I can win my friends over one at a time I think. Hey, congratulate me. I managed to persuade 3 of them to go with me to Richmond in September. :D

"So long as they don't start alienating the core base of long time fans, I think it's a good ploy."

Higher prices. Dropping traditional tracks. Different rules. It just seems like by building bigger tracks, more seats and raising prices beyong the GOB (good ol' boy) level they are alienating the core base to appeal more to the yuppie crowd. I used to go to a lot of races. Now it takes longer to negotiate the traffic, coming or going, at Lowe's (Charlotte) Motor Speedway than the race lasts. NASCAR.com a pay site. Races going to ppv. I sometimes feel that NASCAR is forgetting who brought them to the party. But, are ho'ing themselves out for the bucks. The core fan is not what they want to attract. We ain't good enuff anymore.

I think the fans have a very bad reputation. There are a ton of drunk rowdy fans that go to the races and some of the stuff that goes on in the infield is just amazing. These things don't help the reputation.

Also, most people just see a bunch of rednecks turning left. They don't understand the strategy, technology etc. that go into it. It is really just ignorance. If you didn't understand football strategy at all, you would just be watching a bunch of millionaires knock each other down.

Also, many people associate race fans with people who work on cars. Many people view people who are mechanically inclined as uneducated or somehow dirty. I am amazed at the amount of people who used to come into the auto parts place I used to run and have us put a battery in for them. How can a man not be able to do something that simple?

I used to say the same things about Nascar. It's boring, why would they want to do that? Can't we watch something else or just turn it off. Then I sat down and WATCHED a race. All the tech. stuff, and the pit crews, drivers, and what was happening on the track just capativied me! I coudn't believe it took all that for them just to turn left and go in a circle for hours. I've been hooked since! I am an educated person with a college degree. I don't consider my self a redneck. I know when the tv shows do a piece on Nascar, they also show the fans in the infield having a good ol time. That's the fans people expect with Nascar. I just don't think that's reality anymore. There is more following with the sport now then ever. The fan based has grown, other's just don't know that yet. I don't watch for the big crashes. I watch the whole race. As for booing the drivers, every sport has that. You like some teams or people better than others. That's called being a fan! I just hope Nascar doesn't price it's self out of business! That's my .02 sorry so long!

I think people perceive NASCAR as a "redneck" sport too...they couldn't possibly like something redneck. I can see how it gets this label from some of the things that go on in the campgrounds/infield. When people hear those stories they freak. I know some people that have gone to the campgrounds and are to drunk to make it to the race. Also, I've heard the "How can you just watch cars go around in a circle...boring." I used to feel that way. Now, once you get into it and you know all the personalities, and why this guy is doing this or that on the track, it's interesting. Why did someone take 2 tires instead of 4, for example.

Most criticism is the lack of knowledge when it comes to the what is really going on around the track,and in the pits.If someone doesn't like it they should not be backseat drivers. :)

Of course there will be criticism in Nascar. Its a fan based sport. Every fan has "their" favorite driver (a), so of course theyll route for them. Now lets say another driver(B) takes them out of the race. Now the fan of driver A is very mad at driver B so on race day theyll boo at driver B. A little incident like this, will most likely be ongoing, since that Fan of A will look upon B as a driver who cant drive, not for one race but for several or more.
........hope I did a good job of confusing you all. lol

However, how many complaints do I read from the fans on this board that Fox/NBC didn't cover the wrecks? Or, the wreck happened during a commercial? So are you tuning in just for the mayhem?

Covering the wrecks has nothing to do with the fact we "want" to see them wreck, rather, is it our driver or teammate that has wrecked. How has the field changed. What pit strategy is coming up....

Look, I don't give a flip if someone likes Nascar, or racing for that matter or not. If you do, you get it, if not, well, you're the one missing out and I'm not going to be the one to pursuade you.

My hubby still calls Nascar " cars going around in circles" and that's why we have more than 1 TV.

On the other hand, Na$car has priced me and many others out of attending races. I pay for Trackpass and consider it a bargain compared to going to the race, but WILL NOT buy into PPV.

Besides, I can drink my beer for a lot less and no DUI when I watch on TV.

Wrecks, yes I bitch when tv cuts away for a commercial because I want to know that the driver(s) are ok, what happened, etc.

Yes I root for driver A, but only get pizzed at driver B if he wrecks my baby, make fun of some (prolly rightfully so), BUT never boo.

RESPECT ALL, WISH NO HARM

Theres alot of basher nascar fans more then any of the other motorsports, if you look at uncencored boards youll see people pposting up stupid rumors all the time. I dont know if any of you saw But I cant even watch the race at my friends house because his dad likes makeing fun of gordon fans.

Speaking of Bashing Nascar...the other night in a Nascar chat on aol There was a guy bashing Nascar and saying Rally Rules...What Bs. But according to him Its just driving in circles and it doesnt take a real man to do that. But he was from Europe so ya never know. That tells me that Nascar's popularity comes soley from the US.

i think the reason NASCAR gets critisized by forein fans is #1, theres no non-american drivers or tracks, the #2 reason is that it's on oval tracks, less driver talent, no shifting or elevation changes or direction changes, etc... and 3rd, i think its still looked upon as a bunch of drunken rednecks, getting in their 4 x 4's and going to watch the cars crash...i can usually think of more to say, but not now..:)

Back
Top Bottom