What is the dumbest or craziest thing you have ever seen a race fan do, or did yourself as a fan?

Greg

2014 RF YAHOO CHAMP Your leader
What is the dumbest or craziest thing you have ever seen a race fan do, or did yourself as a fan?

We want participation and a fun thread so don’t let the following stifle you, but if possible please stipulate:

-Ok to post things you have told or been didn’t see yourself, or third person accounts but it probably good to note that point.

-Hamming it up can be fun, but maybe noting it a day or so later would be good too.

-Don’t get mad if your crowd is identified as looking kooky, every crowd has some kooks.

I will try to post some of my own stories, but I am off to work for six hours (yes on the 4th), so mine will be posted a little later.

I was sitting next to some newbies at Atlanta. It was the Fall race and hot as blue blazes -- humidity had to be off the chart. These newbies had their beer-loaded coolers and were drinking as fast as they could open the cans. I told them that they'd be falling over before the race even started if they didn't drink some water in between beers. They didn't listen. Passed out before the green fell, had to be hauled off by medic team. Paid all that money for great seats and didn't even see their first race. Oh, well.

Let me check if the statue of limitations has run out before I comment.:)

Although this one is safe. Remember beer bottles? Beer used to come in them. Ring a bell? After the races a group of us would load up and head for the far corner of the lot and have a cookout. One guys wife was tired of him drinking 3 adult beverages to everyone elses one. When he asked her for another beer out of their cooler she gave him one she had dumped the beer [sacrilege I know] and filled with water. He damm near died! Choking and glacking, water out his nose etc. Funny as he77,,,:beerbang:

When JR won at MIS a couple of weeks ago some old lady flashed her nnnnnasty tits at everyone.

When JR won at MIS a couple of weeks ago some old lady flashed her nnnnnasty tits at everyone.

That wasn't some nasty lady, that was me. :D

Talladega, four years ago, we were sitting in the lot before the cup race and a guy across the lane was showing another guy his handgun. He shot himself in the thigh. It went through and through and he was bleeding like a stuck hog.

All four of us were medics and we didn't have a bandaid between the lot of us.

I did not see the following event, it is the story a lady friend told me.

In the early to mid 90s the lady friend along with her BF went to Talladega.

He had been a Davey Allison fan. After Davey passed away Jeff Gordon became his driver. All very honorable stuff, he had worked in the pits at the local tracks, and worked construction for a living. His personality didn't match the following behavior, guess that's part of racing.

Scene 1
At the track:

He is in the Talladega stands waving a rainbow Tomahawk being all Gordon crazy. His GF is hardcore Earnhardt, she even owns an mid 80s Monte Carlo Earnhardt signature edition.

The boyfriend continues cutting a fool being all Tomahawky in the stands. Until the big one happens involving Gordon.

Scene 2

Now the crowd in his section is giving him the works. One guy behind him playfully thumps him with his play Tomahawk.

Tomahawky man is not happy now, his gf isnt happy either (I think Dale was taken out in the big one too) they argue. Surrounding crowd begins to let miss platinum blond Earnhardt fan know they are on her side (and capable of treating her better too).

Rainbow Tomahawk warrior decides to go sit somewhere else, leaves miss Earnhardt fan behind.

Scene 3

They go home together, and have some make up time. He even called her Theresa a few times.

They lived happily ever after.

Those are the facts that she reported to me.

Nastiest Thing:
One cold and chilly spring Atlanta race we where standing in a concession stand line behind an obviously inebriated Earnhardt fan who was standing behind a Gordon fan wearing a Gordon hoodie sweatjacket. Suddenly E fan began gagging and choking then grabbed G fans hoodie and proceded to upchuck into it. Nobody in line was hungry anymore and G fan Stunk!

Funniest Thing:
I think it was 1998 or maybe 99? 4th July race at Daytona. Early in the race Jeff Gordon wrecked on the back straight, spun bounced through the grass ( it was still grass back there at the time ) managed to stay out of the wall and somhow got going again with no yellow being thrown. I don't think he even lost a lap? but after he got going again he was running at speed right in front of the leaders. 4 Gordon Fans Cheered everytime he came by thinking Gordon was leading ( alcohol may have contributed to their misinterpretation of the situation ) After about 10-15 laps a fan seated in front of them turned around explained the situation to them and pointed to the scoring tower, all 4 Gordon fans immediatly gathered their stuff and Left!

The dumbest stuff I have seen happens locally.

Usually hate for the hot shoe that's dominating.

I rember one case were every time the leader came around they would be giving him the finger, and cussing him.

Then a woman who liked the driver walks over and says quit booing Donnie and shut your mouths.
Then one of the booing wives tells her to shut up herself.
Then a husband stands up to back up his woman, then a husband on the other side or party gets involved,

I would hate to have explain getting locked up for something like that, you might just be a redneck if you actually fight over a driver.

Going out onto the track and trying to get an autograph from Kenseth under a red flag is pretty crazy.

Stealing the pace car for a run around Daytona speedway is the craziest of all.

The dumbest thing I did at the track once was setting my large sack of driver paraphernalia down at the little condiment island whilst slathering up my $6 hot dog with mustard and relish and forgetting to grab said bag when I left.
The coolest thing was going back 20 minutes later to find some guy sitting there with his kids (race hadn't started yet) come up to me as he saw me looking around and hand me my bag of goodies and say, "I knew somebody would be back for this".
I thanked him, gave him some concession stand money and went back up to my seat to watch the start of the race.
There was probably $200 worth of stuff in that bag. Had the same thing occured at a Raider game my stuff would have already been sold for beer money out in the parking lot. NASCAR fans rock!

The dumbest thing I did at the track once was setting my large sack of driver paraphernalia down at the little condiment island whilst slathering up my $6 hot dog with mustard and relish and forgetting to grab said bag when I left.
The coolest thing was going back 20 minutes later to find some guy sitting there with his kids (race hadn't started yet) come up to me as he saw me looking around and hand me my bag of goodies and say, "I knew somebody would be back for this".
I thanked him, gave him some concession stand money and went back up to my seat to watch the start of the race.
There was probably $200 worth of stuff in that bag. Had the same thing occured at a Raider game my stuff would have already been sold for beer money out in the parking lot. NASCAR fans rock!

I'm more surprised that you paid $6 for a hotdog.

What do the dogs cost at your local track? A crappy Philly Cheesesteak sandwich at AutoClub speedway is $8 (prolly the best thing to come outta Philly any old way :D)
$2.00. For $4 you can get a delicious bologna burger, and $6 will get you a fantastic steak sammich. (yes, I spelled it sammich:D)

What do the dogs cost at your local track? A crappy Philly Cheesesteak sandwich at AutoClub speedway is $8 (prolly the best thing to come outta Philly any old way :D)

I don't eat at the track unless I get really hungry. Track food sucks big time.

We always tailgate no matter what, but you can't help but buy something once you're inside the gates. The best food gets cooked in the parking lot but sometimes it's too far away.
This is 8:00am breakfast last year at LVMS
IMG_2492.jpg

Certainly beats spending upwards of $8 for a burger trackside.

This was probably the best race track food I've ever had. Although I've been told they have a different vendor this year.

Legends-Night-366-XL.jpg

It was the early 90's at Phoenix for the October cup race. We had gotten to the track fairly early and were wondering around people watching and spending money. I decided what the hell I think I'll have me a beer. I spot the nearest stand and tell the lady I'll have a beer please. She looks at me kinda funny and says at 10 o'clock?(meaning beer wouldn't be sold UNTIL 10) I took this as her opinion and said sure why not I'm on vacation and not driving. She looks at me like I'm an Idiot and says laughing no I meant not until 10.
It was 9:40. I found a different stand at 10:05

At first, perhaps one would be inclined to call any NASCAR fan dumb for getting his or her favorite driver's # tatooed on themselves, knowing that same driver could be driving around with a different # in the future. But if you think about it, it just shows you that particular fan is an old school fan of that driver. Say, like, someone sporting a #20 Home Depot tatoo for Tony Stewart.
And we all know how lucky those Dale Jr fans with #8 tatoos became after he switched car #'s. Just needed to add an extra digit to their existing tatoo.

As for this guy, well, I'm not quite sure what he's a fan of. But, to each their own, huh?

RackMultipart.23458.0_display_image.jpg

We always tailgate no matter what, but you can't help but buy something once you're inside the gates. The best food gets cooked in the parking lot but sometimes it's too far away.
This is 8:00am breakfast last year at LVMS
IMG_2492.jpg

Certainly beats spending upwards of $8 for a burger trackside.

Hamburgers! The cornerstone of any nutritious breakast!

I have bologna burgers for breakfast, lunch and dinner at South Boston Speedway.

In no particular order

1. In high school a couple of girls called wanting to know if I would come see them that Saturday night. I told them “ No I was going to the races” that was dumb.

2. In 1982 I decided I wanted to the “All American 400” in Nashville Tennessee. It was a last minute plan so me and a cousin took off on Saturday morning. I had never traveled on my own or planned an itinerary. Nashville was a six hour drive one way, and we drove my dads old ford pickup truck. It got awful mileage and we were almost broke by Saturday night after the heat races. We thought about sleeping in the truck, but it was late October and cold in Tennessee.

So we decided to forget the 400 on Sunday and just drive back home. I was flat broke and on empty by the time we got home, and I literally coasted down parts of the mountains. I called the track Sunday and learned that Bob Sennaker had won the race. I did get one good memory, I was able to see Alan Kulwicki win a heat race in the yellow # 97 Firebird.

3. On another occasion we drove to old Jeffco speedway in Georgia about a 90 minute drive, only to learn they wasn’t racing that night. It was the 80s, no internet and I just messed up on the advertised week.

4. On another occasion I decided to go to see the season ending Championship races at Ashville Speedway. Robert and Bob Pressley were putting on some good races then, I was busy in college and forgot to cash my pay check that weekend. I discovered this when I got to the track. Admission was $12 , after scrapping together and even pulling the carpets out, I had a total of $ 11.94. I talked to the woman at the ticket booth, and she let me in for $11.94 rather the $12

Wow, we really ran out of things to talk about this week.lol Daytona better provide some action....

Back
Top Bottom