What is your favorite maintenance software?

G

gmcbreadtrk

I'm putting together a dual AMD gaming machine for a guy who really knows nothing about computers. I'm looking for simple software he can use to keep his machine cleaned up and running smoothly. I have tons of utilities I use but most require some knowledge to use.

Wondering what you guys would suggest to a newbie?

I use Norton System Works.works good for my system.My wife,and kids play a lot of games.I clean house once a week.:)

I just use Microsoft's ME's maintenance utilities on my homebuilt machine. I had Norton's System's Works but it conflicts with my firewall (ZoneAlarm). Works good for me.......do a clean up, scan disk, and defrag about once a week. But every so often, if you are using ME, you need to disable System Restore to clear out all those images it saves to your drive.....just don't forget to enable it afterwords or you don't have any "back up" to fall on if you have big time crash!! Just got Norton's Ghost to get rid of system restore for good......it has some maintenance utilities too. But, being DOS based it may be too much for a newbie to computers.:D

You are right about some conflicts Wrangler.It requires baby sittin sometimes.

I would say just to have him run defrag and system cleanup every now and then.

Send him/her to this website which has some very, very basic computer cleaning tips.

Dual AMDs eh? What speed? Can't go wrong with AMD, they make a excellent products at like half the price of Intel.

All those things are good, but also If you like to maxamize your memory then download this little program Just click on MaxMem and it will free up your available RAM. Good luck putting together your new system:)

nice:thumbsup: You should be set for awhile, hehe.

Yeah IMO w2k is just about the best, I am runnin ME:( One of these days I am gettin out of it for sure

This isn't for me. This is for one of the guys I fly helicopters with. Mines a lowly dual amd 1.2 non scsi 64 meg box. My first homebuilt. It is nice getting to practice building for others on their dime.

I recommend Norton SystemWorks as well. I've got the 2000 version in my Win98 SE PIII Dell, and the 2002 version in my Win98 SE/Win 2k Pro/Win XP Pro AMD (Athlon XP 1800+), and it works well in all environments. The 2002 version has a feature called "One-button checkup" that includes a Registry Scan, Program Integrity Scan, Free Space Check, Virus Definitions Check, and an Auto-Protect Check (more virus stuff). It's pretty user friendly and should take care of most issues.

BTW, agree with you about Win XP. It's like Win 2K, but with a hula skirt on. Hate the frilly, "web feel" of the interface (although you can disable that and make it look like classic Windows), and generally don't like the idea of first run OS's anyway. Might as well not bother with it until a 2nd Edition is released (if that even happens). Although, I must say, it was a breeze to install. It was the only one of the Windows versions to recognize all the random pieces of hardware I put into this machine. I literally had to do no work.

Back
Top Bottom