What makes dirt tracks different?

Brentford

Team Owner
As the title states, what makes one track different from the other? Is it the same as with NASCAR such as track size, track surface condition and even the specific tracks fan experience? I'd also assume that competition might be different at certain tracks that offer a higher payout which would obviously attract more racers. We have a local track here in Wichita, but I've considered maybe looking around the state, but also bordering states such as Oklahoma and Missouri to check out some of their tracks that are within driving distance of me. However, will the experience be enough of a difference compared to our local track to make it worth driving to? If so, does anyone have any recommendations for tracks in either Northern Oklahoma or Western Missouri that I should check out?

Every track (pavement or dirt) is unique and has its own characteristics and a different fan experience.
For northern Oklahoma, I'd recommend Salina Highbanks Speedway, I went there last year, really great close racing at the WoO event.
I'd recommend checking out the World of Outlaws special there, they have it every year.
For western Missouri, definitely the best track would be Lucas Oil Raceway in Wheatland. While I have not been there personally yet, it is well known as one the of the top dirt tracks in the country. Has very high quality facilities and great racing.
I'd recommend checking out the Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series there, they have events 2 or 3 times a year at the track.
For something different, you might want to check out the Lucas Oil Off Road Championship. They run on a completely separate track on the property, a dirt road course with jumps for the trucks, its pretty cool.

Dirt tracks are a lot like Bristol, it’s all about different grooves coming in and adjusting.

For me it’s about how good of a cushion does a track have to allow the drivers to use their handling and throttle skills to maintain the car. With a lesser amount of cushion, races can tend to turn into aero shows. See this often at Eldora, when it’s been dry and hot leaving little cushion on that wall it’s nearly impossible to pass

Every track (pavement or dirt) is unique and has its own characteristics and a different fan experience.
For northern Oklahoma, I'd recommend Salina Highbanks Speedway, I went there last year, really great close racing at the WoO event.
I'd recommend checking out the World of Outlaws special there, they have it every year.
For western Missouri, definitely the best track would be Lucas Oil Raceway in Wheatland. While I have not been there personally yet, it is well known as one the of the top dirt tracks in the country. Has very high quality facilities and great racing.
I'd recommend checking out the Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series there, they have events 2 or 3 times a year at the track.
For something different, you might want to check out the Lucas Oil Off Road Championship. They run on a completely separate track on the property, a dirt road course with jumps for the trucks, its pretty cool.

Thanks for all the information! I had noticed Lucas Oil Speedway, but never even thought about checking out the Off Road Championship there. Seems like often times, they run the same day as the dirt track oval and admission gets you into both events for a very reasonable price. I think I will definitely be checking out that track sometime this season.

Salina Highbanks might also be a place that I check out this season. It's only about a 2 1/2 drive, so I could definitely drive there and back within the same day.

Is 81 Speedway your local track in Wichita? I would recommend Lakeside Speedway in Kansas City, KS, especially one of their late season specials in September and October. Modifieds and late models put on a great show there. Humboldt Speedway in Humboldt , KS is a cool little 1/4 mile bullring with good modified racing. Lucas Oil Speedway as mentioned; if you want to catch a truly marquee event, that's probably the place to do it. Thunder Hill Speedway is outside of Topeka and would be fairly close to you. I always thought Central Missouri Speedway in Warrensburg, MO was a fun track with good atmosphere.

Thanks for all the information! I had noticed Lucas Oil Speedway, but never even thought about checking out the Off Road Championship there. Seems like often times, they run the same day as the dirt track oval and admission gets you into both events for a very reasonable price. I think I will definitely be checking out that track sometime this season.

Salina Highbanks might also be a place that I check out this season. It's only about a 2 1/2 drive, so I could definitely drive there and back within the same day.

Well they only run the big west coast Lucas Oil Off Road championship race once per year. June this year. They are running a regular weekly show on the oval that weekend as well, but i dont see where admission to the oval is included with the off road race.
https://embed.showclix.com/event/inaugural-off-road-racing-series-event888159973135

The WoO race I went to at Salina last year was probably the best sprint car race i have seen. The forecast looked bad all day as well, but they didnt cancel, even with a poor crowd. They speed the show up, i think the WoO A Main was over before 9pm.

Lucas oil speedway is a must see place. The Show Me 100 in May is the event to go to, what a fun race that is.

Well they only run the big west coast Lucas Oil Off Road championship race once per year. June this year. They are running a regular weekly show on the oval that weekend as well, but i dont see where admission to the oval is included with the off road race.
https://embed.showclix.com/event/inaugural-off-road-racing-series-event888159973135

The WoO race I went to at Salina last year was probably the best sprint car race i have seen. The forecast looked bad all day as well, but they didnt cancel, even with a poor crowd. They speed the show up, i think the WoO A Main was over before 9pm.

I'm not sure. I'd probably have to call for clarification, but the speedway website says that all Saturday and weekend (3 day tickets) include entry to the Saturday night dirt track event. It does look like the Lucas Oil Off Road Championship do only race there once a year, but I'd still enjoy watching some of the weekly events it looks like they have on the road course, even if it's not the big boys.

If I remember correctly, the World of Outlaws came to Wichita last year. I had planned on going, but I'm not a people person and when I pulled up to the track, the place was PACKED, so I turned the car around and left. I guess I didn't expect it to be worth it since most of the Sprint car weekly shows are always so spread and and typically the worst race of the night.

Is 81 Speedway your local track in Wichita? I would recommend Lakeside Speedway in Kansas City, KS, especially one of their late season specials in September and October. Modifieds and late models put on a great show there. Humboldt Speedway in Humboldt , KS is a cool little 1/4 mile bullring with good modified racing. Lucas Oil Speedway as mentioned; if you want to catch a truly marquee event, that's probably the place to do it. Thunder Hill Speedway is outside of Topeka and would be fairly close to you. I always thought Central Missouri Speedway in Warrensburg, MO was a fun track with good atmosphere.

Yeah, 81 Speedway is the local track. I've driven by the Humboldt Speedway a few times, but I've never actually been. 81 Speedway and Flint Creek Speedway on the Arkansas/Oklahoma border are actually the only two tracks I've been to. Thought I've also been to the Hutchinson Nationals at the Kansas State Fair a few times. I'd really like to just start checking out tracks that I've never been to.

I'm not sure. I'd probably have to call for clarification, but the speedway website says that all Saturday and weekend (3 day tickets) include entry to the Saturday night dirt track event. It does look like the Lucas Oil Off Road Championship do only race there once a year, but I'd still enjoy watching some of the weekly events it looks like they have on the road course, even if it's not the big boys.

If I remember correctly, the World of Outlaws came to Wichita last year. I had planned on going, but I'm not a people person and when I pulled up to the track, the place was PACKED, so I turned the car around and left. I guess I didn't expect it to be worth it since most of the Sprint car weekly shows are always so spread and and typically the worst race of the night.

The local show at Wheatland is probably decent. I think they run super late models. I cant comment on the quality of the local off road stuff, but i personally wouldnt bother with off road unless they have Pro 2 and Pro 4 trucks.

If you cant deal with a big crowd, then dont bother with a World of Outlaws race. They basically nearly sell out at almost every event. The only time i have seen a "poor" crowd was at Salina last year. But that was only because of the terrible weather forecast. Any other time, they probably would have cancelled the day before. The track was pretty determined to get the show in. There was still a fair amount or people there too, just smallish for a WoO show.

What makes dirt tracks different? Track size, surface condition, fan experience, competitors, and payout are certainly part of it. You have physical differences like length, width, banking, elevation changes, what is in the dirt, and how well it retains moisture. You have intangibles like recent weather, which racers show up, and even different wear and tear on the surface due to running different classes (possibly in different orders). Promoters have different styles, announcers, concessions, flagmen, and sometimes rules.

Traction on dirt can change quickly and drastically, so even if all of the same racers show up every week the racing can be quite different week to week. You definitely should visit different tracks to experience their shows, but don’t be surprised if the shows at the same track also change during the season.

Different type of dirt/top soil is what I am guessing.

no cookie cutter dirt tracks! each has a different personality due to size, configuration, type of dirt, etc. and thanks to mother nature, a track can change from week to week.

Just go! you won't regret it.

http://www.dirtfan.com/tracks/USA/Kansas/

http://www.dirtfan.com/tracks/USA/Oklahoma/

http://www.dirtfan.com/tracks/USA/Missouri/

Tracks that I remember hearing great things about besides wheatland:
Belleville High Banks in Belleville, Kansas
Tri-State Speedway in Pocola, Oklahoma

Check out the schedules for these series. If they are nearby, take a chance:

http://lucasdirt.com/events/schedule
http://www.woolms.com/schedule/2018-schedule
http://www.mlraracing.com/events/schedule.html
http://www.woosprint.com/schedule/2018-schedule