what may be 24's biggest mistake last nite ??

hawg dawg

Team Owner
--spinnin tires on restart..........nope

--pickin top on restart ........nope

-- comin down on kez ......nope

final 2 pit stops for flat ....may be what keeps him outa final 4 .....if ...he doesn't win at phoenix.
they changed rt sides on 1st stop......not lefts ! ( flat was lft rear ) came back for lefts next stop.
but........got a lap down.
those extra spots he mighta got had he stayed on lead lap for restart .....................may be tha few points he needs ta advance after phoenix ! ??
gotta worry bout 20 & 99 now .......as well as 2 & 4. !!

we'll see if those few points matter this weekend.

Last edited:
He got a one lapper for coming into the pits early I thought, but then they said the green light was on. I think he did get a penalty, so it didn't make any difference which side they did or didn't do, he still would have been a lap down.

It was the crew not the CC. I was listening on Raceview and Alan was screaming at them to change the left sides and come back for the rights if they had time. But it was like they were on auto pilot and ignoring him. He would not have been a lap down but at the end of the longest line.

his biggest mistake was he lost focus that others driver want to win the race too. he choose the outside lane because he was playing it in his head how he was going pull of the restart never thinking about the cars behind him had plans of their own how to win.

I think the tree mistakes up top were the big ones, they didn't lose that much on the tire pit fiasco.

I should have better sense than getting into this:

Gordon has always been a great driver, but with an Achilles heel over the last 7 or 8 years. Which is obviously restarts, I know he has made recent improvements, but he is still more often than not is passive rather than the aggressor.

I hate yellow fever but Gordon and Gordonites should hate them more. This should all be obvious or self evident. Short runs, and short pit cycles work against him most and it did last night.

I think Gordon would have shot that gap in the 90s, he had less of a conscience then. Bump and runs and being the animal when needed was part of his deal. With time that animal changed to being more about finesse. He is still brilliant and kick ass on long runs. I think that is more righteous and I honestly wish that was more rewarding and there were less resets.

Nascar has changed a lot in recent years, in this era of double files, and with more compressed resets, the aggressive types have gained even more power or an even greater advantage.

Last night I simply think he allowed to much space for an animal like Brad, he should have maintained less than a car widths space between him and Jimmie. There was just to much at stake to let that go unchecked, you have to be ever present or aware of who's behind you and what happens when they smell an opportunity. It goes beyond who is right or wrong, it is simply what one has to do.

And I don't think Jeff would have shot that gap if the tables had been turned. He just isn't that aggressive imo. He says he would have moved Jr at Martinsville but he didn't and I can't see the current gentleman actually performing the deed.
He also lamented about not moving Hamlin at Atlanta late in the 2012 race. Which if successfully performed would have guaranteed almost guaranteed a chase spot, but bottom line he didn't move him.

The difference in driving styles or whatever terms fits, probably bothered him as much as anything. Two different drivers with two different approaches that will never agree on who was right or wrong.
We could write long well documented essays on who's right or wrong ourselves Yada Yada.

But at the end of the day, Gordon has to get better with a little more aggression on the restarts. Do some instigating of his own.
He has more of a conscience now, I like him better as a person, but it doesn't serve a driver well wanting to win this type of chase, especially with Green White Checkers, Yellow fever and the following double file restarts.

All of the above is obviously just my opinion that I can not prove. I like folks on both sides of this thing. I am going to do my best to say no more. Probably said to much already.

22 and 31 teams had problems too.
they rebounded for extra points at end.
points that may get 'em both in final 4 ??

just pointin out that 24 team's flat tire pit goof may wind up bein reason they don't make final 4 ??
not kez hole argument /etc. ?

we'll see sunday.

greg......jeffie moved jeff burton for a million $$. ha! for 1st wife maybe ? ha!
see nbcsn nascar show today.

The lane choice on the last restart. For sure.

greg......jeffie moved jeff burton for a million $$. ha! for 1st wife maybe ? ha!
see nbcsn nascar show today.

Nitpicking a little: If I remember correctly he blocked Burtons run or last shot at passing him.
It was flagrant imo, he ran him all the way down to the apron near the front stretch wall.

I should have better sense than getting into this:

Gordon has always been a great driver, but with an Achilles heel over the last 7 or 8 years. Which is obviously restarts, I know he has made recent improvements, but he is still more often than not is passive rather than the aggressor.

I hate yellow fever but Gordon and Gordonites should hate them more. This should all be obvious or self evident. Short runs, and short pit cycles work against him most and it did last night.

I think Gordon would have shot that gap in the 90s, he had less of a conscience then. Bump and runs and being the animal when needed was part of his deal. With time that animal changed to being more about finesse. He is still brilliant and kick ass on long runs. I think that is more righteous and I honestly wish that was more rewarding and there were less resets.

Nascar has changed a lot in recent years, in this era of double files, and with more compressed resets, the aggressive types have gained even more power or an even greater advantage.

Last night I simply think he allowed to much space for an animal like Brad, he should have maintained less than a car widths space between him and Jimmie. There was just to much at stake to let that go unchecked, you have to be ever present or aware of who's behind you and what happens when they smell an opportunity. It goes beyond who is right or wrong, it is simply what one has to do.

And I don't think Jeff would have shot that gap if the tables had been turned. He just isn't that aggressive imo. He says he would have moved Jr at Martinsville but he didn't and I can't see the current gentleman actually performing the deed.
He also lamented about not moving Hamlin at Atlanta late in the 2012 race. Which if successfully performed would have guaranteed almost guaranteed a chase spot, but bottom line he didn't move him.

The difference in driving styles or whatever terms fits, probably bothered him as much as anything. Two different drivers with two different approaches that will never agree on who was right or wrong.
We could write long well documented essays on who's right or wrong ourselves Yada Yada.

But at the end of the day, Gordon has to get better with a little more aggression on the restarts. Do some instigating of his own.
He has more of a conscience now, I like him better as a person, but it doesn't serve a driver well wanting to win this type of chase, especially with Green White Checkers, Yellow fever and the following double file restarts.

All of the above is obviously just my opinion that I can not prove. I like folks on both sides of this thing. I am going to do my best to say no more. Probably said to much already.
As usual, very well said. I respect the hell out of you.

He can handle Matt and Carl just fine.

Its Kevin he should worry about.

Jeff is one of my favorites...but that showed that he was concerned when he took the outside lane. Yes, the #2 had a had barely fresher tires, but he expected JJ to block the inside while he made hay on the outside.

No question about it - it was an absolute team deal just like the previous restart - but my boy Jeff spun his tires (as he admitted) and there was an opening for Kez. Kez knew he had to have the whole middle to have a chance at JJ and he went for it. Jeff came down on him and it was a coin flip on who's tire would be cut. Jeff got the short end of the stick...then made an ass of himself in the post-race fight.

Jeff's tire was not cut from being hit in the @ss...Kez was "legally alongside" at that point. They slammed against each other when they were pretty near even on the track.

Racin Deal.

Last edited:
They looked clueless on the pit stop. Too eager to fight, I guess. More brain and a little less brawn would be nice.

Actually...if Jeff had just realized that the #2 was faster...and not pinched him...the race would have ended up #2, #48, #4, #24...a lot.better than 29th.

Last edited:
Actually...if Jeff had just realized that the #2 was faster...and not pinched him...the race would have ended up #2, #48, #4, #24...a lot.better than 29th.

Not really. If he was faster than how come he didn't catch the 48?

Gordon spun the tires. That was his second mistake.

The first one was choosing the outside lane.

Overall though, they melted the hell down afterall which showed a severe lack of poise. Specially coming from this team that has been pretty stellar this year.

Oh well.

Not really. If he was faster than how come he didn't catch the 48?

Gordon spun the tires. That was his second mistake.

The first one was choosing the outside lane.

Overall though, they melted the hell down afterall which showed a severe lack of poise. Specially coming from this team that has been pretty stellar this year.

Oh well.

Because Harvick wasn't racing him respectfully. The big dummy was banging on Brads bumper and refusing to slow down and give him a break.

Back
Top Bottom