What series would you rather attend at this point?

Would you rather attend a top tier dirt race or NASCAR race?

• I'd rather attend a World of Outlaws Sprint Car Race

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • I'd rather attend a NASCAR race

Votes: 5 33.3%

• Total voters

racingfan7

Start and Park
Contributor
Would you rather attend a World of Outlaws Sprint Car Race or Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series race at this point?

I mean I attended World of Outlaws back in February at Las Vegas and thought WoO was every bit as good and competitive, the field was 38 cars, the crowd was very much into it (pretty much sold out on a Thursday Night), it feels like WoO is growing while NASCAR is just stalling in place.

Obviously you can't compare the 2, but I just felt like the product was more enjoyable.

My first exposure to racing was a dirt track when I was 4 or 5 years old, and I've been hooked ever since. Nothing compares, it may as well be in my blood. I'd always rather go to any quality dirt track racing program with a strong premier class than any other event period. That goes for sprint cars, late models, modifieds, and so on.

My favorite are non-winged sprint cars. WoO would be second right now, and the series is as good as I can remember it being.

I do not believe WoO and NASCAR are generally in competition for the same fans. They can probably help each other more than hurt.

What series would you rather attend at this point?

To answer this need more options:
Nascar: Exfinity and Truck races are the best in Nascar, as far as the RACING goes.
Open Wheel: 360 or 410 Non wing dirt Sprints # 1 to me in open wheel, then Winged Sprints.
Local Tracks: SUPER LATE MODELS for sure.

Depends...I enjoy both. But I would choose WOO over a NASCAR race at any 1 1/2 mile track or larger. I would choose NASCAR at most all short tracks, including Darlington and Atlanta.

Would you rather attend a World of Outlaws Sprint Car Race or Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series race at this point?
I'd rather not rank them, and I'm fortunate that I don't have to. Although, I would admit to dampened enthusiasm for Nascar under the 2019 horsepower and aero rules.

I grew up in the roadracing side of the sport, and MotoGP is my very favorite form of roadracing. It is the most difficult, with the greatest emphasis on "driver" skill and mano a mano competition. MotoGP is everything we would like F1 to be (but it never is).

WoO sprints are the greatest show on dirt, although Lucas Oil dirt late models are close. Both series turn out a deep field of quality teams. But American Flat Track is awesome as well.

The Indy 500 is the greatest oval race... no question about it. But Nascar during its low downforce era was awesome too, and racing every week. If Nascar could go back to 2018 rules and then slash side force, I'd be a happy race fan.

Nascar: Exfinity and Truck races are the best in Nascar, as far as the RACING goes.

I vote the Pinty's Series, K&N Pro Series and Modified Tour over any of the top 3 series of NASCAR. All 3 series (except a handful of events each year) race at the same boring 1.5 mile tracks every year. Lots of great short tracks (and road courses in the Pintys series). Much better racing IMO. Also those are very fan friendly with autograph sessions, etc... at all of the races. Throw ARCA's short track events in the same category as well, good stuff.

Hmm depends. NASCAR has an assault on your senses that nothing else does in my opinion, while WoO is just insanity. Seeing 25 cars flying around on a third of a mile track is eye opening, it's difficult to concentrate as a fan because of how crazy it looks from the stands

This is a selective question based on geography.
That said, regardless of location, I'd rather see Cup stars.

WoO. I've been to Daytona, Homestead, Atlanta, Darlington, Eldora for NASCAR already. I don't really have anything left on my NASCAR bucket list besides Bristol, Martinsville, and maybe Charlotte. I might wind up moving to the east coast and could finally catch a race at Volusia next winter.

Seeing both this month so I'll let you know

Over the years I've attended many of both of these choices. Today I am still attending the WoO but not NASCAR. Going home from a WoO race I still feel excited... going home from a NASCAR race I was happy to be going home...

I used to try to get non-racing friends interested in racing by taking them to all kinds of races, including NASCAR and WoO. The only ones who kept after me about going back were the ones that I took to WoO races.

This is a selective question based on geography.
That said, regardless of location, I'd rather see Cup stars.

Kyle Larson, Kasey Kahne, Christopher Bell, Tony Stewart are at a lot of races and usually none of them are dominating races that I've attended.

I'm a dirt guy through and through, but absolutely cannot attend a Sprint car race in person. There is way too much downtime for me, waiting on the cars to get pushed off every 2 minutes. Just put a starter on the damn things already...

Just put a starter on the damn things already...

Blasphemy. Also easier said than done with those engines. They would be adding a lot of unnecessary weight with a hefty starter motor, battery, clutch, flywheel, etc., none of which has ever been on a proper sprint car.

Actually, I don't have a problem if some lower series do it, but there is no way all of that crap needs to be on the big traditional WoO and USAC cars. Those series get them pushed off pretty quickly anyway.

Interesting that there are more commenters than votes, and more than ten times the number of views than votes...

Interesting that there are more commenters than votes, and more than ten times the number of views than votes...
Because the vote choices were to limited. We talked a little more about this during the race Monday. When a WOO or most any sprint car feature race starts it is an incredible sensory experience. If you don't get excited when those 24 cars drive into the first four turns at the start then I am not sure what will get your adrenaline flowing. When I think about a sprint car start vs NASCAR, the NASCAR cars are in slow motion...at any track. I have been saying that what NASCAR has been lacking is the wow factor. When I watch NASCAR I enjoy it, but rarely do I see the drivers doing something that has me on the edge of my seat. But, when I see a sprint car driver working the wheel and making moves in traffic, all I think of is what incredible skill (and for the guys those two other things) to make the moves they make. Heck I am getting excited just typing this!

The vote comparison is too restrictive.
I like modified racing on tracks less than three-quarter mile and Yuengling lager.
I like my RAM extended cab pickup and NASCAR on any road course or short track.
I like Pembroke Welsh Corgis and wingless sprints.
I like silver crown cars and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.
I like Indy cars on road courses and traveling to new places here and abroad.
Life is about choices. I like choices. I just don't think voting between NASCAR and a WoO race are comparable as that is like comparing lions to tigers. Are you confused yet?

Sprint car fan for ages. Only reason I watch Nascar is because of Larson . Only been to one Nascar race and that was a hot pass to the Daytona 500 in 2016 for my 40th anniversary, (compliments of he Larsons) I wont get to many races this year because of a retirement relocation to South Dakota, but will not miss the Knoxville Nationals, or all of Southern Iowa Speedweek for that matter.

Grew up on midgets/sprints in Indiana. Purist form of racing for me.

I love big sprint car, super late model and big block modified races on dirt , but I sure wish they were better at keeping a schedule and time management. They usually don’t have much of a schedule posted for fans, just hot laps start time. They usually try to cram too many support races (how many different versions of street stocks, hornets, etc... do I need in 1 night?) for back gate money. It seems pretty rare to get out of a big dirt track race before midnight. That’s not fun when it’s far from home , and especially when it’s like March or October and you are freezing in the grandstands for hours. I do love the races, and it doesn’t stop me from going, but I think keeping a better schedule and getting fans out early would be better. I often see people carrying out their kid who fell asleep and all of their stuff and heading home before the main event started. A big WoO sprint race is usually $35 or often more... that’s a lot of money to be spending for some people who can’t stay all night and have to leave before the a main. NASCAR short track races (stuff like k&n , Pintys, modified tour and Arca always keep a tight schedule and rarely finish later than 9 or 10 pm ).

I love big sprint car, super late model and big block modified races on dirt , but I sure wish they were better at keeping a schedule and time management. They usually don’t have much of a schedule posted for fans, just hot laps start time. They usually try to cram too many support races (how many different versions of street stocks, hornets, etc... do I need in 1 night?) for back gate money. It seems pretty rare to get out of a big dirt track race before midnight. That’s not fun when it’s far from home , and especially when it’s like March or October and you are freezing in the grandstands for hours. I do love the races, and it doesn’t stop me from going, but I think keeping a better schedule and getting fans out early would be better. I often see people carrying out their kid who fell asleep and all of their stuff and heading home before the main event started. A big WoO sprint race is usually $35 or often more... that’s a lot of money to be spending for some people who can’t stay all night and have to leave before the a main. NASCAR short track races (stuff like k&n , Pintys, modified tour and Arca always keep a tight schedule and rarely finish later than 9 or 10 pm ).
Eldora starting at 5 tonight...let's see what hapoens.

Eldora starting at 5 tonight...let's see what hapoens.
That’s good to see, especially when weather is an issue. Though, unless the weather is an issue I’d imagine that this will be a fairly well run show. Just WoO and USAC sprints . Quality stuff. Anything can run late, it happens, but when a track has a big touring series like WoO sprints or Lucas Oil late models along with 4 or 5 support divisions... that’s the issue to me. If I’m looking at shows for two series that I consider pretty much equal and one is running the main race plus 1 or 2 support races and the other one has the main race plus 3,4,5 support divisions... im going with the one with with low amount of support races , even if the ticket is more money. I don’t like To be stuck there all night watching endless cautions for single car spins of hornets and e-mods waiting for what I came to see...

That’s good to see, especially when weather is an issue. Though, unless the weather is an issue I’d imagine that this will be a fairly well run show. Just WoO and USAC sprints . Quality stuff. Anything can run late, it happens, but when a track has a big touring series like WoO sprints or Lucas Oil late models along with 4 or 5 support divisions... that’s the issue to me. If I’m looking at shows for two series that I consider pretty much equal and one is running the main race plus 1 or 2 support races and the other one has the main race plus 3,4,5 support divisions... im going with the one with with low amount of support races , even if the ticket is more money. I don’t like To be stuck there all night watching endless cautions for single car spins of hornets and e-mods waiting for what I came to see...
Sound like the Silver Crown race at Toledo a few weeks back would have been perfect for you with just one companion sprint car race.
Eldora got in all USAC heats and a couple WOO heats before the rain. I have never witnessed any track running a show as fast as they tried last night. As soon as one session ended the next was on the track. But ma nature eventually won out.

I agree. Even the bigger races have this problem. WoO @ LVMS had their show go on wayyyyyyyyy too long that practically everybody didn't have time to stay for the USAC Western States Midgets feature because it was 12:30 AM and 40 degrees and windy.

Sound like the Silver Crown race at Toledo a few weeks back would have been perfect for you with just one companion sprint car race.
Eldora got in all USAC heats and a couple WOO heats before the rain. I have never witnessed any track running a show as fast as they tried last night. As soon as one session ended the next was on the track. But ma nature eventually won out.

Yeah I really liked the schedule of that silver crown show, and it’s only 90min from home. Wanted to go but had some things that prevented me.
It’s great when weather forces a track to just hurry and get the show in, no playing around , intermission to sell more beers etc... Fastest dirt show I’ve been to I think was a WoO show at Salina Highbanks a couple of years ago. It was very clear from the forecast and the sky that the weather was coming. They had a support class or 2, but they didn’t even have them run much before the WoO ( I think the local cars only had hot laps before the WoO show was fully completed). After WoO heats, etc... there was just a little down time of a few minutes to let the teams prepare and then they rolled them out. Entire WoO show was done before 9pm I think. Pulled out of the track and a few miles down the road was hit by very heavy rain. They barely got that one in. I really like to see efforts like that, it’s very rare.
Sucks that eldora couldn’t finish the show before the rain came, but at least they tried ! I Can’t conplain if they try hard

I agree. Even the bigger races have this problem. WoO @ LVMS had their show go on wayyyyyyyyy too long that practically everybody didn't have time to stay for the USAC Western States Midgets feature because it was 12:30 AM and 40 degrees and windy.

Yeah , it happens , sometimes it’s out of everyone’s control even with just bigger classes racing. I just can’t stand it when it’s for intermissions or various junk car and e-mods classes running a never ending parade of caution laps for single car spins. I’d hate to bring someone who has never been to a race to a show like that, never ending yellows for lower divisions and getting out after midnight. Generally asphalt shows are ran more efficiently, though of course there are some badly rans shows at paved tracks. I feel like more than 75% of dirt races I go to are poorly ran and 90% of shows I go to at paved tracks are ran well... I will still go to both types of racing... but if in doubt, I will go to the show that I feel is more likely to be ran well.

I agree that many local tracks do this and run long, drawn out shows crammed with too many classes, and you've identified the primary reason (back gate money). I've shared this criticism for decades. Some tracks make a point to run a tight program instead, and this is my preference: three or maybe four classes, with 3-3.5 hours as a general target. Well planned and scheduled, 2 yellow rule and time limits for the lower classes to keep it moving, etc. Some tracks are forced into that approach due to local curfews, others do it voluntarily because they recognize that more isn't always better.

In my experience, WoO runs a fairly tight program at most tracks and are usually done by 10-11pm local time unless there are unusual factors involved. There are exceptions, such as the recent date at Perris Auto Speedway. The track clearly had control of the non-WoO portions of the program, and they take their sweet time.

I agree that many local tracks do this and run long, drawn out shows crammed with too many classes, and you've identified the primary reason (back gate money). I've shared this criticism for decades. Some tracks make a point to run a tight program instead, and this is my preference: three or maybe four classes, with 3-3.5 hours as a general target. Well planned and scheduled, 2 yellow rule and time limits for the lower classes to keep it moving, etc. Some tracks are forced into that approach due to local curfews, others do it voluntarily because they recognize that more isn't always better.

In my experience, WoO runs a fairly tight program at most tracks and are usually done by 10-11pm local time unless there are unusual factors involved. There are exceptions, such as the recent date at Perris Auto Speedway. The track clearly had control of the non-WoO portions of the program, and they take their sweet time.

I think the WoO sprint shows are usually run fairly well, though I’ve seen plenty of badly ran ones. WoO late model shows tend to be not ran as smoothly as the sprints IMO.
It’s rare that I see it, but when the big touring race is in town, I’d like to see more time limits set for the local classes. That way if it just turns into a caution fest, they can just get them off the track after the time limit .

Yeah I really liked the schedule of that silver crown show, and it’s only 90min from home. Wanted to go but had some things that prevented me.
It’s great when weather forces a track to just hurry and get the show in, no playing around , intermission to sell more beers etc... Fastest dirt show I’ve been to I think was a WoO show at Salina Highbanks a couple of years ago. It was very clear from the forecast and the sky that the weather was coming. They had a support class or 2, but they didn’t even have them run much before the WoO ( I think the local cars only had hot laps before the WoO show was fully completed). After WoO heats, etc... there was just a little down time of a few minutes to let the teams prepare and then they rolled them out. Entire WoO show was done before 9pm I think. Pulled out of the track and a few miles down the road was hit by very heavy rain. They barely got that one in. I really like to see efforts like that, it’s very rare.
Sucks that eldora couldn’t finish the show before the rain came, but at least they tried ! I Can’t conplain if they try hard
...and Eldora said that the value of our ticket was good at ANY race at Eldora prior to 9/1, which includes the truck race.

Back
Top Bottom