Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Christian

• elevator

• Total voters

samcurry

Administrator
I grew up listening to all kinds of music, my Parents wanted me to enjoy all types.
If you saw my cd collection youd understand, I have almost every type you can name.
They wanted me to play the piano and guitar, but i started on the drums. I play everything by ear, i took lessons usually to learn the very basics, but then quit to move faster than the teacher was.
I learned the drums from a xyzlophonist named jack riebel, he was a semi famous player that told me it would take 4-6 years to really learn to play. about 3 weeks into training, he walked into what he thought was a 4th yr student to see it was me. i quit soon after and started a band....:)

Sam...there are several other musicians in here.

I have been playing quitar for nearly 20 years now. Took bass lessons for about 6 months. Got damn good at it, but got bored with the band seen. Bought myself an accoustic guitar and somewhat taught myself to play. I hooked up with a guy who was classically trained and in the jazz emsemble at a local university. I learned a lot of classical, blues and jazz technique from him. I've taught guitar for several years too.

Is music how you hooked up with Paul?

I didn't take the poll, because I can't just pick one. I listen to just about everything, really depends on my mood. There are only a few types on music I don't listen to, Gangster Rap and well elevator music. Right now Segar is in my CD player but have the hip hop radio station on. My CD collection,of over 350 Cds last time I counted, has everythiing from Yani (I don't consider Yani elevator music just so ya know :) ) to Ozzy and everything in between. Really depends on my mood.

As for varied musical tastes...I feel ya

An example of cd's I have right now would include...

James Taylor
John Denver
Third Day
Sonicflood
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Albert Collins
Albert King
Bryan Duncan
Steven Curtis Chapman
Geoff Moore
Manheim Steamroller
Petra
Point of Grace
Bob Segar
America

and tons of christmas music :wub:

It all depends on what kind of mood I am in at the time.

yea this software sucks for multiple choice polls, but we are getting new and it will allow for that.
No i met paul thru fury. he and paul did some work on this site together. and on the vB version.
That is awsome though we have many muscians. I played in a couple groups for a while, did jingles for a local recording studio, and tested neil perts drums before they were shipped to him.

Ok the real test though is how many of ya got some bach or betohoven cd's? hehe

I'm an old time rock-n-roll type guy. I love the Beatles and the Stones, and I enjoy groups like the Eagles, The Doobie Brothers, Lynard Skynard, and The Steve Miller Band.

I chose Rock'n'Roll. But, that is just one of the types of music I listen to. From Toby Keith to Dave Matthews Band, Willie Nelson to Jason Mraz or Bob Seger. I have a wide variety of tastes when it comes to my music selections.

My music taste is very eclectic as well. I'm not fond of Rap or Opera.

Originally posted by samcurry@Oct 28 2003, 02:07 PM
I've got some Andres Segovia playing Bach. Does that count? ^_^

Classic Country music fan myself. Don't care much for the so call new country. Also like the lod time rock and roll. Beatles, Dave Clark 5, Beach Boys and Four Seasons. That kind of stuff.

I grew up listening to 70's and 80's pop and rock music. I love listening to music. I love to dance. I like today's pop music and rock, hip hop, like 50 cent, Justin Timberlake, Christina Aquilera, Nelly. Jennifer Lopez has good music. I love the band Aerosmith. As y'all can see, I like all types of music.

Of the choices there, heavy metal. But I also listen to alternative, punk, grunge, and some jazz. I can't stand rap or country though. <_<

As for instruments, I've been playing the trumpet since 5th grade, the baritone off and on since 8th grade, and the guitar for almost every spare moment of the last 2 years. I've performed live at school a couple times, and am in the Senior Lounge almost every day, strummin' and hummin' away. Bliss.

I like old rock and the old country stuff. I love Haggard and the Strangers, like the Eagles and Seger a lot too. In my truck right now I have Bob Seger's 'nine tonight' and something by Matchbox 20. I also like the whole latin pop music thing like Shakira,Paulina Rubio or Jenny Lopez. They are just h-----uh, talented.

Few years back I used to listen to Will Smith, then later on Coolio then 2pac and Dr. Dre. Then the genre and entire concept of rap changed when Eminem came along, the genre was entirely changed and then was sent to new lows.

Originally posted by samcurry@Oct 28 2003, 09:07 AM
and tested neil perts drums before they were shipped to him.

Man, that must of been one heck of a test! Neil was loaded on stage with the percussion!

Originally posted by samcurry@Oct 28 2003, 09:07 AM
I do (actually cassettes) ...also have Wagner, Mozart & a few others.

I like a wide variation of thigs also. Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly to the Rolling Stones & Zeppelin. Rush, Aerosmith, Foghat & the original Van Halen to Alice In Chains, Soundgarden & Metallica. Foreigner, when there was more than four. The Eagles, Pink Floyd. Faith Hill, Alan Jackson & Travis Tritt. REM, Dead Milkman & the Cure. Jane's Addiction & the Chilli Peppers. Mozart & Bach. I could go on... :lol:

17fan, it was always fun, id get a call and asked to demo some drum kits. a place in town "the percussion center" built his drums.
anyways id go into the studio and just wail on them. they would put in a couple rush songs for me to play with so he could hear them before he got them. I loved the real drums. I also tested his electronic ones. I didnt care for the feel but he liked them so that was all that mattered.

Originally posted by samcurry@Oct 29 2003, 04:53 PM
17fan, it was always fun, id get a call and asked to demo some drum kits. a place in town "the percussion center" built his drums.
anyways id go into the studio and just wail on them. they would put in a couple rush songs for me to play with so he could hear them before he got them. I loved the real drums. I also tested his electronic ones. I didnt care for the feel but he liked them so that was all that mattered.
I never considered Neil just a drummer...he is a percussionist (along with a great songwriter). I kinda lost touch with them after Signals & Grace Under Pressure...it just didn't seem the same.

i listen to christian mostly but there is som any genres of that christian rock-rap-heavy metal- comptemporary, but i do listen to secualr music from time to time to see what else is out there. I like Black eyed peas, Three doors down, linkin park from the secular side.

christian i like dc talk, zoe girl, third day, audio adrenaline, etc

Can'y pick one category myself either, I go from Emmy Lou to Black Sabbath to Earl Monroe to Big Momma Thornton.....etc. etc. Love it all except the scourge of the 70's............Disco. I'm a 30+ year on and off Bass player too. Still have all my epuipment i bought in high school.

Back
Top Bottom