What were your favorite moments of the 2016 season?

Johnny G

Team Owner
Two things stand out to me:

Jimmie Johnson equaling Petty & Earnhardt with 7 Championships

Martin Truex Jr absolutely blowing the doors off the field at the World 600

Joey winning the All Star race
Watching Chase Elliot and Kyle Larson race.. I'm looking forward to watching them two race for years.
Kenseth taking himself out of the chase karma styles.
That feeling when I saw Joey pass 5 cars in half a lap on the next to final restart at Homestead and thought he was about to win the championship.

From the closest Daytona 500 finish ever.. Truex leading all those laps, and to see JJ win his 7th.. it was a historic year in many ways really.

That's all I can think of atm lol

The first Dover race and the finish, that was some sweet racing.

This has nothing to do with the lottery championship the 48 team won but I was very impressed with the team after not performing to their standards for part of the year and them coming back and gaining momentum after Indy and winning 3 times. The team has been superb since inception and just when it looked like they might be running out of steam they roared back. I have a ton of respect for both JJ and Chad as staying at or near the top as they have for so many years ain't easy.

Shrub not winning since July was not a bad thing either.

I forgot a major one:

Matt Dibenedetto finishing 5th at Bristol

It's sad that nowadays this kind of thing is so rare that it becomes one of the more memorable moments of the year. This kind of thing used to happen just about every other race. I was watching a Martinsville race from '98 the other day and Rich Bickle finished 4th. I also watched the '96 Southern 500 the same day (I obviously had nothing better to do that day, lol) and saw Hut Stricklin lead the most laps and finish 2nd.

There was so much more parity back then, which sounds ridiculous considering Gordon won about half the races. Wider variety of lap leaders, more competition in the back of the pack, more occurences of backmarkers hitting on a setup and having a good day occasionally. There was actually hope for the bottom feeders back then.

JGR/FRR dominating the Daytona 500.

The Atlanta race, as it was the only one I attended this year.

The spring Dover race.

Larson's first win at Michigan.

the 3 cup races i attended (both dovers and Michigan # 1)
Seeing Truex win for the 2nd time (both at Dover)
Brad and Martin's 4 wins
Larson's 1st win
Carl's bump and run (not a Edwards fan but that was awesome)
Suarez last lap pass for the win at Michigan
Daytona and Phoenix finishes

The spring Atlanta, Dover, Phoenix, and Talladega Cup races, the Southern 500, road course races in every series, and the Eldora Truck race. Also Chase Elliott, Ryan Blaney, and Alex Bowman performing really well. Other than that, I thought this season was pretty boring and I think a lot of it had to do with Cup teams regaining the initial lost downforce after about a month.

How come no one mentioned all the Xfinity races dominated by a cup regular? Really though, I was pretty excited to see Gordon race again believing that he was done. It was also great seeing all the rookies performing so well.

16 great moments.

It's sad that nowadays this kind of thing is so rare that it becomes one of the more memorable moments of the year. This kind of thing used to happen just about every other race. I was watching a Martinsville race from '98 the other day and Rich Bickle finished 4th. I also watched the '96 Southern 500 the same day (I obviously had nothing better to do that day, lol) and saw Hut Stricklin lead the most laps and finish 2nd.

There was so much more parity back then, which sounds ridiculous considering Gordon won about half the races. Wider variety of lap leaders, more competition in the back of the pack, more occurences of backmarkers hitting on a setup and having a good day occasionally. There was actually hope for the bottom feeders back then.
I remember that Southern 500. Wanted Stricklin to pull it off BAD lol.

Logano’s 200 mph jack.

Jackmen of the 2 ‘n 48 stumbling into their cars’ right quarters durin’ pit stops.

My favorite moments:

Mike Looney winning the Martinsville Late Model race.

Tony Stewart winning at Sonoma.

Jimmie winning his seventh championship.

Kate Dallenbach's first win at Hickory.

Eric Winslow's first win at Carteret County Speedway.

That Myrtle Beach 400 finish.

That one Atlanta race where they experimented with no debris cautions.

Kyle Larson's first win

Being at the Dover spring race, which should have been Larson's first win if he used the bumper

Carl's bump and run

Stewart winning at Sonoma

Johnson winning number 7

Martinsville fall race. They really screwed up with the long caution scoring etc...
But a Martinville race finishing up with a long green run is almost always great imo.

Back
Top Bottom