What's your opinion of this racing paper's cover?

T

The_Mad_Hatter

www.aarn.com

It's a local paper I subscribe too. They cover all motorsports with an emphasis on DIRT modifieds and local short tracks. It sometimes irks me that they try to put as many accidents as possible on the front page every week. What's your opinion of this cover? What if every week the cover looked basically the same - two or three big wrecks. And keep in mind this paper is displayed rather prominently in local convenience stores and newspaper stands. If you weren't a racing fan and walked by this paper every week in the store what would you think?

I read Paul's post about reasons Nascar draws criticism. Do you think magazine covers like this hurt the sport? Help the sport? Or am I just overanalyzing?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not upset or trying to stir the pot or make a mole hill into a mountain. I've subscribed to the magazine for years and will continue to do so. I just think they could do a better job of choosing pics for the front page. To me this cover is not representative of the past weekend's racing events, be they local, national or international in nature.

Definately attention getting at its best. They do state that no one was injured in any of the wrecks. I'm still not sure I like to see the wrecks as the focus though.

Wrecks are the bitter sweet of any racing series,We fans want to check them out in hopes that no one was killed.Nascar web sights do the same thing any time there is a big wreck.;)

Unfortunately in our soceity it appears that this is what sells best, and bottom line is what most of these companies are concerned with. I don't know how many times I've seen in racing coverage where someones accomplishments are washed over by the sensational wreck, that's shown 2 or 3 times, in the 30 to 45 second time frame alocated for the racing News . It really galls me that that seems to be their only focus, and this applies not only just to racing but the entire news, weather and sports coverage on T.V. and in publications. Maybe that's why I a big fan of radio, there has to be more than just a picture to convey the story.

Look at the commercials for FOX and NBC, they almost always show wrecks, from the prior year, in the adds for the upcoming race. During this weeks race at Chicago, NBC kept showing the "action" at N.H. between Jeff and Robby.

Lets face it, people like carnage. Thats why everyone slows down for wrecks on the road, they want to see the crumbled vehicles. As a kid I got into NASCAR because of the wrecks, now as an adult, I know alot more about the sport and have a few drivers I'm cheering for and dont want to see ANYBODYS car in the wall.

Putting those pictures on the cover gets the attention of the people who would never see the magazine if they were staring at it.

well, it is what attracts the general publics eye, lets face it if there were no accidents and no cautions. there could be very long days at the track and you would have less fans. the factor of accidents, keeps the fans alert. once you are into a race like richmond, dover, bristol.... you cant tell whos racing for position(without the broadcast) people are attracted to excitement of IT COULD HAPPEN.:satisfied

The thrill of it all,Pushing an automobile to its limit,Sometimes that comes with a high price.That is what the fans expect to catch when it happens. :)

I wreckon that's about the size of it TRL.How is your weather,did the storms finnally take a break?:p

Hatter,

I have a whole stack of those mags and to be honest never once even thought about the cover! Some things seem to escape my radar screen;)

But, if ya notice at the website the mag supports a young 18 year old driver in the Hooters Pro Cup series name of Danny Sammons. This is his second year with the series and after a slow start is starting to sow success on the northern Pro Cup tour. Wanted to get a plug in for the team cause a friend of mine is his crew chief this year!!:D

Yeah I've heard about the Sammons boy. I have some family and friends over near Jennerstown Pa. I wish the USAR and ASA raced in Eastern Pa., but now that ISC owns Nazareth that will probably never happen.

Back
Top Bottom