When Dale Jr. wins the 2011 Chase.....

dpkimmel2001

Team Owner
What if? What if Dale Jr wins the 2011 championship? Would you, could you actually consider him the 2011 NASCAR Champion? How about Keselowski or Hamlin? What if one of those two won the title? How about Stewart? Where do you draw the line?

These four driver were all more than two races behind the leader in points after the first 26 races. A couple of them three races behind. Now 12 points separate them from the top spot with 10 to go. Are any of these four really championship material this year? They would have never been able to accomplish the top spot without the benefit of their points adjustment.

IMO NASCAR should be found guilty of Rule 12-A-4 Actions Detrimental to Stock Car Racing should one of these four be crowned NASCAR's 2011 Champion.

Fans can decide whatever the wish but history will show that the guy holding the cup after Homestead is the champion. Opinion doesn't change that.

I guess should add that I'll be disppointed with anyone winning other than Kenseth but it wont be because of the format.

It'd be interesting to see if Jr. actually has what it takes to win a Championship.

He doesn't, trust me, he doesn't. I'm surprised he got into The Chase at all.

The rules were already established when the season started, if any of the 12 win it is legit.

The rules were already established when the season started, if any of the 12 win it is legit.

Exactly!

Although would'nt it be interesting if a driver outside the Top Twelve scored more points than a driver in the Top Twelve.....thats the reason for NASCAR's Point Reset.

I second that motion. We may not agree, but we play by the rules.

Exactly!

You know, the thing about this is history has shown...the guys that barely squeak into the chase do not win it! It is simple as that. They may get in the chase..but just making the chase does not make the performance of your car improve or bring you better luck. If you were running good enough to be 10 or 12 in points...you will remain around that same area.

Dale Jr

Nothing against Dale Jr.
But they gave him three laps at Richmond.
With a few perks like that he could very well win the championship.

Nice topic, Dr Kimmel.

First, I'll say that the champ is the champ under whatever system they come up with. BUT.......

It's OK to talk about how the chase distorts that championship. I wrote a blog about this issue some time ago. I'll update it and post it later.

I'll admit that I was rooting for Kez to make the chase when he was in 18th place, but it would have been a bad joke to spot him 100 points to catch up and win the Cup. I'm glad he made the top 12 on points, and if he wins now, he'll be more legit than many of the top ten because he'll have to do it without the 9 bonus points. The WC actually screwed Denny and Brad.

First, I'll say that the champ is the champ under whatever system they come up with. BUT.......

It's OK to talk about how the chase distorts that championship. I wrote a blog about this issue some time ago. I'll update it and post it later.

I'll admit that I was rooting for Kez to make the chase when he was in 18th place, but it would have been a bad joke to spot him 100 points to catch up and win the Cup. I'm glad he made the top 12 on points, and if he wins now, he'll be more legit than many of the top ten because he'll have to do it without the 9 bonus points. The WC actually screwed Denny and Brad.

I'm glad some gets the idea behind this thread. Of course whoever wins this thing is the champion of our sport. I'm just trying to find out how the fans will look at it. I guarandamntee you that if he won this thing there would be a huge outcry. I'm a Jr. fan and I sure would celebrate him winning the title but if he were to that this year I could never compare that to champions of the past, any of them. The rules are the rules. Like I've said before, I have to live with them but I don't have to like them.

It's not as true with the other three, but should Jr pull together a good run and pull off the championship, you wouldn't be able to take a plane trip anywhere, becasue the black helicopters would inundate the skies....

I like what MOEJOE said. There ain't no chase in Trucks - and they have the closest point contest in the history of the series.

IMO, the Truck Series is the most entertaining series of the Top 3.

If you don't like the chase, watch the trucks!

It's not as true with the other three, but should Jr pull together a good run and pull off the championship, you wouldn't be able to take a plane trip anywhere, becasue the black helicopters would inundate the skies....

yup. and then kurt could really whine about the hendricks equipment!

Okay Now thats an entertaining commercial, did you find that on Comedy Central?

They have been showing these for a while now. I like the one with Kyle Busch where he keeps calling Joey Logano in the middle of the night and waking up.

"WHO IS THIS?"

"Who is this?"

lol

ESPN. That's one of the new ones that have just come out.

I get to watch very very little tv I normaly tape the races and watch them at my conveniance....speeeeding thru the commercials ;) I do get to watch the night races LIVE though... but then I ignore the commercials :D

Jr. just may be able to win this thing yet.

[youtube]KNaob-jsvGA[/youtube]

Dale Jr will do anything to win, well except bump Harvick back at Martinsville:rolleyes:

Honestly i'm a fan of the 88 but I think of the drivers mentioned in this thread, if Kes won I would have no issue's with that. The guy drove his arse off with busted extremities & won, the blue deuce has a lot of heart and that's such a beautiful paint job on that car, yeah if he won that'd be cool. Now on the other hand, if Jr painted his car a solid color & then won Talladega, Charlotte, Texas, Phoenix & then the championship I wouldn't have any issue's with that either but I see the former happening wayyy before the latter...

I would LMAO if JR came out and won like half the chase races and blew the rest of the chasers away.

My dad always jokes pretty much saying the same thing saying "Jr is going to win the first 5 chase races then finish top 5 the next 5"

If only that would happen but he won't even be in the top after the first 5 races.

Who would have ever thought that Trevor Bayne would have won the Daytona 500 this year, seeing this was only his second Sprint car start. The winner is the winner, as long as they follow the rules.

Who would have ever thought that Trevor Bayne would have won the Daytona 500 this year, seeing this was only his second Sprint car start. The winner is the winner, as long as they follow the rules.

Heck, RP races area crapshoot. anyone has a shot at thoes, as along as you can old on to that steering wheel.

Heck, RP races area crapshoot. anyone has a shot at thoes, as along as you can old on to that steering wheel.

There's Alot more finese driving and traffic driving skills involved in any type of restricted racing then people give it credit for. It's Damn hard to Win when ALL the cars are capable of the same speeds!
Having said that unfourtunately Luck and Politics play a huge role in the Restrictor plate races also :(

Back
Top Bottom