where are all the Ford Fans?

ted@economy

in the interest of equal time
Not being a Ford fan , I was waiting for someone else to bring this up , but isn't Carl Edwards in first place ? I am a big Jimmy Fennig fan and love that he is representing the old age pensioners .

Is the era of being a manufacturer fan still around? At one time it seemed to be a big deal to many NASCAR fans but I guess I'm not longer exposed to people that root for their driver because of she brand he drives. Personally I don't care what brand my driver drives and it doesn't influence my decision on what vehicles I purchase.

It just hasn't mattered much since NASCAR went to the ChefOrToy (COT) type race car.

It just hasn't mattered much since NASCAR went to the ChefOrToy (COT) type race car.
And now how about the points? Sure Carl Edwards is in first on the sheet and even first in the garage but is he really first? I think it is more like he's in a five way tie for first. With the points now mainly going to be used to fill in the end of the Chase field after fall Richmond, how much do they really matter to those having wins? I can't see them exceeding 16 winners by fall Richmond where they have to rely on points to seed those drivers/teams with wins.

And now how about the points? Sure Carl Edwards is in first on the sheet and even first in the garage but is he really first? I think it is more like he's in a five way tie for first. With the points now mainly going to be used to fill in the end of the Chase field after fall Richmond, how much do they really matter to those having wins? I can't see them exceeding 16 winners by fall Richmond where they have to rely on points to seed those drivers/teams with wins.

Exactly! On the other side of the coin, being 17th doesn't mean spit right now...

Last edited:
Sad , we've lost a big part of racing . Gone the way of bias ply tires . RIP POINTS LEAD. :(

Ford fan here, but just Penske I guess. Don't really care for the Roush guys, so I dont know if that makes me a "ford fan". Still wish Penske was driving a Dodge :(

Sad , we've lost a big part of racing . Gone the way of bias ply tires . RIP POINTS LEAD. :(
That's one of the reasons I hate this new Chase format so much. The points have meant less and less with each new iteration of the Chase, and now they're damn near irrelevant. A system where a guy that's 25th in points is ahead of a guy that's 3rd in points just because he has a win seems a little screwy to me.

Im a Ford fan.. I love that Carl is leading the points.. but like Dp said it doesn't mean too much. Also Carl didn't necessarily run well to get there... the others had bad days. I don't expect to see him stay there. I am also more of a Penske fan than a Ford fan. So its not that huge to me for that reason too. I like to see them running well but only because it means Joey and Brad are running well lol I like Carl but that's about it out of Roush.. good for him.

Does manufacture even play a role in racing anymore? I mean the cars all run identical engines at this point, which I doubt came from a Ford, Chevy or Toyota car.

Does manufacture even play a role in racing anymore? I mean the cars all run identical engines at this point, which I doubt came from a Ford, Chevy or Toyota car.
Come from a Ford, Chevy, or Toyota car? They don't come from cars lol.. theyre put into cars .. but they do come from the Ford, Chevy, and Toyota engine manufacturers... :p

Is the era of being a manufacturer fan still around? At one time it seemed to be a big deal to many NASCAR fans but I guess I'm not longer exposed to people that root for their driver because of she brand he drives. Personally I don't care what brand my driver drives and it doesn't influence my decision on what vehicles I purchase.

Tony said he lost half his fans when JGR switched to Toyota and got them back when he went back to Chevy, so it's still around. I've met a few fans who pull for just 1 brand or the other.

Come from a Ford, Chevy, or Toyota car? They don't come from cars lol.. theyre put into cars .. but they do come from the Ford, Chevy, and Toyota engine manufacturers... :p

I doubt they even come from the manufacturers. :p

Not being a Ford fan , I was waiting for someone else to bring this up , but isn't Carl Edwards in first place ? I am a big Jimmy Fennig fan and love that he is representing the old age pensioners .

I expect that most Ford fans are just to depressed. The monday morning coffees are way to strong and harsh for a Ford fan, and it still is on this tuesday morning.

If they were to drive by like a group bikers do on weekends, I would treat them respectfully as if it were a funeral procession. But for the Grace of God there go I....

I smack talk a little, but the race cars are in a different universe now, I wish it meant more, but it doesn't.

I would like to get that back, but they will need to be much closer to the actual products to work. We are so far removed it would probably take a decade of intense restructuring to happen.

That's one of the reasons I hate this new Chase format so much. The points have meant less and less with each new iteration of the Chase, and now they're damn near irrelevant. A system where a guy that's 25th in points is ahead of a guy that's 3rd in points just because he has a win seems a little screwy to me.

Don't you have to be so high in points for that win to count.

Yeah, the HMS, ECR, RoushYates, TRD and Triad engines are all identical. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I guess Ford is making money by being in NASCAR otherwise they wouldn't be there, but I've often wondered why they hang around when they just constantly get their teeth kicked in by Chevrolet. Seems to me that always getting publicly shown up by your main competitor wouldn't be good from a marketing standpoint. It's going on 10 years now since a Ford last won the championship, and they've only got 5 in the last 44 years. GM teams have won 33 championships in the same timespan (including 32 of the last 38), and they win the manufacturers title year after year. Toyota hasn't done much to stop the Chevy juggernaut either, but they're more in competition with Honda and Nissan rather than Chevy and Ford. I wouldn't mind seeing a Ford team take the title this year, for Ford's sake.

The point standings are still a good indicator of how well any given team is currently doing, so they're not completely worthless.

Brand loyalty isn't what it once was - there's probably a reason but I'll leave that to the sociologists. I'm loyal to drivers. Once upon a time I was a Mopar fan but as with many of my car purchases I'm in the orphan car group.

I'm a Ford fan. Used to be a huge Mark Martin fan when he drove a Ford after he went to Chevy couldn't put for him anymore. Now days I pull for anyone driving a Ford or Toyota or a Dodge when they were in nascar. Tho I'm a Danica and a Kyle Larson fan, I can't stand Government Motors.

I think brand loyalty has been a big part of Nascar and continues to be on a smaller scale.

What I don't get is an intense dislike for a driver because of the car he drives. He or she didn't make the car.

If the police are trying to save my life, I'm not going to refuse because they're driving a Crown Vic or trun down a UPS package because the delivery truck is Dodge or not take an ambulance that was made by Ford.

It's perplexing, for me anyway.

I think brand loyalty has been a big part of Nascar and continues to be on a smaller scale.

What I don't get is an intense dislike for a driver because of the car he drives. He or she didn't make the car.

If the police are trying to save my life, I'm not going to refuse because they're driving a Crown Vic or trun down a UPS package because the delivery truck is Dodge or not take an ambulance that was made by Ford.

It's perplexing, for me anyway.
The brand-related dislike definitely exists. Despite my loyalties, I like most of the Chevy drivers and pretty much all of the Ford drivers (although I can't stand Jack Roush, nothing against his drivers though). Gonna take a lot more than a bowtie or a blue oval to make me root against someone.

Last edited:

I'm obviously a Ford fan but like others have said the points lead virtually means nothing I'm more worried about wins. I'm one of the few brand loyal out there. It is what it is.

Yeah, the HMS, ECR, RoushYates, TRD and Triad engines are all identical. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

So where can I get the same make and model engine that Johnson used in California? I'd like to install it into my own car.

It used to be huge back in the 80s, but kind of died out when all the cars looked the same. I think if the cars had more identity and actually looked like the cars you can buy it might be a little different, then again it's hard to tell street cars apart from each other except for front ends these days!

The brand-related dislike definitely exists. Despite my loyalties, I like most of the Chevy drivers and pretty much all of the Ford drivers (although I can't stand Jack Roush, nothing against his drivers though). Gonna take a lot more than a bowtie or a blue oval to make me root against someone.

Do you think Nascar lost a bunch of fans when Dodge left?

I hear what you are saying. Joe Gibbs disgusts me for reasons only I can understand "I think". With that said I can't get myself to even consider rooting for one of his drivers.
I've also said this before, but I do not care for Kenseth, so even though I have family that works for Jack Roush, both building cars and in pit crew, I could not root for any of the Roush drivers, but now that Kenseth is at Gibbs I now can actually root for my family's team.
Kenseth being at Gibbs is good for me because now I only hate on 3 drivers! :punkrocke

Back
Top Bottom