Where are they now? – Ernie Irvan

I was a fan of his. The article talked about how he got started, his accident recovery and his retirement. I always felt his nick name Swervin Irvin was not justified. He caused a couple high profile accidents (every driver has caused an accident) but for awhile he was unjustly blamed for any accident he was caught up in.

Yeah. Swervin' "Irvin"................................

The Death Star was never the same after Irvan’s accident and his departure.

The final indignity was Sadler drivin’ what was left of it.

I was at Martinsville when he got his first win in the 28. It's probably still my favorite race I've attended. A lot of people had tears in their eyes.

He was money in that 28 car until he was injured. Some guys might have a title or 2 less if he was able to stay healthy and with McReynolds. I don't think I ever saw someone jump in another ride and immediately run that good.

He was money in that 28 car until he was injured. Some guys might have a title or 2 less if he was able to stay healthy and with McReynolds. I don't think I ever saw someone jump in another ride and immediately run that good.
he couldn't get past Dale in a Chevy or a ford.

I knew he was badly injured, but never knew he had suffered a basilar skull fracture. Kind of crazy he continued racing.

he couldn't get past Dale in a Chevy or a ford.
LOL........... In the minds of you Sr. fans.......... No one ever got past Dale!!!!!!!!!!!

That's what we call selective memory......

I think the article said he won 18 Winston Cup races..... I would bet my bottom dollar that all 18 races he won..... Ralph Dale Earnhardt was entered in them and driving.....

;)

LOL........... In the minds of you Sr. fans.......... No one ever got past Dale!!!!!!!!!!!

That's what we call selective memory......

I think the article said he won 18 Winston Cup races..... I would bet my bottom dollar that all 18 races he won..... Ralph Dale Earnhardt was entered in them and driving.....

;)
the quote I was replying to said "Some guys might have a title or 2 less if he was able to stay healthy and with McReynolds". not hard to figure out what driver he was talking about, being a ford guy. sure he won racing Dale was racing in, but not the title.

the quote I was replying to said "Some guys might have a title or 2 less if he was able to stay healthy and with McReynolds". not hard to figure out what driver he was talking about, being a ford guy. sure he won racing Dale was racing in, but not the title.
I understand what you were referring to now.... sorry..... Your post was a little vague......

Ernie was a demon on California short tracks. Unloved by his competitors at Stockton Speedway.

He was on his way to winning the title the year he had his accident. He was way ahead of Sr. in the points. Guess we'll never know for sure.

I got a chance to meet him several years ago. He was very nice, but you could tell he suffers some from that injury.

He was on his way to winning the title the year he had his accident. He was way ahead of Sr. in the points. Guess we'll never know for sure.

I got a chance to meet him several years ago. He was very nice, but you could tell he suffers some from that injury.
He was actually 27 points behind Earnhardt at the time of his accident, but it definitely would have been a two-horse race between Earnhardt and Irvan for the '94 title had Ernie not gotten hurt.

Yup, Sr fans think it's all about him.

I understand what you were referring to now.... sorry..... Your post was a little vague......
No you were right the first time. Some Sr fans think it's all about him, even still. While Ernie MAY have took it from Sr that year, I was referring more to those who won titles since then too. Like DJ and Jeff Gordon. Gordon, who we KNOW ended any chances for Sr. to win another BTW. So it stands to reason had Irvan stayed healthy and in the 28 could have won a title or 2 or ?

The Countdown to Daytona (‘tona or Tonya, skooze me) thread is a lot of fun, one of my favorites every year, but nothing on this thing beats the comments of the dedicated fan for a chuckle or three.

Thanks, folks.

He was actually 27 points behind Earnhardt at the time of his accident, but it definitely would have been a two-horse race between Earnhardt and Irvan for the '94 title had Ernie not gotten hurt.
it can go the other way to. in 96 when Dale was making a run for his 8th championship, Ernie put Dale in the wall at the Die Hard 500 ending his chance at number 8.

it can go the other way to. in 96 when Dale was making a run for his 8th championship, Ernie put Dale in the wall at the Die Hard 500 ending his chance at number 8.

I think Jimmie Johnson is the only driver in history with no stories about how he missed out on a title once.

Back
Top Bottom