Where Are They Now? ‘Handsome Harry’ Gant is still rolling

A pic taken of the Skoal Bandit Olds at MIS in 1989. Those were the days!

Skoal Bandit Olds at MIS.jpg

What an awkward interview. I hope the under-tone of bitterness was injected by writer Jerry Bonkowski, rather than by Harry Gant himself. Harry had an excellent career... and it surely would have been even better if he had reached the major leagues at a younger age, as all of his contemporaries did.

What an awkward interview. I hope the under-tone of bitterness was injected by writer Jerry Bonkowski, rather than by Harry Gant himself. Harry had an excellent career... and it surely would have been even better if he had reached the major leagues at a younger age, as all of his contemporaries did.

JMO but I think you are seeing things not present as neither Harry nor the tone of the article seem the least bit bitter. As you said Harry had a great career and he certainly made the best of the equipment that was made available to him and is beloved by many.

Harry has attended 2 races in the past 21 years and laments the fact that he no longer knows anyone.

Harry has attended 2 races in the past 21 years and laments the fact that he no longer knows anyone.

“It was very strange being there because I really didn’t know anybody there,” he said. “I didn’t know any of the crew guys, crew chiefs, drivers, didn’t know anybody except just a few older people I knew and older fans."

I went back to my old high school 17 years ago and It was very strange being there because I really didn’t know anybody there. I didn’t know any of the teachers, students, or administrators, didn’t know anybody except just a few of the janitors and the old football coach.

In my best Clara Peller impersonation "Where's the passionate expression of grief" as in either situation you can't lament something unless you are upset or grieved by the situation no?

If Mr. Gant wanted to remain involved at the Cup level, he could have done that without too much difficulty. The author couched it as lamentable.

I wonder what happened to Harry's grandson's racing thing?

If Mr. Gant wanted to remain involved at the Cup level, he could have done that without too much difficulty. The author couched it as lamentable.

I wonder what happened to Harry's grandson's racing thing?

Yeah, I figured you were seeing things that weren't present and I appreciate you validating it.

Harry is probably the only driver that I never heard of anyone disliking. He was always my dads favorite driver.
I agree...... he..... along with Mark Martin......

I have the utmost respect for Harry..... he came in late..... always raced like a gentleman...... was a threat to win at every race in that Leo Jackson car.... a single car team..... (I miss the single car teams being a threat today... there used to be so many of them)......... I was so much pulling for him to win that 5 in a row...... (and he came so close... he'd have pulled it off if his brakes hadn't given way at Martinsville)....He finished second to Sr.

I always loved that man and was a big fan....

I don't care if he walked away and never came back to any races.... he paid his dues...... Jr. Johnson walked away..... I don't hear about Mark coming back........

I can guarantee you 1 damned thing....... if I ever get to retire from MY job........ they won't EVER see my butt back there again............

I ran into Harry a while back at a show we were attending in West Jefferson, NC. He said he had been doing some carpentry work, of late.
He spent a good bit of his personal time meeting fans and signing autographs even though he was out with family and friends.
Harry Gant is a genuine gentleman.

I ran into Harry a while back at a show we were attending in West Jefferson, NC. He said he had been doing some carpentry work, of late.
He spent a good bit of his personal time meeting fans and signing autographs even though he was out with family and friends.
That's what I always liked about Harry........ he wasn't a professional Nascar driver........ he was a roofer and carpenter..... that was his trade.... all these guys now would be down on their knees and calling for mama to come get them if they had to keep up with Harry for a day......

You from around West Jefferson by any chance?

I don't see many things the way you do.

That's a point for me.

I have no problem disagreeing as there is no basis in fact or inference that Harry lamented not going to the track. Of course you already know this and for whatever reason just feel like being obstinate and contrarian and that is OK too........:D

I agree...... he..... along with Mark Martin......

I have the utmost respect for Harry..... he came in late..... always raced like a gentleman...... was a threat to win at every race in that Leo Jackson car.... a single car team..... (I miss the single car teams being a threat today... there used to be so many of them)......... I was so much pulling for him to win that 5 in a row...... (and he came so close... he'd have pulled it off if his brakes hadn't given way at Martinsville)....He finished second to Sr.

I always loved that man and was a big fan....

I don't care if he walked away and never came back to any races.... he paid his dues...... Jr. Johnson walked away..... I don't hear about Mark coming back........

I can guarantee you 1 damned thing....... if I ever get to retire from MY job........ they won't EVER see my butt back there again............

Yeah, when you think about it the idea of Harry or most people wanting to hang around their former place of employment after they have retired is crazy.

I have no problem disagreeing as there is no basis in fact or inference that Harry lamented not going to the track. Of course you already know this and for whatever reason just feel like being obstinate and contrarian and that is OK too........:D
Ridiculous.

His lament was not about being absent from the racetrack. You think I'm seeing things that aren't there? LOL

Every time I have met Harry he has always been friendly and willing to chat. He always struck me more as just a regular guy that happened to drive in Winston Cup instead of someone high and mighty.

Read it again, you delirious goof.

How did The Leaves do tonight?

I live 70 miles north of west Jefferson in Max Meadows VA. Where 2 Interstates cross.
The hub of Bristol, Martinsville, and Charlotte

The double wrong-way concurrency.

I'm from not far from there(Floyd Co), in fact, my wife and I were looking at buying a house in Max Meadows a while back. I've got a few friends there too. Wonderful place.

I live 70 miles north of west Jefferson in Max Meadows VA. Where 2 Interstates cross.
The hub of Bristol, Martinsville, and Charlotte

The double wrong-way concurrency.

We're practically neighbors. I live roughly 60 miles from you. I have in laws up your way so I get up there quite a bit too. Maybe I'll see you around between here and there sometime.

He was the first driver I EVER saw wheel a car on track. First race I ever went to was Bristol Valleydale Meats 500 in 90. He was first to qualify and at THAT moment I was hooked.

I can't thing of a moment Harry was ever part of any issue or questionable driving. He just went out there and got the job done. If he screwed up, the other competitor knew it wasn't intentional and it was forgotten. And that car, IMO, is iconic. Quenticential or however it's spelled NASCAR in the 90's.

I got to see Gant win three times, Pocono 1990, Dover 1991 (part of his Mr. September streak) and Dover 1992. He was such a smooth customer on and off the track.

Back
Top Bottom