Who is the greatest Crew Cheif of all time?

N

NewmanFan

Who does everyone think is the greatest crew cheif of all time? My pick would be Jeff Hammond just because I loved him and DW together no im kidding about him being the best-----My pick would be either Waddell Wilson, Larry McReynolds or as bad as I hate to say this Gary Nelson.

When Ray Evernham was with the #24 car there was no one better. Those two could turn a 20th place car into a winner in a matter of a few hours. It was incredible to watch them win some of the races that they did. Ahhhh.......the good ol days.;)

Yeah I would have to agree with you on that one also.

Ray Evernham and Jeff Gordon were magic. What about Dale Inman and Richard Petty, they seemed to do a pretty good job.

Leonard Wood. The Wood brothers are directly responsible for the modern pit stop. Waddell Wilson wasn't bad either.

I Will go with Dale Inman "Statistically the best ever"

Dale Inman has the best stats

Leonard Wood, as TWF points out, was the first to grasp the significance of the pit stop to create a race win.

For me the crew chief of all time was Jake Elder. Call "Suitcase Jake" in and he'd reach into his suitcase, pull out his notes and tape measures and adjust your car. Guarantee you will go faster than you ever have next time that car hit the track. NO matter whose car or who the driver, isn't that what a CC is all about?

Lets not forget the great car builder mind of Smokey Unick.

He came to the track with a scaled down car that beat up on the competition and was also legal at the time!

Evernham is also a very good at using the rules to his advantage. I am really wondering if he is the guy that first brought Traction control into nascar??????/

Dale Inman was great and so was Jake Elder as was Leanord Wood al great crew chiefs im just not real big on the whole Richard Petty racing deal.

Richard Petty was truly one of the greats of all time! He was very smooth on the track (much like Jeff Gordon is now) He new how to save his car for the end of the race to at least have a shot at winning! He could also duel with another driver in the last lap to win a race! The Petty's were big time innovators too. That certainly didn't hurt Richard on the track!

The crew chief from days of thunder....

Im thinking either Smokey Yunick or Ray Evernham

Ray Evernham. Him and Jeff Gordon both where young blood when they started off in this sport and dominated it through the mid to late 1990s. Just think how dominaion that team would be if Evernham stayed with them. I know Robbie has done a good job with the team but nothin like what Evernham did.

Suitcase Jake....the best hired gun ever. Lord I had forgotten him. But I'm still sticking with Leonard Wood.

Curiously, no love for Ernie Elliott...

I think Ernie was more well known for being an Engine Builder!

This should (LITE) a fire under you Rusty fans....What about Robin Pemberton do you think he is worthy???????

If we are really going by stats you have throw in Jeff Hammond, Kirk Shelmerdine, and Andy Petree---as well as maybe even Todd Parrott

Back
Top Bottom