Who moderates this forum?

Old 97

Team Owner
I think we all already know what is and isn’t acceptable. Notifying the individuals of their respective deleted posts would be an extra, unnecessary burden on the mod staff.
I disagree. I have seen several political posts stand with no moderation and I have made very subtle political insinuations and had them deleted.
Although I have never reported any of the other's comments and it's entirely possible that some snowflake reported mine.😜

BobbyFord

Secret Agent Man
Contributor
I disagree. I have seen several political posts stand with no moderation and I have made very subtle political insinuations and had them deleted.
Although I have never reported any of the other's comments and it's entirely possible that some snowflake reported mine.😜
Me too, but I’m not sure it’s on purpose or because there is favoritism.

RayinTX

Team Owner
Contributor
Maybe some of y'all need to take this not so serious...again, I get that there are some irritating posters, but to keep going on and on about favorites, who moderates, how often, etc...either get out or deal with it

fury

Internet god with an inferiority complex
Staff member
Fury . 20 year original..
Not quite original, but close.

I knew Paul, the founder, introduced him to Sam, someone I was running a couple forums with. (By that I mean I'd take care of the server, step in as admin/mod where needed. I'm a real easy going guy, cool with whatever, and try to make sure it's generally a good vibe.)

Some time later, Paul sold the forum to Sam, and we added it to our collection.

Sam needed to let go of the online empire a while back, so everything fell on me by default.

I don't know why y'all put up with me, I'm terrible at this "job". But in the minutes and sometimes hours I have available each month, I try to keep the oil changed, keep the gears turning, and an eye on things like this.

In the many years I've been running and sometimes participating in forums, I've seen what happens when toxic posters are left to run rampant--it tends to run off the mods & admins, and then the place is doomed. I've also seen what happens when the moderation is too heavy-handed, so as to suppress and discourage otherwise valuable contributors to the discourse. Hopefully we've struck a mostly-happy medium here. Not perfect, but not terrible.

Sure, we'll miss some stuff, we'll apply a light touch where an iron fist seems more appropriate, or vice-versa. We're human. And if we moderated one, surely there's another few posts just like it that we should've also moderated. That especially sucks for the people whose post got blasted while they see 5 more they feel are worse. I know the feeling. Alas, forums don't pay us enough to figure out how to do that consistently for all of the hundreds (or thousands) of posts per day.

Suggestions like "just ban a few problem posters" aren't really that feasible, because you ban a few, then some other few will become the new "problem". Pretty soon you wind up with nobody left to post at all, problem or otherwise.

Some of the suggestions are worth considering, though. But there are also some technical roadblocks. XenForo (the forum software we use here) for example doesn't have a way for a moderator to easily/privately leave the poster a note about why it was removed. So it would require a PM, and that would be both inconvenient and non-anonymous. I don't have as much time as I used to for things like finding or making the appropriate tweak to add that kind of stuff. I could see a way to work around it, but then that's making the job 3x harder. I'm not going to ask that of people who are already unpaid volunteers working a largely thankless job (if you go out of your way to thank us, you're one of the reasons we're here)

As Magnethead said, I got a day job. And a side gig, technically. So it's a labor of love for all of the staff here. This forum currently doesn't run ads, doesn't sell your data, and doesn't do analytics. It costs some money to run. Not a lot, mind you--I've managed to figure out how to shave 97% off the hosting costs earlier this year. But it shares time and space with my other online empires that are paying the bills so that we don't have to worry about server rent at least. The contributions (thank you!) help make sure we can stay up to date with licenses, patches, and paid goodies.

This means we won't need to do things like ads, selling data, or becoming some mindless corporate dystopian automaton that has a strict "no joy" policy*. I'm sure some of the moguls that want to buy this forum would turn it into just such a thing. It's a unique beautiful place on the internet in an age where half the websites you visit now have about a dozen "x" buttons to click just to get through to the actual content. Just the best racing forums on the planet, minus the crap. (Well, most of the crap. There is still that Tapatalk ad on mobile, but at least it's semi-relevant, and we get their service for free, which is pretty nice)

I appreciate the views shared in this thread, and I hope you'll continue to lend us some grace. Moderating isn't easy.

*: I reserve the right to do any or all of, but not limited to, the aforementioned. I mean, if someone gave me a million bucks, there isn't much I wouldn't do.

jaqua19

Team Owner

I knew Paul, the founder, introduced him to Sam, someone I was running a couple forums with. (By that I mean I'd take care of the server, step in as admin/mod where needed. I'm a real easy going guy, cool with whatever, and try to make sure it's generally a good vibe.)

Sam needed to let go of the online empire a while back, so everything fell on me by default.

I don't know why y'all put up with me, I'm terrible at this "job". But in the minutes and sometimes hours I have available each month, I try to keep the oil changed, keep the gears turning, and an eye on things like this.

In the many years I've been running and sometimes participating in forums, I've seen what happens when toxic posters are left to run rampant--it tends to run off the mods & admins, and then the place is doomed. I've also seen what happens when the moderation is too heavy-handed, so as to suppress and discourage otherwise valuable contributors to the discourse. Hopefully we've struck a mostly-happy medium here. Not perfect, but not terrible.

Sure, we'll miss some stuff, we'll apply a light touch where an iron fist seems more appropriate, or vice-versa. We're human. And if we moderated one, surely there's another few posts just like it that we should've also moderated. That especially sucks for the people whose post got blasted while they see 5 more they feel are worse. I know the feeling. Alas, forums don't pay us enough to figure out how to do that consistently for all of the hundreds (or thousands) of posts per day.

Suggestions like "just ban a few problem posters" aren't really that feasible, because you ban a few, then some other few will become the new "problem". Pretty soon you wind up with nobody left to post at all, problem or otherwise.

Some of the suggestions are worth considering, though. But there are also some technical roadblocks. XenForo (the forum software we use here) for example doesn't have a way for a moderator to easily/privately leave the poster a note about why it was removed. So it would require a PM, and that would be both inconvenient and non-anonymous. I don't have as much time as I used to for things like finding or making the appropriate tweak to add that kind of stuff. I could see a way to work around it, but then that's making the job 3x harder. I'm not going to ask that of people who are already unpaid volunteers working a largely thankless job (if you go out of your way to thank us, you're one of the reasons we're here)

As Magnethead said, I got a day job. And a side gig, technically. So it's a labor of love for all of the staff here. This forum currently doesn't run ads, doesn't sell your data, and doesn't do analytics. It costs some money to run. Not a lot, mind you--I've managed to figure out how to shave 97% off the hosting costs earlier this year. But it shares time and space with my other online empires that are paying the bills so that we don't have to worry about server rent at least. The contributions (thank you!) help make sure we can stay up to date with licenses, patches, and paid goodies.

This means we won't need to do things like ads, selling data, or becoming some mindless corporate dystopian automaton that has a strict "no joy" policy*. I'm sure some of the moguls that want to buy this forum would turn it into just such a thing. It's a unique beautiful place on the internet in an age where half the websites you visit now have about a dozen "x" buttons to click just to get through to the actual content. Just the best racing forums on the planet, minus the crap. (Well, most of the crap. There is still that Tapatalk ad on mobile, but at least it's semi-relevant, and we get their service for free, which is pretty nice)

I appreciate the views shared in this thread, and I hope you'll continue to lend us some grace. Moderating isn't easy.

*: I reserve the right to do any or all of, but not limited to, the aforementioned. I mean, if someone gave me a million bucks, there isn't much I wouldn't do.
/thread.

Lol

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

BobbyFord

Secret Agent Man
Contributor
I appreciate @fury and hope this place never gets sold to some corporate conglomerate. What we have here is what makes this place truly special. No ads, relatively small community, solid moderation.
Nothing is perfect but this is the best racing forum on the interwebs.
Everyone behind the scenes, thank you for what you do for us.

Old 97

Team Owner

I found this forum when Jayski went commercial, and it has since become my daily dose of racing.
Thank you for all that you do!!!

Old 97

Team Owner
Maybe some of y'all need to take this not so serious...again, I get that there are some irritating posters, but to keep going on and on about favorites, who moderates, how often, etc...either get out or deal with it
Ummmmm..........
The exact same could be said about certain threads that you don't care for.

jaqua19

Team Owner
I appreciate @fury and hope this place never gets sold to some corporate conglomerate. What we have here is what makes this place truly special. No ads, relatively small community, solid moderation.
Nothing is perfect but this is the best racing forum on the interwebs.
Everyone behind the scenes, thank you for what you do for us.
I'll toot this horn too. I've been on a variety of different forums with active moderation and just an eclectic group of posters.

Comic book forums, NBA forums, and other racing forums. (SRD was my first).

Racing-forums is the only forum I'm active on now and it's without question the easiest forum I've ever been part of. It also had by FAR the least amount of moderation which is pretty incredible.

@fury and whoever else created this website have given us an awesome community of race fans. It sucks that some posters feel abused by other posters. Super happy here. Ive learned so much about the technical side of things in my 7 or so years here and wish I joined back in 07 when I first saught out NASCAR forums.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

RayinTX

Team Owner
Contributor
Ummmmm..........
The exact same could be said about certain threads that you don't care for.
Which threads do I not care for? I'm pretty low key around here, only crybabies and a certain poster bug me but I don't post crying about it/them. And I don't really recall any threads that bother me...if they do, I just move on to something that interests me.

Whizzer

Gig'em
Contributor
I've been here a looooong time beginning when Paul ran the show, through to Fury. There was a time around 2006 or so when things looked bleak and there was concern this forum might not pull out successfully but things have a way of working out.
This is the only racing forum I participate in after trying others over the years and none come close to this one. Spammers and PITA types somehow get self-policed until they leave and the few, the very few, who have been banned earned their dismissal.

Hot button issues - religion, politics, abortion - are on the Podium where they belong.
Racing and berating an unfavored driver is fair game, up to a point, and when that point is reached a warning proves the system is working.

I do not and have not seen favoritism on this forum in the years since Fury took it over.

I urge everyone, please, in order to keep this forum working, donate.
Look at it this way, if you bought a cup of coffee at McDonald's today, you paid $2.00, Multiply that by five for each work day and that is $10.00 a week. Can't you afford a weeks worth of McDonald's coffee to support this website? Or better still, $50.00 or $100.00? And $50.00 is less than a dollar per week. Sounds like a lot of money but for the enjoyment regular posters glean from Racing Forums it is a small price to pay.

Old 97

Team Owner
Which threads do I not care for? I'm pretty low key around here, only crybabies and a certain poster bug me but I don't post crying about it/them. And I don't really recall any threads that bother me...if they do, I just move on to something that interests me.
It seems like you don't care for the subject matter on this thread and I think the Bubba 45 thread.
Just playing around anyhow.
Have a good raceday.

DIDIT

Old School Fan
I think this forum is just fine and honestly I couldn't even tell you who one of the "favorites" might be. I kind of view it as a big group sitting around a campfire talking about racing. You are always going to have those that dominate the conversations and those that like to throw an occasional jab. Many just enjoy sitting, staring at the fire and listening.

If I were asked what change I would make to this forum, my answer would be "nothing."

Thanks to everyone who gives us a place each day to discuss racing and if wanted even politics and other life events down in the basement.

Blaze

BRAVES AND DAWGS ARE CHAMPS!!
Everyone does know how to ignore, don't they? Why is a moderator necessary? Untwist your panties and R E L A X
You do realize some folks(me being one of them) deal with issues that ***** with their emotions and they take things the wrong way, or let stuff that normally wouldn’t upset them, upset them. So it’s not getting your panties twisted.

Mr. Gregory

R.I.P. Hana Kimura
Contributor
Yo, your boy heard the phone ringing and, like others in here, answered the call (again). Now then...

giphy.gif

Reactions: Pat

Spotter22

Team Owner
I've been accused of being shown favoritism by some on this forum but I can assure you I have an inbox that says otherwise. I have never blocked any posters nor have I reported any posts except maybe one in retaliation because it wasnt hard to figure out the poster and did it out of spite. Racing Forum is fun and I enjoy the banter but you cant take that Podium crap hole and flush it. Its poison.

34R7H130UND

Team Owner
I've been accused of being shown favoritism by some on this forum but I can assure you I have an inbox that says otherwise. I have never blocked any posters nor have I reported any posts except maybe one in retaliation because it wasnt hard to figure out the poster and did it out of spite. Racing Forum is fun and I enjoy the banter but you cant take that Podium crap hole and flush it. Its poison.
I'd rather the podium exist for the garbage to take itsself out there

Reactions: Pat

Blaze

Lol. Like I said earlier. Stuff gets deleted here that shouldn’t. Weak. Then these same folks who delete stuff probably the same folks who cry cancel culture.

BobbyFord

Secret Agent Man
Contributor
Lol. Like I said earlier. Stuff gets deleted here that shouldn’t. Weak. Then these same folks who delete stuff probably the same folks who cry cancel culture.
Some of my stuff gets deleted. Deservedly.
I need to learn to take it to PM more often.

Blaze

Cancel culture isn’t the same as deleting stuff
I mean, if you look at the stuff people bitch about being cancel culture, it basically is. They always like “FREEDOM OF SPEECH!” So technically deleting a post and saying “you can’t do that.” Is exactly the same

AuzGrams

Team Owner
I mean, if you look at the stuff people bitch about being cancel culture, it basically is. They always like “FREEDOM OF SPEECH!” So technically deleting a post and saying “you can’t do that.” Is exactly the same

I’m still mad they cancelled out the Firecracker 400 night race.

Blaze

My main point being, the same folks who cry canceling and freedom of speech, do the same thing. They don’t hate when people are silenced. Only when people they agree with are. It’s like Elon Musk. Oh I’m gonna buy Twitter because freedom of speech is needed! Then fired people whom talked bad about him.

(Before anyone says, yes I know freedom of speech is about the government not pushing you. I’m using other folks example here who then do the same thing)

Blaze

Please don't get political.
It’s the only way to get my point across, so I mean…

I just think y’all need to let things go a little bit more. Yeah if folks start name calling and personal attacks, sure delete that. But y’all delete soo much stuff that’s not that bad. Like there such thing as to much moderation.

Top Bottom