Who Spells

kat2220

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some people use poor grammar, spell totally wrong, do not use correct (if any) punctuiation. Some (like myself) make tyops.

That is not a reason to try to rake another over the coals.

Bashing a poster is wrong, just like wishing someone into the wall.

WRONG :( :mad:

:D I agree 100%. Spelling and english were not my strong points in school. I figure if you read a post and understood what they said what does it matter if words are spelled right.

Originally posted by Gollum
:D I agree 100%. Spelling and english were not my strong points in school. I figure if you read a post and understood what they said what does it matter if words are spelled right.

Thanks gollum from the other world. PURRRRRRRRRRr

Most times it is an error in typing. I am not a very good speller, but I keep one of Mr. Webster's books by the puter.:)

:hyper: We people here in Middle Earth can't spell anyway.

AND I've read the books, but as an old pooooot can't remember at this moment the name of the trilogy....HELP

Proper spelling and grammar should be something we strive for. I know I'm not the best but I try........chat room style posting is okay but, sometimes it's confusing. I use way too many .....'s and !!!!'s but hey, that's the way I think. Spelling is usually because I don't look it up all the time......I was "hooked on phonics" way back before phonics became popular (it was taught in grammar school) and I depend on it a little too much sometimes. Also, I am not the best typer so a lot of typos!!:)

Well DE, I know you didn't have Miss McCarthy (with blue hair) as your english teacher:p Like Alaska and I did.

PURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR to you and cutie, KAT:waver:

My English teacher was MIss Pittleman ( really!) She had blue hair and little round glasses, always had a lace hanky and smelled like lavender. I still have nightmares. But... went back to school and got a degree in English Lit and composition. i don't think it helped.

Originally posted by nascarwoman
My English teacher was MIss Pittleman ( really!) She had blue hair and little round glasses, always had a lace hanky and smelled like lavender. I still have nightmares. But... went back to school and got a degree in English Lit and composition. i don't think it helped.

Another reason to like you! I've got one too. And Paul. :)

(Right, Paul?)

Spelling was my worst subject in school. I can not spell to save my life.

Originally posted by Nascar24rainbow
Spelling was my worst subject in school. I can not spell to save my life.

And not not misspelled word in the post!!:)

I am a horrible speller and typer. I normaly get the miss spell the word thought and though and get them mixed up(i know probaly did that there) Good thing i am taking a writng class now!!

I try to be grammatically correct, unless I'm typing in dialect...

Y'all jis gotsta overlook us country folk, we cain't hep it if'n y'all all talk funny! Ain't everbody can be as perfect as we'uns is! :p

Originally posted by TN-Ward-Fan
I try to be grammatically correct, unless I'm typing in dialect...

Y'all jis gotsta overlook us country folk, we cain't hep it if'n y'all all talk funny!  Ain't everbody can be as perfect as we'uns is!  :p
FUNNY!!!!:D

Originally posted by kat2220
AND I've read the books, but as an old pooooot can't remember at this moment the name of the trilogy....HELP
:abduct: Hi kat the name of the trigoly is Lord of the Rings. 1- Fellowship of the ring 2- The two towers 3- Return of the king.

Call me "fancy fingers" but sometimes my typing gets ahead of me. I try to proofread as I go, but you know......

I'm not an english major or anything, but there are a few pet peaves I have. They are as follows...

The impropper use of too or to. As I can best explain it, TOO is used when describing an excess or also. i.e. "Too much, or "I did that too". TO Is used when indicating direction. i.e. "I went to the store", or "I gave this to you".

I'm really not trying to be a prude, but I do find it hard to follow when someone mis-uses this rule. Other than that, and at least attempting proper punctuation, I think it is fine to misspell(see I think I might have just done that myself). It is only when it is hard to understand what is being written that it becomes a problem.

I am a well educated person, but I have one problem. I've looked it up in the dictionary a hundred times, but it never sticks with me. I have a mental block on spelling the word their, or is it thier? Neither looks right to me. I look it up at least once a month, but I have never been able to keep that straight.

Most of my bad spelling comes from fat fingers on the keyboard an just plain not paying attention.Hey Ward. their stuff is right there!!!!!!!!!!

:abduct: Hi kat the name of the trigoly is Lord of the Rings. 1- Fellowship of the ring 2- The two towers 3- Return of the king.

Thank you Gollum and now I say DUH to kat.

If I may suggest something................

I have a free "Comet Cursor" where you can pick your own cursor, and in their address bar there are the following functions.....
Search, Web, Shopping, Travel, Dictionary, Encyclopedia and Fun.

If you download it (again, FREE) and use the dictionary and misspell a word, it gives you the closest match.

My cursor is a running white mouse, but there are hundreds to choose from.

PURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR KAT:waver: :D

I shudder sometimes when I read posts --- please forgive me, it's the English/Language Arts teacher in me. LOL

Misspelling really isn't the thing that sets my teeth on edge, though. The total lack of punctuation in some posts sometimes really confuses me.

I need a period every now and then to help this old lady understand. LOL

Originally posted by TexasRaceLady
I shudder sometimes when I read posts --- please forgive me, it's the English/Language Arts teacher in me.  LOL

Misspelling really isn't the thing that sets my teeth on edge, though.  The total lack of punctuation in some posts sometimes really confuses me.  

I need a period every now and then to help this old lady understand.  LOL
I wouldn't even mind a comma or a few spaces between thoughts. A capital letter every now and then may help TOO!

Runon sentences make me crazy. AND I HATED Proust (sp)

Back
Top Bottom