Who's more important...

buckaroo

Here kitty, kitty, kitty
Who is more important for a teams success, the players or the coach? Wake Forest fired Jim Caldwell in 2000 after only one winning season, yet now he is one win away from the biggest game in the NFL. I say it's the players, but great coordinaters are also needed both on the offensive and defensive side. If Caldwell is indeed a good/great coach, he will have to prove it with more than just one year as the top coach after he took over for a proven coach. I've seen this time and time again when a great coach retires or moves on and the next coach is able to continue winning for a year or two and then when the old coaches people begin to fade, so does the team. And bringing a good coach back doesn't mean that there will be instant improvement. I wish Caldwell all the best, but I'll be more interested in how long he can keep those Colts on top.

i think caldwell will do just fine as long as he keeps peyton manning happy. make no mistake in thinking peyton doesn't run the colts more than any other player/coach relationship in football. do you think brady could get belichick fired? i doubt it. if peyton wanted caldell gone i have no doubt he'd be packing his bags tomorrow. great players can make mediocre coaches appear great but a great coach can't make a mediocre team great.

great players can make mediocre coaches appear great but a great coach can't make a mediocre team great.
You hit that right on the nose. I remember when the Panther fans went nuts thinking the world was theirs when George Seifert was hired as coach. As an Oklahoma fan, I was euphoric when OU hired Howard Schnellenberger and I know those Redskin fans were buying tickets to the Super Bowl when they rehired Joe Gibbs. I do think you are right though about Peyton able to get the head coach fired if he so wanted.

Tough question....players with coach also important.

Nascar - driver or the car.

Tough question....players with coach also important.

Nascar - driver or the car.
better question, driver or crew chief. if the car isn't competitive nobody can win with it except at daytona, taladega and fuel mileage races. then it's just luck.

Back
Top Bottom