Who's this century's greatest driver?

Zerkfitting

Team Owner
I came across this poll. I think it reflects the popularity of the TV age.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/46131677

I think the best driver was Jim Clark because the racing was more hazardous during his era, and I don't know about the racers before him. I'd be more curious as to what era was the most competitive. During the time I've followed F1 it seems that one team tends to dominate for a period of time.

Are we just confining this to F1, or trying to throw other major series into the mix?

Of all time? Fangio, Senna, Schumacher, Clark, Prost. Something like that. If it's not just F1, then Andretti, Foyt, Petty, Pearson, etc. need to be in the mix.

Of this century? Probably still Schumacher, but Hamilton is definitely in the conversation and will only become more so. It is hard to get perspective on drivers who are still competing.

How is Jim Clark in the running for "this century?"

Whether it's F1 or NASCAR or any other form of racing, I consider it bogus to rank drivers of different eras, and also to rank drivers of different disciplines. I'll grant you that Alain Prost was a great F1 driver. And Kenny Roberts was a great MotoGP racer. But it is completely bogus to rank one ahead of the other, or to rank either of them above/below Cale Yarborough.

Drivel such as this is what we have to put up with during the off season..:dual9mm:

I tend to agree that ranking across eras is silly. Some have a permanent historical bias, others have a bias toward the current. Weighing drivers competing under vastly different circumstances is impossible.

The men that drove the open ****pit, Drivers head higher than the roll bar cars at the Indy 500, dirt sprints and F1 were either the bravest or dumbest men in the world. The men that did it, won and lived to tell the story are the best of the best. JMHO

This century ? probably Kyle Busch
images
"*"

16hmstd1nk10684.jpg

This century? Are we breaking it up by Series? Remember we have been in this century since December 31st 2000, so that’s my criteria. Formula 1: Michael Schumacher ( Lewis Hamilton oh so close. Vettel if he had more success at Ferrari you could make a case.)
Indy Car: Scott Dixon
NASCAR: Jimmie Johnson (KDB may surpass one day.)

Never happen.
Why not? Hes still young enough, he’s probably got about 10-12 years left at a high level. I don’t think he’ll get 7 championships in this format it’s way too random with the winner take all race in Miami. But if he passes JJ in wins and then wins say 3 more Cups to get to 4 that’s a compelling case IMO.

Why not? Hes still young enough, he’s probably got about 10-12 years left at a high level. I don’t think he’ll get 7 championships in this format it’s way too random with the winner take all race in Miami. But if he passes JJ in wins and then wins say 3 more Cups to get to 4 that’s a compelling case IMO.
Mainly because the last time that I was in New Orleans I bought a Voodoo Doll of him and a fresh bundle of pins to stick in it. :booya:

Back
Top Bottom