Who's with me on this?

Ciggie, if that was a joke, it was not very funny. I think you need to make better word choices when you are joking, or at least let everyone know that it was definitely a joke. The "Big One" is really not something to joke about. Wrecks are NEVER funny, just costly. Sometimes in more ways than one. This is a dangerous sport, and yes these guys chose to drive these cars, but please do not make light of the wrecks, as they are not really a joking matter. Now, back to regular programming.

Originally posted by Ciggie
I like restrictor plate racing, waiting to see the big one is always fun.

Ciggie, that is sick! RESPECT ALL AND WISH NO HARM, ALL wrecks are terrifying to some degree, but to anticipate it with glee is not even worth the pity.

I don't mind the restrictor plates, don't hate them, don't super like them either. I think it may bring up the strategy level some since they can't go as fast and they have to use other means to win.

Guess it's my turn to wiegh in on this. First, let me say I'm not a huge fan of restrictor plates. But I'm not overly fond of road races either. We have both styles of racing every year.....four restrictor plates and two road races. Do I watch them? Yes. Do I dread them? No. Do I anticipate the "big one"? Again no. Am I sure there will be a big one? Nope.......just as I'm not sure Jr or Mikey will win them. History has shown that the "big one" is more likely to happen on the plate tracks......but a big one has failed to show up in the past (don't have the stats like HS but I've seen plate races where there simply was not a big wreck). I think like, at least, a couple of you have stated that the problem could be solved by unrestricting the cars......let them go as fast as they can. Do you think a driver is going to hit turn one at 240 flat footed and no lifting? I don't think so......those guys are daring and brave but I don't know of any of them with a death wish!! I was a fan before restrictor plates......restrictor plates came about in the 80's to try to keep the car from going airborne entering the turns. The thought was to slow them down....but now aerodymanics has progressed to a point that the cars get heavier, not lighter, the faster they go. They have roof flaps to help the cars stay down when they get side ways or backwards. About the only thing I see that is still a potential problem is air getting under the cars if they should start spinning on a straight away........but maybe hang a skirt on the sides to just an inch or so above the pavement to stop that (might not be the solution but I'm sure someone who knows aerodymanics like the engineers in NASCAR do could figure that out pretty easy). People keep saying lower the banking to force them to slow down......they will slow down believe me!!

That's my ideas. BTW, I want to see one of these people here who say they can win at Talladega or Daytona in a DEI car actually do it! I just can't stop laughing sometimes at how much ingnorance some people are willing to display with statements like that.

I hate the plates.

Windsor

P.S. SelesFreak, I didn't post that in response to your post...it just came naturally...no malintent.

I'm not sure if anyone hates restrictor plate "racing" more than I do. But, since the Browns game isn't on until sunday night, I will probably watch most of it. It is also way too late in the points race to let even a plate "race" keep me from tuning in. It may be just what someone like Jeff Gordon needs for a few points leaders to be taken out in the "big one", but I still think it sucks.

Talledega is like the town tramp. Everyone takes thier turn and then somebody ruins it for the rest.

lol very funny bump drafting...it is true tho

browns suck anyway who wants to watch them :D

IF you want to use statistics you must compare non restrictor plate races to restrictor plate races!

In Reality though all you have to use is common sense! When was the last time there was a lead change on the last lap at Daytona or Talledega????? A lot of the lead changes take place on caution flags and not when racing!

I sure can't remember!

The leader has an advantage at these tracks with the current rules package!

I'm all for bringing back the slingshot racing of the 80's! That was fun to watch !!!!!!! The speeds now a days are just too slow on these tracks! I can go to Germany and run 160 MPH on the Autobahn In a Street car and these cup cars only do 180 at Daytona! The cars are safe enough to increase the speeds to around 200 MPH! Nascar is just too chicken to try it!

The stats for lead changes and leaders you are more than welcome to compare to any non-plate you choose. You find one with a better average, let me know.

Tony Stewart fans should remember the Spring race of 2001. Bobby Hamilton took the lead over Tony on lap 187 (of 188 laps) and won the race by .085 seconds over Tony. During that race there were 37 lead changes among 27 drivers. There were also 0 (that means none) caution flags. This is without even looking hard for facts.

The leader has the advantage at EVERY track under the current aero rules.

The cars at Dega qualify at around 185 to 186 average and race faster than that. Top speed is likely topping 190 to 195 on the straights.

Hardscrabble

I guess it all comes down to personal opinions and preferences! I watched the racing before the restrictor plates and after restrictor plates. I really enjoyed the pre plate racing a lot better! I also like the higher speeds that they ran back then too! I feel like the current racing just isnt as good! We don't see last lap passes for the win like we used to in nascar at the plate tracks and I also think that more drivers are getting hurt now adays than before restrictor plates! Roof flaps and bigger fences have solved some of the major issues with accidents in the 80's. It wouldn't hurt nascar to try and find a way to take the plates off and reduce engine horsepower through different means!

Opinions vary. I hate plate racing, have since it started, don't hold out much hope of ever liking it. In fact, I said out loud after Ward won Daytona this year that it would have been sweeter if he had actually won it instead of merely surviving it. But to each his/her own and a little more.

Tn Ward fan is a smart guy !

Please answer one question for me.

How do you get away with stating your opinions and not get kicked out of here? I think me and u pretty much have the same opionions and ideas on issues in nascar.

I'm always about to get kicked out of here. I need your help.

:D

It's all a matter of how you go about it, ts1. if you are an a$$ about it, you are going to get kicked out. If you state your opinion and give other people to state theirs, fine.

Its not polite to answer when your weren't asked the question!

Arent you the pilot guy that I had a big argument that one night? That was a bad bad argument!

You fly for Delta if I remember correctly?

I do wish he would stop saying that he and I share anything besides a planet. Makes me look bad, and I don't need much help in that area.

I look away one second, and there's another post with over 60 responses. I'm getting slow, i think it might be nap time.

TS1,

It is a matter of personal preference. I think I posted on this thread at least twice that I am not a fan of plate racing. But the reason is that a whole slew of bunched up cars dependent on another car for any type of competitive speed simply does not appeal to me. The packs of cars tend to magnify any miscalculation by a driver to level which for me is unacceptable.

The plate races lend their own type of excitement and competition with a whole lot of passing and generally a bunch of folks with a shot to win the race. Lots of people are going to going to be drawn to the thrill of the pack.

Strangely, I can remember quite clearly having conversations back in the 70's and early 80's with folks who were convinced that something had to be done about the "slingshot" pass. It simply is (was) not fair that the car out front has (had) no shot of holding his lead. It is (was) ruining the real racing because nobody wants to be the leader on the last lap and all the good cars are laying back to let someone else have the front. That is not racing!!.

Ya just can't make everybody happy. ;)

I just hope the Gibbs boys do things a little different this time...like not hangin out in the back of the pack and ending up upside-down. Happens every fricken time. Come on, Smoke, stay safe up front.

I agree 100%. Seems to me that Tony doesn't want to run that way anymore. I think Bobby still might. Then again having a teammate around for drafting would be nice.

Whatever the Gibbs boys have been doing for the last 5 years they should keep doing. Bobby probably has the best finishing average over the last five years and Tony is in the top five driver averages. Seems Tony finished 2nd in both races last year and a second place might just erase some of that 36 point deficit, maybe all of it.

Originally posted by DE Wrangler 2
Guess it's my turn to wiegh in on this.  First, let me say I'm not a huge fan of restrictor plates.  But I'm not overly fond of road races either.  We have both styles of racing every year.....four restrictor plates and two road races.  Do I watch them?  Yes.  Do I dread them?  No.  Do I anticipate the "big one"?  Again no.  Am I sure there will be a big one?  Nope.......just as I'm not sure Jr or Mikey will win them.  History has shown that the "big one" is more likely to happen on the plate tracks......but a big one has failed to show up in the past (don't have the stats like HS but I've seen plate races where there simply was not a big wreck).  I think like, at least, a couple of you have stated that the problem could be solved by unrestricting the cars......let them go as fast as they can.  Do you think a driver is going to hit turn one at 240 flat footed and no lifting?  I don't think so......those guys are daring and brave but I don't know of any of them with a death wish!!  I was a fan before restrictor plates......restrictor plates came about in the 80's to try to keep the car from going airborne entering the turns.  The thought was to slow them down....but now aerodymanics has progressed to a point that the cars get heavier, not lighter, the faster they go.  They have roof flaps to help the cars stay down when they get side ways or backwards.  About the only thing I see that is still a potential problem is air getting under the cars if they should start spinning on a straight away........but maybe hang a skirt on the sides to just an inch or so above the pavement to stop that (might not be the solution but I'm sure someone who knows aerodymanics like the engineers in NASCAR do could figure that out pretty easy).  People keep saying lower the banking to force them to slow down......they will slow down believe me!!  

That's my ideas.  BTW, I want to see one of these people here who say they can win at Talladega or Daytona in a DEI car actually do it!  I just can't stop laughing sometimes at how much ingnorance some people are willing to display with statements like that.

say what you want but I dont see owners putting in diffirent drivers for RP tracks ( you broung up road courses and RP track comparison).

Agreed Hardscrable, but I don't remember Tony hanging in the back last year. Could be wrong, but I thought he tried going up front.

Windsor, from your earlier post, no problemo...I would take it naturally anyway,

I say if the cars have the technology to go faster then let him but then you have to consider the safety issues...so who knows I'm mainly in the middle of this issue, Maybe if I saw more earlier races with out the plates I'd be swayed more towards that direction.

Originally posted by TN-Ward-Fan
Now let's be honest.  Is anyone else dreading this restrictor plate fiasco?  I mean, sit around all day and watch everyone follow Junior and All-lip, wait for Steve Park to cause a 27 car wreck, and see who gets to race for third after the dust settles.  Oh hold me back, I tremble with excitement.

It's looking like an NFL Sunday for sure.  NASCAR Follow the Leader.

I agree 100%,that & Daytona tracks(with restrictor plates)r most boring races on schedule IMO!
Bring us more road courses & short track racing & We'll really have something to talk about rather than sleepiong thru these 4 current events,JMO!:D :D

The cars can be slowed without killing the engine. The best way would be to use narrower tires. No way a driver will go flat out into a turn he can't handel.

I hate the big one, but love the tight racing,the extra pit stops will make this one very interesting.
And yes I have to agree that DE was the best at these high speed chess games.

i like the races. the tight and blocking going from one lane to the next. i dont like the big one but i expect it in the last 100 laps

Back
Top Bottom