Why doesn’t someone build an old Bristol

I wish they'd put dirt back on Bristol. Run a truck race one weekend, dirt late models the next weekend, and sprint cars the third weekend.

I wish they'd put dirt back on Bristol. Run a truck race one weekend, dirt late models the next weekend, and sprint cars the third weekend.
I love this idea but I'd rather them run those back to back to back within 7-10 days so I could take off work and drive down from New York and camp out for the whole thing. I wouldn't miss it. I could do a week but probably not three.

It was said that the process of all the heavy truckloads of dirt and associated equipment being brought in and out damaged the surrounding roads and such. Not sure about the veracity of that, but at this point they are more focused on trying to host football games, concerts, and more lucrative events.

I'm sure someone already touched on this but no investor ever wants to invest on a dying....oops my bad, on a sport that has been on a down trend for almost 10 years now.

When track owners are actually tearing down big sections of stands, you know things are bad.

I'm sure someone already touched on this but no investor ever wants to invest on a dying....oops my bad, on a sport that has been on a down trend for almost 10 years now.

When track owners are actually tearing down big sections of stands, you know things are bad.
I tend to agree with this no new tracks will be built in the near future, auto racing in general is contracting not expanding.

Good one. I have some fond memories of I-70 from childhood. Here's what it looks like now.

SAFER walls and maybe a couple other upgrades needed.

Who needs SAFER when you can throw some dirt on it?

I remember when I first saw the video of the abandoned track last year. I thought "Wow, it still can go worse than North Wilkesboro."
I never thought they could ever return to racing there.

the only feasible place is a covered bristol type track in between Seattle and Vancouver bc. on the i5.
huge untapped market there.

It's a shame the NYC(Staten Island) track never got built. The crowds would have been great in my opinion.

As I recall they couldn't build there, too much chemicals in the ground that would have been pushed into the water. Like putting a brick on a soaked sponge.

The traffic would've been a nightmare. It's already bad enough. Throw in a race crowd and you have a traffic jam of epic proportions.

It would have been once or twice a year. If we can shut down bridges and streets for stupid running marathons we could have done this and at least brought a ton of money in for a weekend and more jobs. The morons here in this city bitch and moan about traffic but fail to do anything about the terrible conditions of public transportation and the continuing building of houses and buildings as if we need more people here. I hate everyone lol

It would have been once or twice a year. If we can shut down bridges and streets for stupid running marathons we could have done this and at least brought a ton of money in for a weekend and more jobs. The morons here in this city bitch and moan about traffic but fail to do anything about the terrible conditions of public transportation and the continuing building of houses and buildings as if we need more people here. I hate everyone lol
While agree that if a marathon can shut down the traffic, other things can too, you're overlooking that the runners bring in a ton of visitor dollars.

While agree that if a marathon can shut down the traffic, other things can too, you're overlooking that the runners bring in a ton of visitor dollars.

You're right, I just hate the damn things because they actually shut down streets and bridges for them. I don't even bother going out anywhere near them if they happen. The track would have just had major traffic on a highway that has traffic the majority of the time anyway.

You're right, I just hate the damn things because they actually shut down streets and bridges for them. I don't even bother going out anywhere near them if they happen. The track would have just had major traffic on a highway that has traffic the majority of the time anyway.
It won't make either of us feel any better, but there's nothing unique going on. I live in a suburban town of a city with a population of maybe 300K when the university is in session and Ft. Jackson is full of basic trainees. The suburb shuts down major streets twice a year for half marathons, and the city probably does it three or four (not counting the traffic jams for the university football games). I'm sure I could easily avoid it all if I moved to East Ratsass, WY, but I don't want to live in the boonies so ...

We have one even in our town. It shuts every friggin thing down. They have over 8,000 entrants every year. Click on the link and look at the picture.

https://runsignup.com/Race/Events/FL/Pensacola/McGuiresStPatricksDayPrediction5KRun

I don't know why the organizers don't put the races in the boonies. Shut down two lanes of a four lane road, use the remaining two for one lane of auto traffic each way. Why have them in the business districts? It's not like the runners are going to stop and buy anything.

I don't know why the organizers don't put the races in the boonies. Shut down two lanes of a four lane road, use the remaining two for one lane of auto traffic each way. Why have them in the business districts? It's not like the runners are going to stop and buy anything.
Before during and after our race the downtown area has the biggest day of the year. Especially the bars and restaurants. That's why a restaurant sponsors the damn thing.

Before during and after our race the downtown area has the biggest day of the year. Especially the bars and restaurants. That's why a restaurant sponsors the damn thing.
Yeah, I guess that puts the event close to the hotels used by the visiting runners. Holding a large marathon in the boonies raises the question of how runners would get there and where they'd park. I guess chartered buses could be used. I don't know how spectators would get there, but I've never understood why people choose to watch marathons, bicycle races, and other events where you see a tiny portion of a huge course.

It's not like marathons are any worse (or better) than parades, street festivals, scheduled protests, movie shoots, and the other things that motivate cities to close down streets and public places.

The last 2 tracks I can think of Iowa and Kentucky. Both ended up being sold for a fraction of the cost it took to build them. It will be interesting to see the road coarse deal at Charlotte

NA$CAR already had a road course in Daytona, way not race it? Works for the 24 hour of Daytona.

Back
Top Bottom