Why JJ fell out of the title chase...

S

stridsberry

...I bet you all didn't know this.

In the 2nd half of the season - 17 races to date - Jimmie has exactly ONE top-5 finish. That being his 2nd Dover win. I find it hard to believe myself, but it's true - only one top-5 run since Chicago way back in early July.

No wonder he fell out of the hunt.

It would be kinda neat for a rookie to win the title but I wouldn't want Johnson to be the one to do it.

Why not 66?? To me he seems like a real good candidate for an accomplishment like that. He races clean and aggressive, he knows the mechanical side of stock cars, he appears to be a good rep for his sponsor and has quickly built a fan base. I would think that he would be prime material for a rookie Nascar champion. I'm not saying Ryan would not be, I am just curious why you would not want it to be Jimmie.

Of the young guns the one I would least likely to see be a WC champion is Kurt Busch. I was pretty impressed with him early on but this year his attitude and his comment a few weeks ago about now knowing what it meant to add forward bite to get more grip really turned me off. There's a lot more to a Champion than just ability behind the wheel.

Kel

Originally posted by 66mustang
It would be kinda neat for a rookie to win the title but I wouldn't want Johnson to be the one to do it.

If JJ was in a Ford would that change your mind?:D

I just think Newman is the better of the two. I think Johnson is a great driver, even if he drives a (can't say it) but I'd rather see Newman get it first.

If Johnson would have been with any other team,he would have been a whole differant story.If you don't believe that you are numb. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by pbunch
If Johnson would have been with any other team,he would have been a whole differant story.If you don't believe that you are numb. :rolleyes:

Is that good or bad pbunch? Is Gordon and Hendrick such a good team or is it Gordon's fans supporting JJ just because he's Jeffie's protege?

Geeze, I may be numb!:)

In ASA you could see the natural ability of Jimmie Johnson. There was no doubt in my mind that he would be a force in Cup and I may be numb as well pbunch because I think we would have been impressed this year if he ran in any car but BAM!

Kel

I don't think your numb,But Jimmie had all the right tools for sure.;)

Originally posted by DJFan
In ASA you could see the natural ability of Jimmie Johnson.  There was no doubt in my mind that he would be a force in Cup and I may be numb as well pbunch because I think we would have been impressed this year if he ran in any car but BAM!

Kel

What makes you think he could step from a so-so busch team into a so-so cup team and whip it out? Having the rights tools and people around him helped out the most.

Originally posted by 66mustang
What makes you think he could step from a so-so busch team into a so-so cup team and whip it out?  Having the rights tools and people around him helped out the most.

That's true mustang........he had the right people and tools around him. But without the ability to use that help he would be just another rookie who moved up too soon. Hate to say it, but Casey is a prime example.

To use a hypothetical: RCR decides to move Kerry Earnhardt up next year. Give him all the help and tools his dad had (and Dale Sr had a lot of tools and help during his career). I doubt very seriously that Kerry would do worth a damned in Cup. He just doesn't have the ability.

Another example: Ryan Newman came to Penski. Has every bit the tools as JJ and probably more of the raw ability, yet he just plugged along learning and doing quite well. He didn't come on strong like JJ so he's sort of left out of the fanfare that JJ has. Why is everyone talking JJ instead of Ryan? Is it luck? JJ had a lot of luck his first dozen races or so....Ryan did not.

It's a big combination of ability, tools, help and LUCK! This year no rookie is going to win the Cup.....but it will happen sooner or later and it will be a combination of everything.

And that driver just may drive a Chevy!!:D

Originally posted by DE Wrangler 2
And that driver just may drive a Chevy!!:D

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! Well, I guess Kevin drives a Chevy (too bad). Its obvious that they both have great talent. I just think that if you put Johnson and Newman in equally fast cars, Newman would win. He qualifies better and seems to stay out of trouble more.

COME ON WRANGMAN,You don't think that Jimmie got more attention than Ryan Because of Jeff?I am getting lost between who has the team,And who has the driver.This is not a Chevy Ford thing.Its a who is handed good equipment thing.

Originally posted by pbunch
COME ON WRANGMAN,You don't think that Jimmie got more attention than Ryan Because of Jeff?I am getting lost between who has the team,And who has the driver.This is not a Chevy Ford thing.Its a who is handed good equipment thing.

I think Johnson got more attention because he started out so good and surprised everybody.

I bet Jimmie Spencer is re thinking his career moves right now,And thinking about going to Kurt Busch for pointers.:D

Jimmie Th Fly Boy Johnson has had one hell of a year, it shocked th hell out of me that he has stayed in th top ten as long as he has.
With all them hand-me down car's and that RH equipment and th Flamin Boy showin him th way, i would say he's done damn good.
But let's not forget what happen to Cap-Happy this being his sophmore year.
Ryan Hello Newman has just been consistant , and let's not forget th big switch to Dodge for that whole team next year.
Yeah Ryan will take th rookie of th year trophy this weekend, but we will see just what happens this last race.

Go Dale Jr................one last win this weekend.:beerchug:

PDR.............I think you said it all!!:D

Let's re-analyze this rookie stuff in two years........then we will really see who just might have it or who was just running on luck and hype!:D

PDR.............I think you said it all!!:D  

Let's re-analyze this rookie stuff in two years........then we  will really see who just might have it or who was just running on luck and hype!:D
Beer's to ya! DE Wrangler 2

Let's re-analyze this rookie stuff in two years........then we  will really see who just might have it or who was just running on luck and hype!:D

Kinda like Junior and Kenseth? 5 wins to 2.

Now in that scenario I think it is Jr with more natural ability and Kenseth with more support. Robbie and that champ pit crew team have made a world of difference for Matt.

OMG, that is twice in one thread I have fingered a CHEVY driver to be better than a FORD! This from a born and raised Ford family!! Shame on me!

Oh Well...thats racin'!

I like Jimmie and Ryan equally. I would say I like Jimmy a little better though because he drives Chevy. Maybe next year Ryan will do good for Dodge. I hate Fords so I have a hard time rooting for them.

jimmies season took a nose dive after he hit his teacher in the rear end at martinsville. jeff had a bad day that day (complained about the track, got hit by jimmie and got front ended by jeff burton)

Originally posted by TN-Ward-Fan
Kinda like Junior and Kenseth?  5 wins to 2.

Good and correct point TWF........but why did you direct that at me?:)

Okay......just as long as you know I'm a Jr fan, but I'm not a blind fan. Glad you cleared that up!:D

Have a couple on me.:beerchug: :beerchug:

Back
Top Bottom